Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #16
evaunit01berser
Banned

Guys, why would you take off articles of clothes for a stranger on the internet just for some stupid quiz? I am confused as to why people went along with this.

Also the tumblr post that brought me here says this
"At the end of the interview, the cosplayers were given a quiz on their character. If you got a question wrong, you had to take off an article of clothing."

Notice the bolded "had". Was this person blackmailing ya'll or something?

Something reeks weird about this. This dosen't strike me as the normal basement dweller.....

Unread 12-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #17
EmoxJerk
Love Way Connection

Confused as well as to why some people thought basically "stripping" for the webcam was okay, much less why it didn't bring up any red flags.
-Hanji / Rivaille (AoT)
-Snow Miku

Facebook | WorldCosplay
EmoxJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #18
SerenaXiyade
Never knows best~

I don't know why, but this really reminds me of this creep a few years ago. I can't remember her name, but she was a girl, and she used to message other girls offering to help them with their cosplay, and wanted to Skype, and asking them to closet-cosplay Tifa and 'exercise' (masturbate) on camera so she could see the girl but the girl couldn't see/hear her. For the life of me I can't find any information about her, but at least this will help remind everyone to be careful when it comes to talking to strangers. Stay safe everyone!
SerenaXiyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #19
ChicoChan
Pimp Named Slickback

I got contacted by this same person on DA and they wanted to schedule an interview with me last weekend. When I pressed them for credentials, they came up with nothing. I also went to some friends I knew who worked for Cosplay.com to check out the legitimacy, and they had heard nothing of this "video interview" section. So I knew this was a sham.

If someone wants to have a one way chat with you, do not trust it!

DON'T PANIC.

Queen Riot! on FacebookDeviantArtCureACParadiseTumblr
ChicoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #20
EmoxJerk
Love Way Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaXiyade View Post
I don't know why, but this really reminds me of this creep a few years ago. I can't remember her name, but she was a girl, and she used to message other girls offering to help them with their cosplay, and wanted to Skype, and asking them to closet-cosplay Tifa and 'exercise' (masturbate) on camera so she could see the girl but the girl couldn't see/hear her. For the life of me I can't find any information about her, but at least this will help remind everyone to be careful when it comes to talking to strangers. Stay safe everyone!
That's just plain disgusting >_>

So many creeps of both genders running around trying to exploit cosplayers :/
-Hanji / Rivaille (AoT)
-Snow Miku

Facebook | WorldCosplay
EmoxJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #21
Kikaisaigono
girl on fire

Instead of slamming those who mistakenly went along with the interview with, "You're so stupid, why did you go along with it", you could offer much more helpful insight. Sometimes we make mistakes and I know I'm one of those people who has trouble saying no at first, and ask questions later, and sometimes people are taken advantage of. The last thing they need is people ridiculing them for something that is already done, when they likely feel bad enough and are NOT the ones at fault here.

I hope that the one good thing that comes out of this is that it can help other members avoid situations like these. I'm glad dA took down their account there, that site is pretty notorious for not giving a damn sometimes.

2012 Cosplays:
Bunny Asuka Langley - Sylvia Christel (No More Heroes 2) - Matryoshka Gumi - Kingdom Hearts I Yuffie - Asuka Plugsuit - Seras Victoria - Mami Tomoe - Anarchy Panty - Asuka Plugsuit (damaged)

Conventions I will be attending in 2012:
MomoCon 2012 - Anime Boston - C2E2 - Anime - St. Louis - Acen - Wizard World Chicago - Anime Southeast - Anime Weekend Atlanta - Youmacon
...and more pending!
Kikaisaigono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #22
evaunit01berser
Banned

Does anyone have a skype name of this person by chance, little bit of googling may show up something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaisaigono View Post
Instead of slamming those who mistakenly went along with the interview with, "You're so stupid, why did you go along with it", you could offer much more helpful insight. Sometimes we make mistakes and I know I'm one of those people who has trouble saying no at first, and ask questions later, and sometimes people are taken advantage of. The last thing they need is people ridiculing them for something that is already done, when they likely feel bad enough and are NOT the ones at fault here.
Kikai....you are blowing this way out of proportion and need to stop putting words in peoples mouths right now....

No one is ridiculing anyone as much as you want to think they are, so put down your pitchfork and lets get back to trying to get the fine details.

Edit: thank you to the person that gave over the name, its "cosplaycom"

Last edited by evaunit01berser : 12-19-2012 at 02:24 AM.
evaunit01berser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #23
ChicoChan
Pimp Named Slickback

The Skype name was "Cosplaycom" using the official C.com logo. When I pressed erbetto for some credentials, he was flustered and unable to provide anything. But I'm older and wiser than a lot of newcomers. Try to look up stuff before you agree to an interview to protect yourself <3

DON'T PANIC.

Queen Riot! on FacebookDeviantArtCureACParadiseTumblr

Last edited by ChicoChan : 12-19-2012 at 09:09 AM.
ChicoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 02:37 AM   #24
evaunit01berser
Banned

after going through some caches, I am finding him commenting a lot on french/italian profiles
Unread 12-19-2012, 02:44 AM   #25
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Since a lot of people are being directed to this thread, here is what we know about the situation from our vantage point.

On Sunday, we received a few messages and emails from cosplayers, asking to verify whether or not we are doing video interviews for our website. We replied that no, we are not, and then were given information that a user on DeviantArt was claiming to represent Cosplay.com, and asking cosplayers to do a video interview on Skype. This thread was also started here by another cosplayer who was contacted.

Screenshots of the dA messages show that they claimed to be doing video interviews for Cosplay.com. When called out on this, they at least once backed off and said that it was for a different website entirely.

The Skype screenname used was "cosplaycom", without the dot. The name on that account says "CosplayCom Interviews (Vanessa)".

While sending information to DeviantArt, I posted on the user's wall there, telling them to stop pretending to be us, and warning visitors to their page that they were not representatives of our website. He immediately removed the comment and blocked any further posting.

DeviantArt responded to us Monday morning, quickly looked into the situation, and banned the user's account.

We currently have no confirmation as to whether or not this person is also contacting cosplayers via other social media. The only reports we've received pertain to the specific account on dA that was banned, and the specific Skype account.

Last edited by Admin : 12-19-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 02:46 AM   #26
Kikaisaigono
girl on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaunit01berser View Post
Does anyone have a skype name of this person by chance, little bit of googling may show up something

Kikai....you are blowing this way out of proportion and need to stop putting words in peoples mouths right now....

No one is ridiculing anyone as much as you want to think they are, so put down your pitchfork and lets get back to trying to get the fine details.

Edit: thank you to the person that gave over the name, its "cosplaycom"
I'm saying that this is not the thread to question why someone did what or how they could possibly go along with it -- It's all that really needs to be said on this matter as it adds nothing of value to the topic. It was one comment, so where did this talk of pitchforks even come from?

On the subject of this person claiming to represent coscom -- if anyone asks to do an interview off of the site that they claim to be affiliated with, that's the first warning sign. Even if this person pm's another member ON this site, you should always take precaution and ask a mod or admin about their affiliation first. It never hurts to be careful! They should be able to tell you right off the bat if it's a scam or not. And echoing ChicoChan -- if it's a one sided video interview, that's always no bueno! :c

I hope no one went too far with the interviews and everyone involved is alright. Thanks Admin for being so on top of the issue and doing so much to get it resolved. (b'-')b

2012 Cosplays:
Bunny Asuka Langley - Sylvia Christel (No More Heroes 2) - Matryoshka Gumi - Kingdom Hearts I Yuffie - Asuka Plugsuit - Seras Victoria - Mami Tomoe - Anarchy Panty - Asuka Plugsuit (damaged)

Conventions I will be attending in 2012:
MomoCon 2012 - Anime Boston - C2E2 - Anime - St. Louis - Acen - Wizard World Chicago - Anime Southeast - Anime Weekend Atlanta - Youmacon
...and more pending!
Kikaisaigono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #27
KHfan4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiBLEACHcake View Post
I have reported him, but I'm skeptical anything will be done on DA. He's been reported several time with no results.
Yes, DA can be particularly bad at removing content sometimes.
Unread 12-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #28
Haiiro Sempai

erberto scam

I was also contacted over this. I have done countless interviews already, and so I didnt think much of it. For that questionaire at the end, where you take things off, all I took off were accessories... but I felt like such an idiot for not knowing the answers he asked despite them being stuipdly hard questions. I also talked a lot about personal things like me getting picked on in school and why i am driven to make friends through cosplay. Im just so upset that this was a scam.

his account on DA is disabled, but he still messages people. I am just concerned that he will edit the video in a way to look as unflattering to me as possible and post it. What is being done over it all?
Haiiro Sempai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #29
Kitsunebi-chan
Sora Kitsune Cosplay

i got something like this too but through a cosplay forum email... this just smells of a trap! like seriously guys dont do this....

Current Cosplay:
Sora from kingdom hearts 2/ Rin M. from Free!! / Otoya ittokiFrom Utapri / Aoba From DMMD Hinata from Haikyuu then i got some in the works

past cosplay:
kyuubi from naruto and many others
Kitsunebi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #30
evaunit01berser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaisaigono View Post
I'm saying that this is not the thread to question why someone did what or how they could possibly go along with it -- It's all that really needs to be said on this matter as it adds nothing of value to the topic. It was one comment, so where did this talk of pitchforks even come from?

Actually it does, as it reveals more about his methods. You may not hold value in knowledge of this, others do.