Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #61
djlemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven-Sama View Post
One other note on Photography is that if you take a picture of me, I would like to see it. I think it would be nice if people would try more often to exchange information about where to find said photos after they've been taken.
Indeed. I also want people I photograph to see my pictures of them.. I watch my flickr views like a hawk. That's the whole reason I found this site in the first place- trying to track down cosplayers I had shot. I emailed all the people who gave me THEIR cards who I got photos of- but actually I think only 1 ever responded back. Oh well. Next time I will be sure to have cards!

Unread 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #62
gbright1

There are a few common times when I will say no to a photo.

1) if I am not sully in cosplay. Say you are taking off some of the pieces to go back to the room. You might still look epic, but I only want my full costume photographed.

2) In a hurry to get some place. If you have to meet up with some one or get to a panel it might be time to say no.

3) Also if you have a personal photographer and some one else comes. If they want a picture of your current pose that's fine, but if they start asking for something else it is a no. Many photographers are book and you have limited time with them, so please respect a cosplayer and don't interfere with other photographers.

4) Ultimate creeper. There is one guy who stalked a friend of mine and would take repeated picture of certain cosplayers. Since we all recognize him we turn him down for photos if he asks.
gbright1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #63
Wobniar
Whooosh!!

I think I may be the only one who doesn't have a problem with people asking for pictures when I'm eating/taking a break for some reason, haha. Not really sure why though, I guess it just doesn't bug me that much.
I don't think I've turned down a picture just yet but it would probably be when, like most people have said, when I'm in a rush or when my costume is in need of fixing/adjusting

Upcoming cons:
Anime Los Angeles 2015
Anime Expo 2014

Costumes in Making:
Roxie/Homika (Pokemon)
Val'kyr (WoW)
Illusen (Neopets)

Wobniar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #64
Gummibar

I've said no maybe twice in the time I've cosplayed. One was when I had an obvious wardrobe malfunction and another was when I was sitting. When I sit, that means I am tired and need a breather.
Gummibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #65
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

In the 6 Years of Photographing Cosplayers I have Only been turned down twice for asking if i can take pictures of a Cosplayer.

1. The Hatsune Miku Cosplayer had just gotten a phone call and had to rush home.

2. There were 4 Cosplayers that were on the way to a Cosplay Repair Station because 2 of their props broke and 1 cosplayer was having trouble with their armor.

but I have Always come across the Most Awesome Cosplayers!! Always smiling and letting me take their Picture!

------
I have Cosplayed a couple times in 07 and 08 had my picture take a couple time but had to turn down 1 person because I was eating. I felt bad for the guy because he liked my Cosplay, i tried to find him later in the day but i guess he had already left con.
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #66
Li_Syaoran
Lone Wolf

Usually when I say no to photos is when
1. Costume not 100% complete
2. If I am with my buddies and we're planning on where to go next
3. If I spot something that wasn't on my cosplay that wasn't there before
CureCos:http://en.curecos.com/profile/?ch=331883
Cos Group Page:https://www.facebook.com/LonewolfCosplay

Current Anime Con list
Sakura con 2013
Male Black Rock Shooter
Sword Art Online Gun-master/Swordsman Kirito
Male Suit Saber from Fate Prototype
Imitation Black Kagamine Len
Li_Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #67
mqnania
Baller

I feel bad for telling people no so I've never said no, even when people catch me eating. I was at Gen Con in 2011 as a little sister from Bioshock. I hadn't eaten all day and we were waiting for a Magic tournament so I ran and grabbed a pretzel real quick. I had like three people stop me, pretzel in my hands, and ask for a picture. I just set the pretzel aside for a moment, posed, and cried a little on the inside cause I was friggin hungry XD

As others have said though, if I'm having a cosplay malfunction, I probably would ask them to find me later. Nobody wants a picture of a broken cosplay? XD
mqnania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #68
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaunit01berser View Post
If I say no to a picture, it usually means I am dog tired, fixing something or trying to get somewhere, therefore, my time is now extremely valuable and will cost you to take some of it. I choose the price, that can range from simply ruining your shot to embarrassing you in the middle of a crowd to chucking a water bottle aimed at your camera. The price is determined by my mood and how much of an entitled dick someone acts like.
Ah, now that's assault, which IS illegal. And kinda rude, if you ask me.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #69
Amanita

^Yeah, that could get you kicked out of a con. Assaulting somebody and damaging property is a little over the top. Yeah, it's rude to take a picture after you've turned them down for a good reason, but assault is just uncalled for.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #70
KatyCruel

I don't think I've ever turned anyone down for a photo. The only time I think I would was if I was late to something (something big - like checking out of the hotel), or if I was eating after being an idiot and not eating for quite a while.

Unlike a lot of people I don't mind being asked for pictures when I'm taking a break. And I'm also very aware of when more people than who asked take pictures. If I'm posing for someone specific who asked and more people come up to take pictures, I will keep posing until everyone's done. Having done a bit of photography myself, I know how frustrating it is to get a picture of someone half out of a pose.

I don't think I've ever been told no, but that's probably because I don't do that much picture taking. All my friends who couldn't go with me are always annoyed at how few pictures I get, but honestly, I'd rather enjoy the con with my own eyes instead of through a camera lens.
KatyCruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #71
sephygoth
Hater lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCruel View Post
my friends who couldn't go with me are always annoyed at how few pictures I get, but honestly, I'd rather enjoy the con with my own eyes instead of through a camera lens.
I'm with you on that. So many of us like to share what we do, but for some reason everyone thinks we must be under the scope, no one can just look and enjoy.
I turn down a lot of pics, only because so many people ask me at once. Usually it's because my makeup is terrible/end, we're behind schedule for things that are only once a year(+ hundreds of miles away), bathroom, hotel room, even while ordering food...a drinks usually just delayed XD
on the water bottle idea? I think evaunit001 was just saying what we'd all LIKE to do, too many ppl point these dam things in my face, literally, and it's a big invasion of personal space. Dude in NYC walked right up to me last OCT, slammed into me with his chest and tilted his head sideways as if to threaten and we circled around until he stepped off...he had a cell phone ready. I did not have a waterbottle ready (starlightslk and or porkbuns/blackmarth might have) but I wish I did.
And ACP staff likes to charge my face with these fancy cams, that gets old, especially when I told others right next to them NO while I try to get to my hotel room literally 20 feet away. Pretty rude some of them are.
In the end, I really don't mind people NOT taking shots of me, my getups are really just for me, and for people onsite to see. And too many people get upset over taking pics/not-getting-the-shot, chill out and give the credit to the person you need so many pics of before seeing it as credit to yourself for simply clicking a button.
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #72
RobbyKun
Twerk Team

I used to be too nice to say no to photos, but in this day and age of the internet, where anything and everything can be public, you kind of have to set standards for yourself.

I've been called an asshole before for refusing photos (it's usually when I'm either taking a break or don't have everything on yet), but it's better than having a bad photo of you floating around everywhere.
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #73
Kiyoko-Usagi
Carbon Based Lifeform

Whenever I see extremely good cosplays and see swarms of people all around, I'm usually like "ah, okay, I'm going to pass this person because I want them to have a second to breathe." I like having my picture taken though, but I also don't frequently do highly popular cosplays, so I don't get bothered that much. Though, it gets REAL annoying when you're trying to walk somewhere, and there's always that one person in your group that's got a highly popular cosplay on and you have to stop and wait, then go, wait again, then go, wait again. I've never personally said no to a photo, but I've had my friends say "I'm trying to go somewhere with this person. Maybe later when you see me again?" I don't see anything wrong with saying "I'm in the middle of doing something, maybe later?" I don't know why all these people get so huffy about not getting a picture. It's a picture...

Upcoming Cosplays: Cheshire Cat CATS style, Kristoff (Frozen), Captain Amelia (Treasure Planet) and Vemon (Marvel)
Kiyoko-Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #74
MirniMausi
Just live more

I really don't remember on saying no. It could be a bit annoying at times if you couldn't walk (which was what happened when I firt cosplayed Mulan) but than again, I think photos are a part of Cosplay and attending a Con in a Cosplay also means being in public, so I think it's something you will have to deal with.
Depending on the Cosplay, I'd say it's even good sometimes to have photos taken when you're eating (let's say characters like Goku or Sailor Moon) while it doesn't fit other Cosplays.
I think reason no. 1 to decline photos is when you costume breaks. I had that once with my moogle cos during some sort of roleplay and I really felt uncomfortable abour having my photo taken while the costume was incomplete. But, as it was a battle and I was supposed to lose anyway, I just took it as a funny joke fitting the situation.

As for the issue with someone asking and still snapping even though the cosplayer said no, I also think it's rude. It's okay to snap groups somewhere if you haven't ask, I've done that sometimes just when I wanted to catch the feeling of a con or found a funny pose they made by coincidence and it would've been gone when I had walked up to them, but if you ask in the first place, you should accept a no as a no.

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #75
Spiritman
Boston's Hero

I have not said no to anyone but i have given people a chance to retake a photo if i catch them out of the corner of my eye (hard in a turtle face) do to whatever reason they didnt ask

i have to agree there is no point in getting mad some people are just shy, and ive learned some of the shyness comes from cosplayers yelling at them for taking a photo, im not saying you have to say yes to every request but i have been near people who are just as rude to saying no, ( ex. give a face and saying no, looking like you are disgusted,)

..its why i offer photographers the chance to let me pose with them and retake it because im sure thats what they would rather have than a side shot of me not even looking

Anime Boston 2011 Cosplay: TMNT Puppets

Anime Boston 2013 Cosplay/Boston Comic Con 2013 :TMNT Michelangelo

http://www.youtube.com/user/PuppetsonScraps
Michelangelo Cosplay:The Boston Ninja Turtle

Last edited by Spiritman : 01-22-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Spiritman is offline   Reply With Quote