Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
Doc Boots

Overall, is PC good or bad for society?

PC is an influential force on today's youth.... Is that influence for better or for worse?

Does the "everybody wins" and "everybody gets first place" approach to school sports teach the right lessons that can be applied to the cruel adult world?

Are we all really that special and equal in every way?

Does growing up knowing that you are the best and special lead to unmerited arrogance in the future?
Doc Boots is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
figment1986

Political Correctness is whats causing problems with the next generation. I was from the generation it "slowly started with" but the upcoming one, everyone gets a gold star causes problems. Imagine little timmy gets a gold star for failing a lot, well when he's a teen he thinks he will get a gold star for failing math. Nope.

At competitions there is a winner, and a looser... while the losers will get something the WINNER gets something btter. I dont mind partipation awards BUT as long as the WINNERS are clearly known. Granted you don't get a job for having 100 partipation awards and no first, second, or third place awards.
figment1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
VulsaviiK

Parents need to learn it's ok to say no.

Everybody wins is a bullshit idea. Since when are participation awards relevant to the level of skill which one displays in sport. If you want to win, train hard and work for it, not get a medal just for turning up. When I did Taekwondo as a kid, I got the most accomplished award for the year, and I had to work my arse off to get there. I'd practice every kick, every punch, every strike for hours on end, attended 3 classes a week, practice my patterns over and over again until I felt I was good enough.

The world sucks, you don't always win, you can't always have what you want, and if you want something, you have to work for it. Looking at some of the people I know, they were raised in such a way that they have everything. I mean, one of my housemates, the one I don't see eye to eye with, gets $500 a week dropped into her bank from her parents, every week. That's like, 25 hours of work for me that she gets for nothing. How is that teaching her anything?

And yes, I believe if you're brought up on the idea that you are the best, it leads to arrogance. See, the University I wanted to go to instills it in students that they are they elite. I wouldn't survive there and I'm glad I didn't end up going. Doesn't matter how prestigious it is, I can't deal with arrogance very well.

As far as political correctness goes, yes, I do think it has gone a little too far. I mean, wouldn't you argue that shying away from issues like sexuality, race or gender, for fear of offending them, makes that an inherent issue?

Last edited by VulsaviiK : 02-28-2014 at 11:05 PM.
VulsaviiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Let's split this up..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Boots View Post
PC is an influential force on today's youth.... Is that influence for better or for worse?
Neither. The PC itself has NOTHING to do with it. It's what the parents LET their children do. Parents blame facebook for things happening over it to their 13 year old..You know how that coulda been avoided? BE A PARENT for God sakes. Tell them NO they can't use the computer 24/7. Tell them NO they can't get a facebook at 13..THAT is the problem..PC's can be extremely useful and helpful when regulated by the parents

Quote:
Does the "everybody wins" and "everybody gets first place" approach to school sports teach the right lessons that can be applied to the cruel adult world?

Are we all really that special and equal in every way?
Hell no it doesn't. It teaches kids that no matter what they do, they should be rewarded and not punished. If 2 kids take a class, and one did nothing but joke around the whole time and never so anything, and the other did their homework and got good marks, the first kid should be taught a lesson and left back a grade. But now they just push them on even though they aren't learning, and kids and newer parents are taking advantage of this and allowing their kids to be bad while still getting rewarded..I mean my sister's daughter was hitting kids in 1st grade and she said buying her a tablet would stop it..So she did it and she continued, then it was I'll get her a music player to stop it, it never stopped..She was getting what she wanted at age 6!! Letting kids do whatever they want and letting them still "win" makes them grow up believing they deserve to have everything no matter what.

Quote:
Does growing up knowing that you are the best and special lead to unmerited arrogance in the future?
I guess I answered this above lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Let's split this up..

Neither. The PC itself has NOTHING to do with it. It's what the parents LET their children do. Parents blame facebook for things happening over it to their 13 year old..You know how that coulda been avoided? BE A PARENT for God sakes. Tell them NO they can't use the computer 24/7. Tell them NO they can't get a facebook at 13..THAT is the problem..PC's can be extremely useful and helpful when regulated by the parents
I think he meant Political Correctness, not a personal computer.:P

...but yes, the "everybody wins nobody loses" is a bunch of crap. While I'm fine with "You at least tried, have a little trinket" for contests, and obviously "Don't be an obnoxious winner", when the people running it just decide "Well, screw this, EVERYBODY gets to win", there goes the desire to actually try and succeed because "Hey, I'll win anyway" or "why bother, everybody wins". I sure wouldn't compete in a masquerade if they gave every entry a best in show. :P
Not failing children who are NOT getting the lessons in school and need to be held back is a big reason that North America's educational system has tanked, in fact (and the fact that teachers aren't allowed to discipline bratty students any more and spend more time trying to control a class than teach it. Back when my parents were in school, acting up got you a ruler smacked into your hand after one warning. Heck, my own third grade teacher had no objections to whacking your desk with her yardstick if you were daydreaming). My aunt had to fight tooth and nail to get the school my cousins attended to hold one of her sons back a grade because he was struggling with reading and writing and mediocre at math. On that vein, I actually saw a lot of "Well, I'll pass anyway even though I don't do anything" attitudes in my first semester of fashion school (I'm a mature student, so I'm not right out of high school). Surprise surprise, they all dropped out or failed because when you don't do your assignments or homework, and come in late every day, you DON'T pass in college, and they still had that idea from high school that teachers would grade them on curves and take excuses and never actually make you hand in homework (good lord, one girl I had to work with in my final semester design project, I was ready to punch her god damn face by the end. SO damn lazy to the point that she came LATE TO OUR WORTH-25% FINAL PRESENTATION EXAM, and NOT prepared, and actually thought she'd get a pass because the REST of us did so much work and so well on it. We got given grade sheets for how we'd personally rank our group members over the weeks and she got all F's from me while everyone else got A's and B's.).

Likewise, too, being taught that you get praise for nothing and everything handed to you, including your job, hands you squarely on your ass in the working world. My mom's boyfriend is a supermarket store manager and every summer he'll get a few high school students applying for part time jobs who want above minimum wage to start (It's a union, but no, part-timers don't get that kind of benefit. The smart kids in that town who aren't afraid to work hard for good money get summer jobs in the goodyear plant) and then demand hours fitted to exactly their desires. They usually don't get called back, and he's had, a few times, parents calling to demand to know why their kid wasn't hired....
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Kids! I just don't know what's wrong with these kids today! When I was a kid our teachers would tie us up and hang us from the ceiling if our cursive writing wasn't perfect. My Asian father made me live on bread and water for a week because I got a A- on my blood test. I don't even want to talk about what he did to me when I got an F in gender! I was in the hospital for a week. Parents today suck! Society is weak! When I was a kid we had it SO much worse, uh, I mean better, uh, I mean worse! What is the world coming to!?

First - PC is basically just meaningless jargon that people use to mean pretty much whatever they want.

Second - most elementary schools in the US don't even have sports programs because their budgets have been slashed so drastically. If you seriously think that high school and college sports programs operate on an "everyone is equal and everyone wins" basis you really should read up on it.

III. Kids aren't stupid. If they come in last and you say "Good job! That's awesome! Here's a ribbon!" they know you are bullshitting them. Studies have show that over-praising children makes them feel shitty about themselves.

D. Getting into a reputable college in the US has never been more competitive despite the exorbitant cost.

e. The reasons why children are not held back a grade are myriad but entirely bureaucratic. It has nothing to do with not hurting the child's feelings.

Lastly, since we are tossing around anecdotal data, I live in the most liberal state in the US. My husband and I are social liberals. My kids went to public schools. We have never encountered any of the attitudes that are being complained about here. Of course there were some individual problem kids, but as an institution the schools were very focused on discipline.

In conclusion, there have always been bratty kids, shitty parents and lazy entitled people. There have always been societal forces contributing to this. Things today are no worse than they ever were. In many ways they are significantly better.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 03:12 AM   #7
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Kids! I just don't know what's wrong with these kids today! When I was a kid our teachers would tie us up and hang us from the ceiling if our cursive writing wasn't perfect. My Asian father made me live on bread and water for a week because I got a A- on my blood test. I don't even want to talk about what he did to me when I got an F in gender! I was in the hospital for a week. Parents today suck! Society is weak! When I was a kid we had it SO much worse, uh, I mean better, uh, I mean worse! What is the world coming to!?

First - PC is basically just meaningless jargon that people use to mean pretty much whatever they want.

Second - most elementary schools in the US don't even have sports programs because their budgets have been slashed so drastically. If you seriously think that high school and college sports programs operate on an "everyone is equal and everyone wins" basis you really should read up on it.

III. Kids aren't stupid. If they come in last and you say "Good job! That's awesome! Here's a ribbon!" they know you are bullshitting them. Studies have show that over-praising children makes them feel shitty about themselves.

D. Getting into a reputable college in the US has never been more competitive despite the exorbitant cost.

e. The reasons why children are not held back a grade are myriad but entirely bureaucratic. It has nothing to do with not hurting the child's feelings.

Lastly, since we are tossing around anecdotal data, I live in the most liberal state in the US. My husband and I are social liberals. My kids went to public schools. We have never encountered any of the attitudes that are being complained about here. Of course there were some individual problem kids, but as an institution the schools were very focused on discipline.

In conclusion, there have always been bratty kids, shitty parents and lazy entitled people. There have always been societal forces contributing to this. Things today are no worse than they ever were. In many ways they are significantly better.

Tokyo in Tulsa: Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - fem!Haru Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - fem!France (Hetalia)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
belligerent
Viking Metal

I think we should get rid of both the letters "P" and "C." Think how much more enriching life would be if the alphabet were only 24 letters. We would have so much more time for everything, like hunting rhinoceros.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

And the spelling of "pterodactyl" would make sense!

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
belligerent
Viking Metal

"terodatyl" is far superior, I agree.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I think he meant Political Correctness, not a personal computer.:P
Oh..Oops. That makes sense. I just never see anyone abbreviate Political Correctness before..Normally seeing or hearing PC I think the computer one lol Either way my point still makes sense haha just another topic..But thank you for correcting that for me
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #12
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
We would have so much more time for everything, like hunting rhinoceros.
I know that this is really non-PC because they are endangered and all, but to me rhinoceroses just look like something that ought to be extinct. I mean, they're just weird and primeval looking. But not in an awesome way. I like almost all animals, but rhinoceroses just leave me cold.
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
belligerent
Viking Metal

Rhinoceros are not adapted particularly well to life. One, they're not very bright. A lot of herd herbivores aren't, so I guess that's okay except that most herd herbivores with horns have their horns somewhere they can do damage. Where they're located on a rhino doesn't really help unless it's able to get the horn under (whatever) and toss it upwards. Like, it can't charge and gore something like a bull because it doesn't have full weight behind it.

They're really not designed all that well.
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
Squeaker-Ed
A Lotta Locomotion

Quote:
I think we should get rid of both the letters "P" and "C." Think how much more enriching life would be if the alphabet were only 24 letters. We would have so much more time for everything, like hunting rhinoceros.
That would at least make my last name less of a target certain kinds of jokes.

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking PC meant "personal computer".

DEBATING: Zobiko (House of the Dead EX), Alyssa Hamilton (Clock Tower 3)
PLANNED: Lisa Rogan (House of the Dead III), Jem (Jem and the Holograms), IT'S A SECRET {x3} (Assorted)
IN PROGRESS: Spike (Ape Escape), Pearl {x3}, Rusty, & Dinah (Starlight Express), Aoi & Junko (Dangan Ronpa)
Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook
Squeaker-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #15
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Rhinoceros are not adapted particularly well to life.

They're really not designed all that well.
See, I've always felt that intuitively. But I do think that cloning extinct animals would be awesome. Apparently there is a currently a serious effort to clone passenger pigeons. Dodos and wooly mammoths would be awesome. At least until things go horribly horribly wrong.