Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
Headphone Actor
Local KagePro loser

Living Dolls?

So I have been absolutely fascinated by this "living doll" trend. It basically is using makeup and in some cases, surgery, to become as doll like as possible. I think its absolutely stunning, and I almost want to try it myself. (No surgery for me though.) However, it seems to have a bit of controversy to it, saying that it inspires young girls to not be happy with themselves, and is even called "creepy."
So basically, my question is, what is your opinion on it? And do you think it should be frowned upon?

And all at once, I know everything is gone

Last edited by Headphone Actor : 04-03-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Headphone Actor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-03-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
Keebs
Deceptive Conceptions

I saw a few living dolls at MomoCon in Atlanta last month. I don't think it's anything to be frowned on. If people enjoy doing it, then they should be able to do it. I personally thought they were incredible. Some of them looked amazing
  • Noda - Angel Beats - 0%
  • 1st Release Ulquiorra w/ Wings - Bleach - 10%
  • Dreadknight Garen - League of Legends - 20%
  • Ash Landers w/ Wings - Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) - 100%
  • Stein - Soul Eater - 100%
  • Mugen - Samurai Champloo - 100%
Keebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
Kelley
Devil of Details

I don't think there's really anything wrong with it.

Most of the time that I see "mainstream" people coming in contact to these images they have negative reactions - which would indicate that it's not likely anyone is showing these to their kids and saying "you have to look like this".

Otherwise, I don't think it's any more harmful than any other kind of costume-play.

Yes, there are some questions that get raised when it's very young girls doing this in a sexualised way. When it comes to surgery, I think all surgery should be elective, but in some cases more questions should be asked. I don't see this as too different from other "full transformations" like The Lizardman and such, but while I think there are too many restrictions on surgery for transsexuals seeking surgery (I bring this up to show how we restrict those who go against how we think a person should "improve" themselves, but don't restrict others), I think there's not enough when it comes to ones that appeal to universal beauty standards. It shouldn't be "limited" per-se, but I really need to make my friend sign up here so she can tell about how when she was getting breast implants they had pretty much no concern for her mental health. It was good that she, personally, had put thought into it - because if she hadn't no one was going to ask her any important questions, just say "we can do that". :/

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Lithium Flower
Handphones

People can do whatever they want to do with their bodies, but I think it's extremely important that we look at the reasoning behind that choice.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I think it's creepy. Very, very creepy. And not because it looks bad, I'm pretty much indifferent to how it looks, but because even if there's no single specific person telling them they should want to look like that, there's a lot of other really gross and depressing shit that's been dropping none-too-subtle hints since they were born.

It's sort of like seeing a zombie, except that the shambling horror in question is somebody who couldn't get away fast enough and fell prey to the be-beautiful-and-passive plague.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
..there's a lot of other really gross and depressing shit that's been dropping none-too-subtle hints since they were born.

I think we as a whole society need to look into the reasoning why someone would want to drastically alter their bodies in such a way that is not only physically unobtainable, but not physically (or mentally) healthy to begin with. It's something that should be addressed in a serious way and approached with respectful caution, not glamorized for little girls on cosplay websites.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 04-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
sam vimes
A real live wire

Reminds me of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Sybren117
Gipsy Danger

Dolphinoplasty is a legit practice. Shush.

Also, as to the whole "We should be asking why kids want to look like this" thing, Can't it pretty much be summed up with the word 'Barbie'? Is that too obvious?

I mean, if you tell a little girl that she can grow up to be a doctor, paratrooper, astronaut or goddamn ambassador for world peace, as long as she commits herself, but at the same time suggest that she had better stay a knockout blonde while she's doing that, then you're going to confuse the hell out of some X chromosomes.

The real tragedy is that no one cares about the male equivalent. I mean, I sure as shit wanted to look like He-Man Evil Slime when I was a kid, but no one told me that society was raising me wrong.

Wait.
Sybren117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I think we as a whole society need to look into the reasoning why someone would want to drastically alter their bodies in such a way that is not only physically unobtainable, but not physically (or mentally) healthy to begin with. It's something that should be addressed in a serious way and approached with respectful caution, not glamorized for little girls on cosplay websites.
Pretty much that. When it comes to something like "living doll", makeup is one thing- you can remove it afterward, and move on to other things when that style no longer suits you. But surgery's a lot harder to undo, if it can be undone at all.
I agree that the reasoning behind why people would wish to transform themselves like this should be looked into. Just why would somebody want to look like and act like a doll?

Somebody mentioned Lizardman and others who have undergone massive transformations- tattooing, implants, and other extensive body mods, to make themselves look like something completely removed from "Normal Human" appearance. In these people's cases, I am pretty sure they were adults, who knew the risks going into it. Not just the physical risks inherent in any surgical procedure, but also the social risks- that being tattooed to that extent, let alone the other body mods might make it hard if not impossible to get a lot of conventional jobs, and might make interacting with other people more difficult. Even in full regalia, we cosplayers can tell curious or nervous people that it IS after all, just a costume and makeup. Something we can take off. It might be much harder to explain if the change we had made to ourselves was permanent, something we couldn't remove at the end of the day, or when the attention got to be too much.

Last edited by Amanita : 04-03-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuSpark View Post
So basically, my question is, what is your opinion on it? And do you think it should be frowned upon?
I think some of the makeup techniques are interesting, going to the lengths of surgery seems like a strange dealie to me, however, it's not like it's the only plastic surgery practices that are screwed up in society.

For the 'looks' thing, I don't care --- some of it looks natural, some of it looks off, it's just another shade of people out there :/
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
sam vimes
A real live wire

You're lucky, Sybren -- I wanted to look like Mantenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I think it's a little more complicated then 'Barbie'. But that's a topic too long to discuss here, though there is this little gem that happened a few years back;

A 'Sleepover' Barbie was released, included in the packaging was a bathroom scale with the weight marked off on it.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 04-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Man...
You do what you do, OP.
Do what you do.

I just can't even.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Do what you want.

Personally, it just means I can cross off those girls from the "Potential Girlfriend" list I totally keep and didn't just make up.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...

Live and let live. There's probably someone out there who finds things I do equally odd.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote