Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Unread 12-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
trig009

JW Marriott?

I Finally have everything paid for badge, flight, hotel room. Has anyone stayed at the JW Marriott? I was wondering how that hotel is.
trig009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I Finally have everything paid for badge, flight, hotel room. Has anyone stayed at the JW Marriott? I was wondering how that hotel is.
Before I begin, you mentioned that you had already paid for the J.W. Marriott hotel?

You may want to to wait until AX opens up the hotel at convention rates. (Which is a lot cheaper than paying the full price.)

The J.W. Marriott is probably the fanciest of all the downtown hotels in LA, but it doesn't come cheap. It is also the closest hotel though to the convention center. It's only a few minutes walk to the convention center. (A big plus for cosplayers.)

The hotel lobby is quite nice, and very fancy. The room are quite nice as well.

The restaurants are very expensive, so if you are looking for cheap eats, this isn't the place. People have paid from $50 to $100 per meal at some of their fancy restaurants.

The hotel also charges $38 a day for parking, if you plan to park your car overnight.

I had some issues with the hotel security chief, Mr. Mark Blackburn last year though. He was being a jerk selectively to cosplayers who were staying at the hotel. (I wrote a formal letter of complaint to the management.about it, and they did apologize)

Is this your first AX?

Last edited by Hakaider : 12-14-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
trig009

This is my first AX, I also got the room with a military discount. All in all the price wasn't bad and I was looking at being close to the Con. I would love a rent-a-cop try being an asshole to people because he doesn't like different, he would hate life. I plan on just ordering out for the most part and have a night or two for a good restaurant and wont be needing a car.

I will be cosplaying for 1 or 2 days, but my main thing will be photography and exploring.
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
This is my first AX, I also got the room with a military discount. All in all the price wasn't bad and I was looking at being close to the Con. I would love a rent-a-cop try being an asshole to people because he doesn't like different, he would hate life. I plan on just ordering out for the most part and have a night or two for a good restaurant and wont be needing a car.

I will be cosplaying for 1 or 2 days, but my main thing will be photography and exploring.
Most of the hotel's security was very good, and I didn't have any problems with them. It's mainly Mark Blackburn that you have to watch out for. That man has a huge super big ego, and talks down to you. (Especially if you are wearing a costume.) Hopefully you won't have to encounter him.

There are also cheap eats nearby that's within a short walking distance. There's a subway, and a IHOP restaurant nearby as well. (I would highly recommend the IHOP. ) Avoid the nearby Denny's because both the food & service is terrible. (And it's always crowded at night.)

There are a lot of restaurants around the hotel in the LA Live area, but keep in mind that they aren't also cheap.

Also, don't forget to peace bond your weapons at AX when you are cosplaying so you won't constantly be stopped by AX staffers or security. (Airsoft weapons are not allowed.)

At certain times of the day, the con will be packed with people bumper to bumper. (Especially on Saturday.)

Also, try not to walk around by yourself at 3 a.m. if you can help it. While it is usually safe in the day,and evening, I wouldn't recommend hanging around very, very late at night or the wee hours of the morning by yourself. (It is downtown LA after all.)

It may also get really hot in the day, so be sure to bring bottled water with you. (There was one time when it reached over 100 degrees one time at AX.)

A few other points about the J.W. Marriott. Many of the rooms have only shower stalls in the restroom, and they don't have bathtubs. When you request a room, and you want a more quiet room, try to request one that is NOT close to the elevators. (It can get rather noisy when it's crowded during peak hours, especially if you are close to the elevators.)

Sometimes when the crowds are at their peak, it takes several minutes to access the elevators. There is also a movie theatre right across from the street from the hotel.

The hotel also shares the same building with the Ritz Carlton. They have a separate entrance & exit from the hotel though. (But you can use the Ritz Carlton entrance to access the J.W. Marriott.)

BTW, you mentioned that you are in the service. If I may ask, which branch are you in?

Last edited by Hakaider : 12-15-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
W4RH0US3

When do the AX rooms get available?
W4RH0US3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
When do the AX rooms get available?
It varies every year.

One year it went up as early as January. Sometimes it comes out in March or April. This year, for some strange reason, it was released really late.

This is why it's important to check the AX website for updates.

Hopefully, next year in 2013 won't be repeat of this year, where everything was super late.
Unread 12-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
trig009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
Most of the hotel's security was very good, and I didn't have any problems with them. It's mainly Mark Blackburn that you have to watch out for. That man has a huge super big ego, and talks down to you. (Especially if you are wearing a costume.) Hopefully you won't have to encounter him.

There are also cheap eats nearby that's within a short walking distance. There's a subway, and a IHOP restaurant nearby as well. (I would highly recommend the IHOP. ) Avoid the nearby Denny's because both the food & service is terrible. (And it's always crowded at night.)

There are a lot of restaurants around the hotel in the LA Live area, but keep in mind that they aren't also cheap.

Also, don't forget to peace bond your weapons at AX when you are cosplaying so you won't constantly be stopped by AX staffers or security. (Airsoft weapons are not allowed.)

At certain times of the day, the con will be packed with people bumper to bumper. (Especially on Saturday.)

Also, try not to walk around by yourself at 3 a.m. if you can help it. While it is usually safe in the day,and evening, I wouldn't recommend hanging around very, very late at night or the wee hours of the morning by yourself. (It is downtown LA after all.)

It may also get really hot in the day, so be sure to bring bottled water with you. (There was one time when it reached over 100 degrees one time at AX.)

A few other points about the J.W. Marriott. Many of the rooms have only shower stalls in the restroom, and they don't have bathtubs. When you request a room, and you want a more quiet room, try to request one that is NOT close to the elevators. (It can get rather noisy when it's crowded during peak hours, especially if you are close to the elevators.)

Sometimes when the crowds are at their peak, it takes several minutes to access the elevators. There is also a movie theatre right across from the street from the hotel.

The hotel also shares the same building with the Ritz Carlton. They have a separate entrance & exit from the hotel though. (But you can use the Ritz Carlton entrance to access the J.W. Marriott.)

BTW, you mentioned that you are in the service. If I may ask, which branch are you in?
I am army and he will not spoil my trip nor any others if I can help it. The theater will be nice, I haven't seen a new movie in about a year. The water has been addressed a lot in the forums, but is good advice non-the-less.

I have already have been looking for alternatives to airsoft weapons. At first I was going to fill them up with epoxy to make them solid, but since you have to use some outrageous colors on them I will be looking for alternatives to them. Like the Crysis 3 suit, using the bow instead.

I am not sure where the room will be, but it is a suite in the higher levels. I don't think I will have to worry about noise as much.

Thank you for your input on the hotel and surrounding area
Unread 12-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Valkrinos

JW Marriott's always been quite a nice stay. More expensive, yes, but they've always had nice rooms, and the closeness to the convention center is the biggest plus.
Valkrinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
darkxshiki

pretty comfortable. slight problem with how the bath room doors are design. forgot if they fix it this year or not. but sliding door and could see inside from the right angle a little. not sure if i would personally book it if it was just me. there another hotel about the same distance that slightly less expensive from what i heard.
darkxshiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkxshiki View Post
pretty comfortable. slight problem with how the bath room doors are design. forgot if they fix it this year or not. but sliding door and could see inside from the right angle a little. not sure if i would personally book it if it was just me. there another hotel about the same distance that slightly less expensive from what i heard.
Yeah, not a fan of the sliding bathroom doors either...especially the fact that you can't lock them. Other than that, love everything else about the hotel...oh and the pool area is awesome as well
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo

Potential Future Crossplays
Rei Ayanami (school uniform)
Stocking Anarchy (default)
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Haven't had a problem with the doors by using a simple rule: If the light is on, don't go near it. The bathroom has a nifty lighting scheme that keeps shadows off of the glass, so the issue has been pretty small.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
Robert San

Does anyone have an estimate when the AX rates will be available for JW?
Robert San is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Does anyone have an estimate when the AX rates will be available for JW?
At this point, it is difficult to say because, it can vary from year to year.

Sometimes it can be as early as December, and sometimes it can be as late as a few months before the con. (Like last year in 2012.)

The best bet is to keep checking on the official AX website.

Traditionally, the Westin Bonaventure would always open up first, and then the rest of the hotels would follow suit.
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #14
Maguma
Blazing Through Tommorrow

I booked a suite at the JW. Tis wonderful

Be sure to sign up for ALA 2015 Socal Cosplay Chess!!! Click here!!!
Come check out Socal Cosplay Chess on Facebook!!! Click here!!!
Maguma is offline   Reply With Quote