Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
I've refused a photo request when I was in the middle of doing prop repairs; she took the photo anyway. I asked her why she'd even bothered to ask and she shrugged awkwardly.

Don't be that person.
I totally understand reasons for declining photos, have done so myself, but is it really that big of a deal if someone snaps a picture anyway?
Since you're in a public forum they didn't have to ask in the first place, its just a courtesy. If that's the photo she wants to take then let her, its her loss that it won't look as good as it could have had they waited till the cosplayer was ready.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I have said no before when I was in half cosplay, checking into my hotel room. I told them nicely to look for me later on when I was ready.
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

is it a big deal? Probably not. But if you're going to disregard the cosplayer anyway, why make a pretense of having manners.

I've had people tell me no for photos, and while sometimes a reason doesn't seem obvious, if a person says no, you should respect that. I've said no a few times, usually because I was running late for something.

Upcoming Costumes
Alibaba - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
H/A Elsa - Frozen
Yunan - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Mephisto Pheles - Ao No Exorcist
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
CosplayPandah

I have had it when people take photos without your permission. I mean really? I was doing RCMP Canada at AX 2012 And hold a tray, my polar bear, bag, and flag and she simply took a picture. But I was okay with it. I also had one where this old man came up to us and took a pic
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #20
TenTigerLilies
Phuriously Khorrupt Lily

I did once. The first time I actually wore my Soul costume was at a small con, but it had turned out to be quite a mess when I did; seams were coming loose for some reason, my hair wouldn't stay put, and I'd had to take my teeth off, and so when someone asked me for a picture, I just told them, I'm sorry, but I can't at the moment as I may as well not be wearing half of my costume. (Which wasn't unreasonable, but they acted as if it was.)
*Ryoga Hibiki - Ranma 1/2
*Soul Eater Evans - Soul Eater
*Antonio Salieri - Mozart L'Opera Rock
*Rapunzel - Tangled

~Upcoming costumes:
*Miss Martian - Young Justice - 70%
*Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece - 60%
*Kotetsu T. Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny - 40%
*Ryuk - Death Note - 30%
*Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender - 5%
TenTigerLilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #21
Emi
want some pins with that?

I've only declined once, when part of my prop had broken and I was fixing it. The girl was very understanding and waited around until I finished fixing it to take a picture.

[Next Cons]: AWA // Holiday Matsuri

[Progress]

Ryuko Matoi (Senketsu School Uniform) - 90%
Kida Masaomi (Yellow Scarves) - 10%

tumblr
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #22
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I have. Sometimes people just decide to take photos while I'm eating or ordering food, in the bathroom, etc. and those are times when I say "Sorry, but I'm a little busy now, if you see me later I'll be happy to pose for you"

As for people taking photos without asking (creeper pics, mostly encountered when outside of the con), if I see the person I call them out on it. I usually say something like "You know if you want a picture, you can just ask" and usually people look at me with a confused and embarrassed expression and then walk away. Even if they don't apologize I am just happy that I made them aware of their actions. I did this to a couple of obnoxious teens and they ran away lol it was pretty funny

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #23
Adnarim
ROAR

I've gently and kindly said no on some occasions. For reasons most of you already covered. Running late, busy getting to a shoot or event I'm participating in, food or heavily inconvenienced at the time (like holding everyone's stuff while they get food or use the restroom). I had once declined a photo while in the bathroom---but mentioned if you give me a few minutes I can be out and you can get your pic then. XP
I always feel bad declining a photo and am very apologetic.
Raiden - Metal Gear Rising
Ragyo Kiryuin - Kill la Kill
Paige the Notepad - Don't hug me I'm scared
Asari Commando - Mass Effect 3

Then: PAX South
Raiden - Metal Gear Rising
Lissandra - League of Legends
Lilith- Diablo 3
Tali - Dragon Effect
Adnarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #24
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

I have a few times for the following reasons:

-I was eating. (seriously, I am not standing up and leaving my meal for a photo)

-I was on my way to another event.

-I was staffing and was "on duty".

Most people are pretty understanding and will either find you later or just smile and walk away.
...Or they at least walk away out of earshot before calling me a bitch..lol
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #25
Comp_Stein

Said no once because some of my makeup had gotten under my contact and I needed to get back to my room and take care of it. Hurt like hell.
Comp_Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DLogic View Post
I totally understand reasons for declining photos, have done so myself, but is it really that big of a deal if someone snaps a picture anyway?
Since you're in a public forum they didn't have to ask in the first place, its just a courtesy.
Getting a crappy photo taken of me is not a big deal. There are hundreds of awful ones of me. Getting my actively-expressed wishes deliberately pissed on is.

It's not the photo. It's getting a personal demonstration that saying no means fuck-all. Think about that before you dismiss it as a subject worthy of concern, guy.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #27
xIkuna

Quote:
Since you're in a public forum they didn't have to ask in the first place, its just a courtesy. If that's the photo she wants to take then let her, its her loss that it won't look as good as it could have had they waited till the cosplayer was ready.
Um, yeah it's a big deal. It's completely rude, for one. And like Mangochutney said, it's really disrespectful to ignore someone's answer, especially if someone asked in the first place! Not to mention it shows your lack of social awareness, and if you can't take no for an answer you probably shouldn't be there anyways.

Cosplays:
Laurel Lance (Black Canary)- Arrow
Maggie Greene- The Walking Dead
Coco- RWBY

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #28
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Getting a crappy photo taken of me is not a big deal. There are hundreds of awful ones of me. Getting my actively-expressed wishes deliberately pissed on is.

It's not the photo. It's getting a personal demonstration that saying no means fuck-all. Think about that before you dismiss it as a subject worthy of concern, guy.
That's a really emotionally driving statement when viewed on its own... The problem with that statement is that in this situation, your opinion, "actively-expressed" or otherwise, does mean "fuck-all". You don't get to decide whether or not someone can take a photo of you if you're in a public place. No one does, its a risk you take when you enter public view. Go ahead, look up the laws if you don't believe me.

This isn't a concept that is exclusive to cosplay and conventions nor do you get extra rights to privacy just because you're wearing a silly costume, this pertains to everyday life too and is a pretty widely known fact, that is the reason it's not worth getting upset about. No one is saying that it's not rude, nor am I advocating acting that way, but if you let yourself get all worked up over every discourteous act you see then you're going to be spending a lot more time pissed off than you would enjoying life or the convention you may be attending.

Of course there is a line where this legal right stops, and anything past that line is harassment and/or invasion of privacy and should be dealt with as such, but those aren't the issues being discussed here.

On a side note... what's with the "guy" comment at the end? Gender has no bearing on anything I said or what's being discussed, unless you're confused about that, the only other explanation I can see is that it was meant to belittle my opinion as if to say 'who are you and why does your opinion matter'. To that all I'll say is, let's keep the passive-aggressive undertones to a minimum, insults do nothing but ruin what could be insightful, poignant conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
And like Mangochutney said, it's really disrespectful to ignore someone's answer, especially if someone asked in the first place! Not to mention it shows your lack of social awareness, and if you can't take no for an answer you probably shouldn't be there anyways.
Alright, lets run with this... What if the photographer doesn't ask? If the person being photographed happens to notice and is offended because they didn't want to be photographed at that time, is that equally as rude? Does that also mean the photographer "shouldn't be there anyway"?
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #29
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
plenty of text
Not passive-agressive: You're a jackass and it has nothing to do with your gender.

Legal rights --- my ass, the entire comment is about someone asking for a picture, the cosplayer saying no, and someone snapping a picture anyway.

It has nothing to do with legal rights. It's about someone saying "No, don't do it." and people doing it anyway.

Simple stuff, you don't need a document written in legalese to tell you the acceptable boundaries of this.

Last edited by Kildread : 12-19-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #30
EmoxJerk
Love Way Connection

I SHOULD have declined a photographer back when I first volunteered for Anime Expo. I was working the registration line and I had on the volunteer's vest over my cosplay and they insisted on a picture. I declined at first, but he kept begging so I just let him. Now I regret it >_> It was my first time cosplaying so I didn't really know the do's and don'ts yet >_<

But the only time I really did decline a photo was when I was eating and talking on the phone. (I know, bad manners, but I was speaking to my mother lol)
-Hanji / Rivaille (AoT)
-Snow Miku

Facebook | WorldCosplay
EmoxJerk is offline   Reply With Quote