Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Giuly_Chan

Website stealing photos of cosplayers and covering credits.

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right section to post this thread.

Two days ago I came across this site http://cosplayupload.com/ and noticed that it was full of stolen photos, also the owner of the site put his own logo on all the photos he uploaded. All my gallery of Tekken cosplays was stolen (probably from DA, WorldCosplay and Cosplay.com), the guy did cut the logo of my photographer or covered it with his own. Browsing the site I realized that is was full of photos of my friends and other cosplayers I know!

So I wanted to warn all the cosplayers, your photos may be there too, please watch out.
I tried towrite on the facebook page of the guy, but he deleted my message together with all the messages of other cosplayers.

I'm not expert about this kind of situation but, is there a way to denounce him? I mean is ok to share pics, but covering and cutting credits is the worst thing ever..

Unread 12-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

It would probably be easy to report the FB page for stealing images, but the website may be a bigger issue.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Giuly_Chan

the site contains only photos of asian cosplayers, I don't know where are they from,I tried to contact the guy through facebook and he answered me "we don't care about copyrights, it's just a picture"
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
usuyukisou

He is such a douchebag. The FB page is easy to report, but the site will probably require a Cease and Desist from a lawyer...
Unread 12-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
SA2R
King of the Skies

Just report him.
And not that it matters, but Pikminlink isn't Asian~

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Undertaker^^
Ghost Pokemon Lover~

He ( The owner of the site ) must be one seriously sad individual if he is having to steal people cosplay photos for his site.

( Along with edit out other signatures then add in his own )

-Youmacon 2014-
Mega Banette Gijinka ( Pokemon ) - Halted apparently till a later Event
Enderman Gijinka ( Minecraft )

Undertaker^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Giuly_Chan

to me editing the pic with his own watermark is the worst thing...I mean if someone simply share my pics I don't care ( or I could be grateful because they appreciate my work) but I can't ignore the fact they put their watermark or logo covering the credits of my photographer, that's a crime...
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Lorihaha

It's really a problem, they have the right to share, but don't have a right to share the copyright at the same time.
Lorihaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Obviously the owner of the site has to be a snob to say that about Copy-right. I had to listen to my Design teacher talk about how important that stuff was, and THEN work on a presentation on it's importance afterwards. Copyright is there for a reason, and just sharing the picture means leaving the picture with it's original content and not putting in your own logo. Feel sorry for you and any other cosplayers put in this predicament but all we can really do is report them and see if its possible to take down their website.
-Mega-con 2015
-Metro-con 2015

Cosplay List:
-Loftwing (Skyward Sword)
-Postman (Gentlemen's Alliance Cross)
-Joker (Black Butler)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Hetalia-Chan
Not Iceland, ice cream!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly_Chan View Post
I tried to write on the facebook page of the guy, but he deleted my message together with all the messages of other cosplayers.
Yup, once they been caught, they will delete your comments and block you. Don't give up.
Hetalia-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #11
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

The guy (or gal) must be fairly desperate. And is it just me, or are most of the cosplayers shown on the site female? There's a few males here and there but it seems like 95% of the pictures are female. That raises some flags for me right there.

It also seems like the person is just randomly tossing up any images they can find, whether they're decent cosplay or not. Looking through the Star Wars cosplayers, there is a picture of a girl just wearing normal everyday clothes-- a T-shirt and jeans-- and is only holding a lightsaber. That is not cosplay.

For the record it doesn't look like the person is changing the watermarks... Or at least maybe not on all of the pictures. I've seeing a ton of different watermarks and copyright logos throughout the various images. It looks more like the person is just finding any old image and putting it up on their site. I also see a bunch of duplicate images.

Though I see a few Rebel Legion members in the Star Wars section... Think I'll give them a heads-up on the site. And the Satele Shan cosplayer... I'd drop her a message too but, dang it, her name escapes me now...
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #12
Giuly_Chan

at least he removed his watermark from the photos..
Unread 12-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Apparently some of my group's photos are all over that website. Ehhhh, it takes a lot of effort to care though. I figure if post them on the internet, someone, somewhere will rip them off in some capacity. Seems like a gigantic waste of time really...
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #14
Venciel Links

At least he isn't making money off of them....at least I hope. I'd be more pissed off if someone was making money off my pictures, otherwise, I dunno if I'd have the energy to care that much. It IS the internet after all. (But that's just me of course.) I guess I'd be pretty pissed if I was the photographer tho, cause a watermark is pretty much how you get your name out there. But for every 1 person you find doing this, there are about 30 more doing the same thing. @_@
Venciel Links is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
Giuly_Chan

I'm aware of the risk of putting images on internet, this is not the first time something like this happens, If someone shares my photos without permission is not a big problem, but when the watermarks are covered..that makes me mad >_< The photographers who kindly takes photos of me, never ask a cent for their work, they spend time and effort taking pics, so I want to protect their work if I can.
I don't know if he removed the watermark because of the many complaints or because I've sent an email to the provider of his website, but it's a little achievement already..I noticed he added under the photos
Quote:
Enjoy Viewing the Cosplays Pictures. All Cosplay photos are copyright to their respective copyright holders and if you would like to share the name of cosplayer, Please feel free to contact us by posting their name or code name and nationality on the comment box and we will post their information for them.
is he trying to behave decently now or?