Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 01-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Doubletree (2003-4)+close to the con
+It has a pool
+The staff is friendly and happy to see the cosplayers
-wait time to check in (OMG!)
-The noise level is too loud (I'm a crabby old lady who likes her sleep)
-The rooms are tiny (too expensive for that small size)

Holiday Inn (2005-2010)+The pool is normally empty
+The Perkin is right there (but the servive is shit)
-every year this hotel locked me out of my room on Sunday. I had to walk back down to get it re-activity. I don't know why it kept happening but I think I'm just cursed.

Radisson (2011)
+Good price for what you get
+Love the room set up!
+Bed was in a seperate room, so I could sleep while my sister stayed up to watch TV in the main area. It was awesome!
+The bed was big and comfy.
I really have nothing bad to say about this hotel. I didn't experience any wait times to check in or out as we arrived late and left on the monday.

Unread 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Radisson

+ Suites, so extra room for bigger groups
+ Good price
+ Nice washroom set up for getting a cosplay ready (again, good for bigger groups)
- Check in/out times are long with only 2 people doing check in and check out
- elevators take a long time during check in/out

Overall a good choice for groups with multiple cosplayers

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #18
noir-P
Just keep on Smiling :D

did anyone ever stay at residence inn? debating b/w that and sandman.
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
ludicium

I stayed at the Crowne for 2011 and 2012

+Check-in was fine. They had a seperate site for people checking in with CC that year so it was relatively fast (I checked in early before the rush). Staff was professional and friendly, too.
+Huge-ass, well designed room. Enough for three people to be comfortable in with two of us sharing the King-sized bed with a inflatable double-sized mattress on the floor
+Clean from what I could see
*Moderate-sized bathroom. It wasn't super-small but it was a tolerable trade-off for the extra space
+Free Wi-Fi/Internet
+In walking distance to the Con/fast-food so we wouldn't have to bother with finding parking space
*Short-cut hill of Doom was fine. Just don't walk on in heels. Nearly went ass over petticoats once
+Overall, was a good experience.

*Booked the same room last year
-This year's room wasn't no where as nice as last year's. Was outdated and small compared to 2011's for the same room spec's
+Bathroom was HUGE and relatively clean. Ended up keeping my luggage there because of the extra space
+/-Toilet was clean but the bowl was stained. Looked well overdue to be replaced
+Same nice staff
-Got ninja-charged more than what I was expecting. Instead of being charged for the room per night (like in 2011), I was charged for two people per night, which wasn't cool. Didn't like that. And because I was so pre-occupied with checking in, I didn't even notice that when I signed. If I knew they were going to do that crap, I would have just said it was just me and sneaked my friend in. Made me wary to book with them for this year's AN.
ludicium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #20
Gohan Som

Crowne Plaza 2011-2012

Pros
-Very fair price
-Decent location
-Lots of resturant locations near by
-Fairly close to the con
-Nice staff
-Decent check in speed
-Nice rooms

Cons
-No lockers at pool
-In 2011 my room wasn't ready on time. Not a big deal for me because I packed light but for someone with several suitcases it could have been a problem
Gohan Som is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-P View Post
I heard Sandman is completely booked up for Anime North rates o_o
I am staying at Residence this year and it looks to be nice xD

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #22
Bear_

Quote:
Well, the way the rooms are booking out, you might have to take what you can get at this point!
Bear_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #23
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
I stayed there way back in 2009... it was nice... the suites were big and had a full fridge, stove and all that... and it was only $25 each for the weekend, but the person got 6 people per room, it wasn't me booking... I was just invited by friends after I realized everything was booked (I still thank those friends even if we don't talk anymore because I met my other half at that AN...)
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #24
ImNotThatDrunk
Doing it Off the Rack

I honestly prefered the Marriott over the Radisson and the Double Tree.

The Radisson and The Double Tree are both great for location - but the Radisson had thin walls so if you're one of the rare ones who actually sleep at the con, you'll be kept up all night by the loudness that is every other con-goer there.

The Double Tree? Not so much thin walls, but small rooms. We had a quad last year and by the end of the weekend there was a pool as to who out of us would trip over a suitcase first.

The Marriott on the other hand? Huge rooms. Very little sound can get through the walls and the beds were the comfiest!

~Now yes the walk is quite a long walk. However. If you have a spare $20, just change it into TTC tokens. The stop going towards the double tree is directly infront, and the double tree is literally the next stop. It gets you there in two minutes. So its definitely worth it, especially if you don't have a big bulky cosplay.

I always take the TTC there but never back, because usually by the time we go back its after dark so its cooled down and its more of leisurely stroll than anything else.

I say book the Marriott if you can!
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #25
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotThatDrunk View Post

The Radisson and The Double Tree are both great for location - but the Radisson had thin walls so if you're one of the rare ones who actually sleep at the con, you'll be kept up all night by the loudness that is every other con-goer there.

The Double Tree? Not so much thin walls, but small rooms. We had a quad last year and by the end of the weekend there was a pool as to who out of us would trip over a suitcase first.

The Marriott on the other hand? Huge rooms. Very little sound can get through the walls and the beds were the comfiest!

~Now yes the walk is quite a long walk. However. If you have a spare $20, just change it into TTC tokens. The stop going towards the double tree is directly infront, and the double tree is literally the next stop. It gets you there in two minutes. So its definitely worth it, especially if you don't have a big bulky cosplay.

I always take the TTC there but never back, because usually by the time we go back its after dark so its cooled down and its more of leisurely stroll than anything else.

I was at the Holiday Inn and found noise wasn't an issue there and the rooms have a good size, so there's an alternative if the Marriott seems far. The Marriott is very nice though, despite the walk. If you stay at the con all day its a great spot.

I would say the DT is great for say couples as the rooms are indeed small (i booked a King corner room to get that 'extra' space) - but a group of 3-4 will notice the lack of space. Inviting others for pizza? Instant mosh pit. Not a room to stuff with people. Not a great space for cosplayers with multiple outfits or large weapons (if you are more then 2 to a room).

Unread 01-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #26
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Most coplayer that stay at the DT rent a room just for them self or one other to have the pace.

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #27
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotThatDrunk View Post

I haven't noticed any issues with the noise at the Rad... We usually get a room adjacent to the corner, so maybe its different in the rows of rooms? I swear we have been in the same room the last 3 years, only 2011 it was a different floor... 2010 and 2012 we were DEFINITELY in the same room XP
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #28
AJ the Collector
Collector

I stayed at the Hotel Indigo in 2011 and the Holiday Inn at 600 Dixon in 2012. I'm staying at the Indigo again this year.

Hotel Indigo
+ Amazing low price
+ Lovely and spacious rooms with huge and downright perfect beds
+ Excellent bathroom area
+ Soundproof walls--it had planes flying right over it constantly and I still got a good night's sleep!
+ Great wireless internet connection, provided for free
+ Breakfast and dinner available at hotel restaurant
+ Very reliable luggage checking
+ Helpful and friendly staff
+ 24-hour lobby snack bar
+ No lengthy check-in or check-out waits
+ TV had plenty of good channels available
- No fridge or kitchen area
- Horribly long distance from the con--but that's remedied this year by the con-exclusive shuttle service!

Holiday Inn
+ Very close to the con, just a 5-minute walk
+ Attached to Perkins
+ Spacious, air-conditioned rooms with big soundproofed windows, very comfy beds and lovely furnishings
+ Standard bathroom area with lots of counter space and towels
+ Free internet
- No fridge, even though we were told our room had one
- We were charged more than we were told we would be
- Staff seemed rather strict and often unwilling to compromise
- Very long check-in wait
- Shower drain wouldn't work for all of Saturday
- Not as much offered in the way of TV channels as there were at the Indigo

Overall, I'm happy to be staying at the Indigo again, while Holiday Inn is about average but in a positive way.
End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014
DTAC 2014

Cosplay Projects for 2014/2015:
Equius Zahhak {100%!} for FX14, End of Summer Homestuck Meet 2014: Zoostuck Twostuck and AN15
Totakeke {90%} for DTAC14
L {70%} for AN15
Karkat Vantas {70%}
Sable Able {50%} for CB15
Makoto Naegi {50%}
Penelope Mouse - Sly 3 design {40%}
Zidane Tribal {30%}

Soap may be a four-letter word, but use it anyway.

Last edited by AJ the Collector : 01-09-2013 at 01:18 AM.
AJ the Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #29
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ the Collector View Post
I stayed at the Hotel Indigo in 2011 and the Holiday Inn at 600 Dixon in 2012. I'm staying at the Indigo again this year.

Hotel Indigo
- Horribly long distance from the con--but that's remedied this year by the con-exclusive shuttle service!
Can you tell me more about this shuttle service? Do you just call them while at the con and they come and pick you up or do they come at specific times?

Unread 01-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #30
disgracedwolf
The playful One

well as of right now. as my friends from kingston were wanting to go for 2013 apparently the crowne plaza is already booked up solid already? O.O does anyone have feed back on the sandman hotel since apparently. I know its a bit further away, however as I recall its not that far away from the con.
disgracedwolf is offline   Reply With Quote