Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Unread 01-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
ZellyKat
Cosplay.. I love you

Stillwell Hotel

How are they during expo? Do they treat cosplayers and convention goers well? I booked a room just in case because I am still looking for a "usual" hotel.

I am so sad still about the loss of Wilshire Grand. Last year my group stayed at the Hilton Checkers. A very nice hotel but so far to walk back and forth. It took a toll on our feet and energy. We ended up having issued catching the shuttle so we took a taxi back and forth to the convention center.

Let me know if any of you stayed at the Stillwell. I personally don't need extra fluff and amenities. Just a clean bed to sleep in and a place to store my cosplay.

DeviantArt
FB Cosplay Page
I.C.U.( Intense Cosplay Unit)

Anyone got photos of Baby Eevee, Kairi, Shippo or Usa-chan at AX13? Please send them my way.
ZellyKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Just some suggestions..but you may want to to wait until AX opens up the hotel at convention rates. (Which is a lot cheaper than paying the full price.) You may be able to get a nicer hotel with the convention rate.

AX opens up the con rate for the hotels differently every year.

In one year, the con rate went up as early as January. Sometimes it comes out in March or April. This past year, for some strange reason, it was released really late.

This is why it's important to check the AX website for updates.

One of the closer hotels that I would recommend is the the downtown Sheraton hotel. It's a nice hotel, and it's very close to where the Wilshire Grand used to be. The con rate for this hotel is about the same as the Wilshire Grand, and it's about the same walking distance to the convention center from the Wilshire Grand to the convention center. They also treat cosplayers well, and the con shuttle stops in front of the hotel's entrance. The hotel is also close to various restaurants like the IHOP restaurant & Subway. (Plus a CVS Pharmacy is right across from it.)

In some ways, it is quite similar to the Wilshire Grand, and I have jokingly called the Sheraton, the "Wilshire Grand Part II".

The closest one to the convention center is the J.W. Marriott, and it's right next to the Nokia Theatre. (But the hotel can be quite expensive.)

Above all, avoid the Figueroa at all costs. I stayed there before, and it was one of the worst hotels & most unsanitary hotels that I ever stayed in. (You get to sleep with six legged friends in bed, filthy floors & broken furniture.) The owner is also belligerent & very combative. Uno would not hesitate to curse at the guests, and would toss them out in the middle of the night if they ever complain about the rooms. (And yes, he openly doesn't like females, and talks down to them. Avoid this hotel at all costs.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 01-01-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
ZellyKat
Cosplay.. I love you

I remember your review of Figueroa. I had to talk my sister out of staying there. It's scary that they are still in business.

I have this one booked for right now. I can alway cancel before July 2nd without charges if I the hotel rate changes. Then just rebook. I just need this for back up.

When we stayed at Wilshire we packed the room with our group to keep the expense down, this year, the room is for me, my husband and my sister with our two little girls. Smaller group and less funds, so we won't be able to afford the 300 a night that we used to pay. I had to do it this way since we didn't have two toddlers last year. Other wise, next time I will totally take your advice on the Sheraton.

We are also going to be booking two rooms between our group. Not sure where the other half are going to land. I hope we end up in the same hotel. It will make group cosplay much easier.

DeviantArt
FB Cosplay Page
I.C.U.( Intense Cosplay Unit)

Anyone got photos of Baby Eevee, Kairi, Shippo or Usa-chan at AX13? Please send them my way.
ZellyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

It's always good to have a backup hotel.

The best bet would be to check to see, (When the con rate opens up) if the Sheraton's con rate is comparable to the full booking price at the Stillwell. If I recall correctly, the Sheraton was one of the least expensive hotels at the con rate. It's also one of the fastest hotels to sell out, so it pays to keep checking the official AX website as to when they will open up the con rate.

The Figueroa was actually one of the more expensive hotels at the AX con rate. (Yeah, I don't how they stay in business either.) Uno must be relying on the huge busloads of European tourists to keep him afloat. He's expressed that besides disliking females, he doesn't really like Americans either, so Americans aren't necessarily his biggest clientele.

Anyway, best wishes & I hope that you get a good & close hotel!

Last edited by Hakaider : 01-01-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

I Booked Ritz Milner Hotel, it will be my 4th year staying there, although i am open to cheaper prices when i find one. at the moment I am only paying $89 a night and $308 for 3 Nights July 4-7. Plus there is a parking Garage right next door $10 a day so roughly $350 Total Stay to enjoy AX for ALL 4 days again. Great way to Budget money to know the prices you already paid the year before!

I was going to try Stillwell Hotel could have booked a room for $68 a night but eh.... oh well.
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
kuro-kirsche

I stayed at the Stillwell last year with friends. We ended up on the 10th floor with a window and the air conditioner/heater worked fine. The elevator was small and a bit stuffy, but it worked the whole time. There are stairs too. The hallway is kind of stuffy though. But the room did seem clean enough; the restroom is a bit small and just be careful with the shower curtains(one of my friends pulled it too quick and it fell), but it was alright (we just stuck it lower on the wall where it could hold). The closet was good enough, and the bed comfortable enough. And we didn't spot any bugs. So my friends and I are going back for AX'13.

Short summary: It's toreable and is walking distance to the convention. Plus there are many restaurants and stores available to fit anykind of budget.
kuro-kirsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
shadowbuster44
Rabitbuster

I stayed at the Stillwell the first year AX was in LA. It was the roomiest hotel I've stayed out since then. It's cheap and affordable, and not a bad walking distance from the con (If I remember just under a mile). All and all if you are looking for a cheap room to stay and keep your stuff. If you're looking for fancy this is not it. But the staff was friendly to the con goers, and it wasn't a bad stay at all.

Cons I went to this Year:
ALA 2013
Further Confusion

Upcoming Cons:
Biggest Little Fur Con (BLFC)
CaliFur
Anime Expo
AM2
ComiKaze
shadowbuster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
Pepsie

I staid there last year I didn't mind it at all and the walk is about 10 minutes, which isn't a huge thing.
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
darkxshiki

i knew a few people that stay there. they were on the top floor.can't really room stuff but fit the actual number of people fine. was pretty stuffy up there and suppose the elevators shook as it got to the top. they seem pretty chill with cosplayer.
darkxshiki is offline   Reply With Quote