Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
KikiAbraxan09

FFX Tidus Brotherhood Sword -suggestions and advice please! ^_^

Ok so, if things work out right, I might possibly be going to my first con next summer!! Hopefully!! And a new friend from college this fall said he goes to the local one every year, and Im hoping we can go as Tidus and Yuna next year. I wanted to surprise him with a Brotherhood sword.

I've googled around and searched youtube, but I cant find any tutorials or videos for making Brotherhood. I have read that people like using the Plexiglass cuz its cheap and easy to work with. Thing is, Ive never worked with Plexiglass before, but it seems like the right choice for this sword cuz of the transparent look. So I have some questions:

1.) How much does plexiglass cost usually?
2.) Can the people at the store cut the shape of the sword? or do I do that myself?
3.) Is there different thicknesses of it, and which would be best for the sword?
4.) Im kind of wanting to add blue LED lights inside or close to the hilt, so how would I make the sword hollow? Would I glue 2 pieces of the plexiglass together?
5.) Is this going to be strong enough to use often or swing around or anything, without it breaking?

Any other advice, tips, suggestions would be helpful too! And here are some reference pictures:

http://www.rollenspielewelt.de/ps2/f...idus_water.jpg
http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files...682/T395x2.jpg

*~+ Official member of Risembool Rangers +~*
KikiAbraxan09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

1.Can't help..I have no idea..But it may VERY hard to make this way..I wouldn't even know how to start....But I would go acrylic sheeting from places like TAP Plastics and such. you can order in more then one sheet (for thickness) and get it on a size super close to what you will need (but a rectangle..
2. No. you have to cut it. No matter what you can only get it cut to a rectangle that you want, then you have to cut the sword out.
3. Yes there are, but they are pretty thin and you will need to layer it.
4. That would be kool, but I wouldn't know how to help you there..sorry..
5. No, anything other then metal is a terrible idea to swing. It's only plastic..Plastic is breakable..Do the math..lol

Really the only advice i can give is to not use plexyglass..If you use actrylic sheeting from the plastic stores, you can get it in the see thu blue color and adding the lights will make it awesome. However I do not suggest ANY OF THAT. I suggest just making it out of wood and painting it because it's freakin huge and will be a huge hassle.And more then likely not knowing what you are doing, you will waste a TON of money messing up. You could also use insulation foam and fiberglassing the whole thing, this will be stronger then plastic.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
KikiAbraxan09

bump? Just wanna see if there are any other suggestions. Can I use a hacksaw to cut it? Also, how would I make it hollow, or put the hilt onto it, I was thinking about just using pvc pipe for the hilt.

Unread 12-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
Midnight Dawn

1. $70 for a 4X6 sheet. In other words super expensive. Durable, but expensive.
2. People at a store like Taps can cut the shape for you if you provide a template for them to use. But depending on the thickness of you're using and the hours, it'll be rather expensive. Of course you could do it yourself as it'll significantly save on cost. But you'll need special tools for it.
3. There are many thickness levels. But for the smallest, I'd only recommend a 1/8 as anything thinner might break.
4. The way I see it, the sword would be internally hollow as you build the 3-D shape of it as the LEDs will be connected to the base of the sword at the hand guard.
5. That purely depends on you with how you make it. But simply if the base is strong then you can do whatever you want with it.

But if you want lights, I'd also suggest using a white and yellow LED as that appears to be in the color scheme as well. But for it to really work, you'd need to design the sword like a fiber optics cable so that the light is bouncing around on the inside.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
KikiAbraxan09

how would I do that on the inside to make the light reflect?

Unread 12-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
mentokjebus

Nothing to add... but I'd just like to point out that if you create a watertight,transparent sword, adding a bunch of contents from these things might make a cool effect:

http://www.amazon.com/Zig-Drops-Liqu..._rhf_se_s_cp_1
mentokjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
KikiAbraxan09

Ive thought of that too, adding water or something inside it to make bubbles, but if it broke there would be a big mess.... plus, I read on another site where someone was asking about adding water inside it, you'd have to make a hole on the top somewhere to add the water or whatever, and then clean it out after every use just so it doesnt mold... I think water or liquids inside it would be a hassle, though it would be awesome!

I think if I could just be able to frost or paint the inside and make some etchings or scratches for an icy or glassy look to it would be okay, and somehow paint bubbles inside it. I wouldnt want to paint or etch anything on the outside, so it can have a smooth glossy surface.

Unread 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Simetra
Weapon Master :D

This guy is from Australia (go us!) and has a pretty damn impressive and life-like brotherhood. He briefly says how he made it from fibreglass. http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...?_sid=1f0eb735
Planned Cosplays: Ember Island Players Ty Lee (Avatar), Ma Chao (DW7), Brienne (GoT), Adult Toph (Avatar), Daria, Some surprise ones?
Simetra is offline   Reply With Quote