Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

MtF Makeup: Tips from you makeup gurus? (Yes, posted in crossplay too)

See, I really want to get this down, but in most cases, I just can't. I mean, I do a decent job sometimes, but still trying to get this going. I have recently tried last night following a MtF makeup tutorial, and it didn't come out half bad, HOWEVER, something still seems off, and I think it is because my face shape is alot different than the person doing the video.

What I am looking for is, if anyone has any tips for MY personal face, that would be fantastic. I can keep looking up youtube videos, but I feel like I need a little added something to make my face itself more feminine. Mainly, I feel my face shape and possibly my nose might be my big thing. Eyes possibly too. I don't know. Tips please?

Without makeup:

http://i.imgur.com/C03J8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EmA0V.jpg

With makeup:

http://imgur.com/NRs1E <- I like this one kinda. Playful pic, but I enjoyed it. Stinks I have no plain faceshot and I had to make an expression to look kinda decent. s:

http://i.imgur.com/n4yKA.jpg?1 <- This one, I know, the makeup is awful, but it was a tryout, and I have a nasty time doing the eyes. (Well, mainly liner, because I have this bad twitching habit when applying)

http://i.imgur.com/1Vrbe.jpg?2 <- Still seems wrong somewhere. Bleh.

As of right now, I know:

- Do the eyebrows. I saw a trick using a gluestick, so once I get a gluestick, I will give this a go.
- Lighting in my room is awful. I cannot help that. :/

So yeah..... how do I go about adding more feminine features to my, not so feminine face? ): I can pull off a body, but my face is my flaw here. :/ I want to kind of perfect this, or get it AS perfected AS I can before thinking cosplay again..... not that I have any ideas anyways. :/ I got the body thing down for the most part, just....face. ):

Thanks to anyone who can help, and all who will help. Please, no trolling. Thank you.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Sayoria is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Besides brows, practice your contouring and highlighting. Use ash-toned browns, rather than bronzers, which contain too much red/orange. This will help bring out your cheekbones, and even de-emphasize your nose.

I think your eyes are your best feature, besides your skn. However, your eyes look a bit sloppy. Tidying up can help a lot. What kinds of brushes/tools do you use? It might help to start with easy looks, really polish your techniques, and then move on to more complicated makeup.

I would recommend overdrawing your upper lip, make it look fuller, without looking fake. Great tutorials on YouTube for tips.

Finally, practice posing as female. Pursing your lips or pulling a "duck face" looks unatural. Your second pic with makeup looks good, but try tilting your chin away from the camera, to make it look slimmer/smaller.

Don't know if any of this gives you ideas or a headache, as I've never critiqued MtF makeup before...
keep practicing and you will look amazing
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
Besides brows, practice your contouring and highlighting. Use ash-toned browns, rather than bronzers, which contain too much red/orange. This will help bring out your cheekbones, and even de-emphasize your nose.

I think your eyes are your best feature, besides your skn. However, your eyes look a bit sloppy. Tidying up can help a lot. What kinds of brushes/tools do you use? It might help to start with easy looks, really polish your techniques, and then move on to more complicated makeup.

I would recommend overdrawing your upper lip, make it look fuller, without looking fake. Great tutorials on YouTube for tips.

Finally, practice posing as female. Pursing your lips or pulling a "duck face" looks unatural. Your second pic with makeup looks good, but try tilting your chin away from the camera, to make it look slimmer/smaller.

Don't know if any of this gives you ideas or a headache, as I've never critiqued MtF makeup before...
keep practicing and you will look amazing

Awesome, thank you.

Now, you say "Ash tone browns".... by that, can you give me an example of an ash tone brown? Still kinda new to this, and I think ash, I think gray, and that counters the "brown", so I am kind of lost there. s:

Yeah, I know, like I said, still got alot to learn with eyes. If only I didn't twitch applying to eyes, it could be alot easier. :/.... As for brushes, I will be honest, I don't exactly know what brush is best for what yet. I think I am going to shop around on e.l.f. tonight and see if I can get a better set of brushes and some makeup that might be recommended here, like that ash brown you tipped off to me.

Oh yes, posing is horrible for me, I am still working on that too. x_x... Thanks for the ideas on that too. Will keep it in mind.

Oh, trust me, all help I can get, I greatly, greatly, GREATLY appreciate. Thank you very much. I will take all tips I get and use them dearly.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Unread 12-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Yep, ashy refers to grey. Physician's Formula has an eyeshadow quad called "Canyon Classics". It's matte, and contains one dark ash brown, two lighter browns, and an ivory shade. It's readily available and you can custom blend colors for different parts of your face. Makes for good practice makeup.

As for brushes, check out Lisa Eldridge and Gossmakeupartist on YouTube. They are both professionals and have a lot of advice regarding what brushes are useful for which techniques. Wayne Goss (Gossmakeupartist) also does makeup on himself, has several videos about contouring and highlighting, and is generally a great makeup resource.

Another YouTuber is Petrilude, who is both a makeup artist and drag performer. He has lots of tips regarding MtF makeup.

My personal brush recommendations from ELF are the $3 small angled brush, $3 "C" brush, $3 studio contour brush, $1 concealer brush, and $1 smudge brush. I also love my Real Techniques brushes (available at Ulta) and Eco Tools brushes. I've heard good things about Sigma and Bdellium brushes also. Hope this also helps and good luck!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Oh, trust me, you are far more than enough help. I actually am at work right now, but once I get home, I am going to be looking into all of this. I really appreciate even the brand recommendations. Sucky part from here is the waiting. Again, I appreciate it, as well as the youtube recommendations. Will check those soon too.

Unread 01-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
pokkypok

I agree with the advice above, but I also think something that would help would be doing something with your hair. A lot of girls, when wearing a lot of makeup, style their hair, so that might help with the overall image. You can try just parting it to the side or something, it could make a difference. Also, if you don't wanna worry too much about the eyebrows, you can try buying a fringe bang piece. (like this but in your color: http://www.wowwigs.com/clip-in-bangs...ic-hairdo.html)
Speaking as a girl with a fringe who neglects her eyebrows, they help cover them up and
pokkypok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
CompactedEnimie
Taste the Rainbow

Since your still kinda new to the brushes and colours for makeup start small, like maybe only for instince with your eyes since you say you twich start small maybe with only use a light neutral (vareus shades of brown, white etc.) colour then take a bit of white to brighten up your eyes a little, then apply a layer of mascara.
A tip when your working on your foundation, concealer, etc. a face is never the same colour ever face is lighter in and around the noise but beecomes dark alpong gthe way to the hair line.
As said in other comments there are some great makeup tutorials on youtube, you can also look spacific kinds of tutorial like brush tutorial, eyeshadow etc.

Good luck!!!!!
Oh and also work with your hair the advice before mine was right you shoulld more with you hair like curl braid whatever.
CompactedEnimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Oh, wow, those bangs are fantastic. I always thought of bangs, but never thought about looking for clip-on ones. Thank you! I am going to get right on that.

Also, thanks for the additional tips. I should be getting a package in the mail today and I will take all tips into consideration when I try out again. I didn't update my photo here, but I DID update, and I DID do eyebrows, but I still need work, no doubt. I am going to get this. I appreciate it folks. Thanks! And yeah, I need my eyes working. :/

http://i.imgur.com/BL5Zn.jpg

I still have 5 months to get this going, and I think that is enough time with enough determination.

Before I order, would you recommend the R6/R30, R10 or the R830? I just want to get an idea here. I know pictures won't do matching justice for me, but kind of hoping maybe they would provide a bit of advice before I jump straight on it.

Edit:

Hair pics. My hair is strange. It looks light.... very light like that in those pictures, but looks very dark without light.

http://i.imgur.com/xAtGx.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/jMMVt.jpg

So... yeah, I dunno. :/... Sorry for asking all this of you folks. x_x

Last edited by Sayoria : 01-02-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Unread 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

I think the angle of the eyebrows are a little too steep. Looking at pixiwoo tutorials on youtube might help you out with drawing on brows. They both have extremely thin brows but they thicken them up and it looks so natural. gossmakup artist also has, in my opinion, the best video on grooming brows. So that'll show you the best place to make your brows start and end.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Thank you as well. Yeah, going to try for a bit of learning here and there. Still not doing too bad I think, but I still have 5 months to get this mastered, or atleast decent. The brows, I have stencils I have been using. A friend of mine just told me to get them threaded, *shrug*.

I'll give eyebrows a good look over again soon. As for now, still working on the contour, since I think that is the most important thing right now at the moment. Thereafter, I will see what I can do. s:.... Thanks!

Unread 01-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
Headphone Actor
Local KagePro loser

Here is what I personally think will help:
-The eyebrows just don't look very natural. I think the biggest problem is that that are VERY rounded out, in which, I have found that eyebrows are sharper than you may think.
-I would invest in some circle lenses.
-To help with the illusion of bigger eyes, try wearing white eyeliner on your waterline and in the inner corner of your eye.
-Try adding some subtle falsies. Women who wear makeup will most of the time try to exaggerate the eyelashes. If not falsies, try a volumizing or lengthening mascara.
-Try teasing your hair! It looks very flat pressed against your head. With a little gel, your hair can work wonders! I would also suggest curling it.

For girly girl, huge eyes, ulzzang, kawaii, kind of look, watch VenusAngelic's youtube channel. She has a lot of makeup tutorials, and she is really good at eye enlargement.
Also google Anastasiya Shpagina to see how to use false lashes to create an illusion of bigger eyes.
Anastasia

Venus
And all at once, I know everything is gone

Last edited by Headphone Actor : 01-05-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Headphone Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuSpark View Post
Here is what I personally think will help:
-The eyebrows just don't look very natural. I think the biggest problem is that that are VERY rounded out, in which, I have found that eyebrows are sharper than you may think.
-I would invest in some circle lenses.
-To help with the illusion of bigger eyes, try wearing white eyeliner on your waterline and in the inner corner of your eye.
-Try adding some subtle falsies. Women who wear makeup will most of the time try to exaggerate the eyelashes. If not falsies, try a volumizing or lengthening mascara.
-Try teasing your hair! It looks very flat pressed against your head. With a little gel, your hair can work wonders! I would also suggest curling it.

For girly girl, huge eyes, ulzzang, kawaii, kind of look, watch VenusAngelic's youtube channel. She has a lot of makeup tutorials, and she is really good at eye enlargement.
Also google Anastasiya Shpagina to see how to use false lashes to create an illusion of bigger eyes.
Anastasia

Venus

-Yeah, good point on the brows, thanks.
-The circle lenses, I HAVE been thinking about, howeeeeeeeever I think I need to see an eye doctor before I can even use those, correct?...
-Okay, I will look into that. I don't have any white eyeliner.
-Yeah, actually, I was recently practicing with false eyelashes lately, and this was my result: http://i.imgur.com/ANuif.jpg .... not perfect, but my first real time really with them. *Yes, I know, bad eyebrows. s:*
-Yeah, I learned how to braid it, but cannot just get it tight. >.o... I also tried chopsticks before, pretty tough. Curling might be a bit out of my area, but if I get a straightener AND a curler, maybe I will give it a shot. s:

Will do! Appreciate your kind words of wisdom.

Unread 01-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
Headphone Actor
Local KagePro loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
-Yeah, good point on the brows, thanks.
-The circle lenses, I HAVE been thinking about, howeeeeeeeever I think I need to see an eye doctor before I can even use those, correct?...
-Okay, I will look into that. I don't have any white eyeliner.
-Yeah, actually, I was recently practicing with false eyelashes lately, and this was my result: http://i.imgur.com/ANuif.jpg .... not perfect, but my first real time really with them. *Yes, I know, bad eyebrows. s:*
-Yeah, I learned how to braid it, but cannot just get it tight. >.o... I also tried chopsticks before, pretty tough. Curling might be a bit out of my area, but if I get a straightener AND a curler, maybe I will give it a shot. s:

Will do! Appreciate your kind words of wisdom.
Do see an eye doctor! Being pretty doesn't mean sacrifice your eyes!
Please continue posting progress pictures! Best of luck!
Unread 01-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuSpark View Post
Do see an eye doctor! Being pretty doesn't mean sacrifice your eyes!
Please continue posting progress pictures! Best of luck!

Lol, will do. ... Will all of your help, I should get this doing. My father insisted the whole family gets their eyes checked soon too. Sounds like it will work out. I already know I am ..... well, I can't see too well with things in the distance, so I will probably be prescribed for that.

Anywho, might I ask, any particular type you recommend once and if I do see an eye doctor? Of course, I am not going to buy them without consent, otherwise, I would have already, but lord, I love help and recommendations when I can get them, being a newb to everything and such that I am. If not, perfectly fine. c:

Unread 01-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #15
Headphone Actor
Local KagePro loser

Pinkyparadise.com is amazing to buy contacts! That is where I get mine.