Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 03-05-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Favorite recipes for dinner?

I don't cook as often as I used to, and I'm finding myself making the same things over and over again and it's getting kind of boring. Looking for new recipes is tricky--I have to know what I want to make before I try to look for it. And that's not working.

Whatever you like to make and eat, please tell me about it! If you don't have an actual recipe or a link, that's just fine, I just need some new ideas. Thank you!
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
xRenascent
That crazy chick

Hmm...

I come from a Vietnamese family, so some of my recipes are sort of influential by my background and Vietnamese-style cooking.

- Baked salmon. Drizzle in olive oil, season with lemon (or whatever spices you have). Toss in the oven for 20 - 25 mins at 400 - 410 F.
- Fried rice. My mom makes this better than I can...unfortunately I don't have the recipe to this.
- Sauteed/stir-fry curry chicken. Olive oil, chicken, curry powder, a little soy sauce, a little pepper to taste.
- Garlic honey shrimp. Olive oil (I seriously love this stuff), garlic powder or minced garlic, honey, a little pepper, a little soy sauce OR fish sauce, a little pepper to taste.

My mind is blanking out on more recipes, but these are the ones I usually make in like less than half an hour.

EDIT: Forgot one. Sometimes I'll throw in some pasta with these recipes. I'll add some chopped parsley, a pinch of salt, and olive oil. Adding some sundried tomatoes with olive oil might make it taste a lot better though, but I have yet to experiment with this.

Also I usually just boil/steam my veggies with my dinner 'cause I'm simple like that.

Potential 2016 Cons
Nan Desu Kan/Rocky Mountain Con

Social Media Links
[deviantArt] | [Facebook (non-personal)] | [Tumblr] | [Twitter] | [World Cosplay]

I also stream/upload videos:
[Youtube] | [Twitch]

Last edited by xRenascent : 03-06-2016 at 08:47 PM.
xRenascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
KittytheSheGeek
Geek Extraordinaire

My boyfriend and I don't have much variety... lol

Shepard's Pie (with veggie ground because I can't eat beef)
Baked chicken & rice or roasted potatoes with veggies
Veggie & chicken stir fry with vermicelli noodles
Spanish Tortilla (it's sort of like an omelette crossed with quiche)
Breaded chicken & mashed potatoes with veggies
Stuffed tomatoes
Lasagna (also with veggie ground, or sometimes ground turkey)
Chicken fajitas
Tacos (with veggie ground or ground turkey)

Or we get super lazy and make pasta, soup & grilled cheese, or breakfast for dinner.

We use a lot of garlic, spices, and herbs in our cooking though. We rarely eat anything plain xD

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
KittytheSheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Basically all pasta (favourites are spaghetti, fettuccine Alfredo and lasagna baked with veggies)
A dish my family calls cottage roll- wiki "New England boiled dinner", it's basically the same thing. (a boneless salt pork cut boiled with potato, carrot, cabbage and bay leaves. Simple but heavenly if you love butter and salty-sweet meat!)
Macaroni and cheese with scallops mixed in
And a dish I call "Pepper chicken" (used to use pepper steak for the meat on it and then I mostly cut out eating beef, but the "pepper" part stuck... My family has really weird naming styles for food). It's chicken breast sautéed in a pan with sweet pepper, onion, mushrooms and a bit of pepper and poultry seasoning, then mixed with chicken gravy and bean sprouts and poured over rice. I describe it as "very Americanized stir fry" to people. :P
And a special occasion one, poached fish! I make Arctic char poached with a lemon butter and it's freaking delicious.
I also make soups a lot. I made one I call "French Canadian onion soup"- French onion soup with a twist. I use a lighter broth, add potato chunks and instead of toasting bread with gruyere on top, I drop in bread cubes and cheese curds, which melt into gooey cheese deliciousness in the soup (or extra fresh mozzarella if they can't be gotten). It winds up a bit like poutine in soup form, hence the name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 03-07-2016 at 01:49 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
KittytheSheGeek
Geek Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I also make soups a lot. I made one I call "French Canadian onion soup"- French onion soup with a twist. I use a lighter broth, add potato chunks and instead of toasting bread with gruyere on top, I drop in bread cubes and cheese curds, which melt into gooey cheese deliciousness in the soup (or extra fresh mozzarella if they can't be gotten). It winds up a bit like poutine in soup form, hence the name.
Poutine soup. You could make a killing off of something like that if you ever opened up a restaurant xD The most popular poutine concoction in my area is Butter Chicken poutine. I have yet to try it myself though; I don't like gravy, so I shy away from poutine in general.

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
KittytheSheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittytheSheGeek View Post
Poutine soup. You could make a killing off of something like that if you ever opened up a restaurant xD The most popular poutine concoction in my area is Butter Chicken poutine. I have yet to try it myself though; I don't like gravy, so I shy away from poutine in general.
I'm thinking of making it in a proper stew form too. Adding beef gravy/meat and extra spices, to go with the potatoes and cheese. I meant to do it this winter but never got around to it. :P
Quote:
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
Unread 03-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
belligerent
Viking Metal

I eat as close to no carbs as possible, so I make a lot of the same stuff over and over again, too...

I do eat a lot of beef ribs, however:

1. beef back, in the oven (seasoned with garlic powder, mustard powder, paprika, chili powder, cayenne, salt...i do this by smell/taste so there's not an exact ratio...). cover with foil, place on baking sheet, cook at 350 for one hour. Open foil, cook 20 min longer.

2. short ribs, cut across the bone "flanken" style (or korean style). I marinade overnight with some combination of powdered garlic, powdered ginger, sesame oil, chili oil, cayenne, tamari, sake, and 1 can of cola (again, i can't give you an exact ration because i go by how it smells). Cook on grill with high heat for 4 min first side, turn, then 3 min. Be careful because the fat on the meat can cause flareups, so have a spray bottle.

3. if you can get a tri-tip roast, those are also really good. Salt, Cayenne, garlic powder. This can be cooked either in the oven or on a grill, but it only takes about 15-20 min.

basically i just eat meat
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
shewhodrawscats
Certified Hugger

Pasta-- I could eat pasta every day of my life and I cook it more than anything else. I'm actually really in love with Ree Drummond's chicken mozzarella pasta recipe. It's stupidly simply and ready in like an hour. Such guilty pleasure food.

I also cook a lot of Indian food. My mum loves when I come over because I'll make her coconut chicken curry. Now my girlfriend has started having me make it for her whenever I visit, too.

And one of my all time favourite recipes I randomly tried online; pretzel crusted chicken bites. This is a HASSLE to make but so worth it if you have someone fun to cook with. Otherwise, it's too much work.

Upcoming Costumes:
Hierophant (Operation: End Game) - 64%
Belle (Once Upon a Time, Blue Dress) - 9%
shewhodrawscats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #9
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Dang, NICE. Thank you, everybody, for your suggestions! I'd love more, but I am so digging this glimpse into everybody's hand-me-down and make-do staples. Kinda reminds me of Mom's turkey curry, but...that's just turkey and curry powder. I take it back these are not like that. These are TASTY recipes.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2016, 11:39 PM   #10
TeaForThought
Knows nothing

I like doing a lot of stir fry type dishes....like say, your meat of choice (it's usually chicken or ground bison for me) with bell peppers, onions, broccoli or asparagus and then using coconut or olive oil to cook it all, adding in whatever spices you like and serving it over pasta or rice.
Jalapeño peppers or a good does of siracha or your favourite hot sauce is good for an extra kick.

I also like making a lot of "fridge raiding" soups. I'll use whatever meat we have on hand and adjust my spice palette accordingly. Then it usually ends up being any combination of leeks, green onions, bell peppers, cabbage, asparagus, broccoli, carrots and then either pasta, potatoes or rice. Let that simmer for an hour or two and you have something you can enjoy the leftovers for a day or two afterwards.

Admittedly we don't do as much variety as we used to, but those two seem to be good dishes to fall back on.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2016, 01:01 AM   #11
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

When I'm not at school/am cooking for multiple people, we often like doing large pans of stuff that we can just keep in the fridge and eat all week. There's this one chicken casserole we do with chicken breasts, cream of chicken soup, a packet of stuffing, and cheese. Soooo flipping good.

If you need something quick/easy, I've also recently gotten into putting eggs inside of grilled cheese. Another grilled cheese favorite of mine is to add guac and bacon. Massively tasty.
  • Phi (Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma): 66% (Accessories) Ikebukuro Cosplay Event 2016
  • Ariel Sail Dress (Disney's Little Mermaid): 40% (Patterning) Summer 2016
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2016, 01:15 AM   #12
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Dang, NICE. Thank you, everybody, for your suggestions! I'd love more, but I am so digging this glimpse into everybody's hand-me-down and make-do staples. Kinda reminds me of Mom's turkey curry, but...that's just turkey and curry powder. I take it back these are not like that. These are TASTY recipes.
If you want a depression-era "Make do" dinner staple, try what my family calls "Dog soup" (NO, there is no dog in it. It got that name apparently because one of my aunts made it once as a kid and did it so bad and soupy that only the dog would eat it. Remember what I said earlier about my family having weird ways of naming dishes...).
I THINK it's actually called creamed hamburger. It's pretty easy; take ground beef or other not-too-lean meat, fry in a pan with onions and mushrooms and don't drain so the fat is sizzling around nicely, add some flour to make a roux, spices optional but encouraged, add milk or sour cream to give it a creamy, sauce-like consistency, serve poured over potatoes (usually boiled ones) and some kind of vegetable. I have such a love-hate relationship with that dish.
Quote:
Unread 03-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #13
ilafatyu
That guy

Right now, my favorite recipe is rice and ground beef with a little bit of salt, because that's what sick people can eat.

Usually it's this weird Americanized shawarma, where the tahini has peanut butter and we throw a can of diced tomatoes to cook with the chicken. And it's on a tortilla. So good, so filling.

Or a not-quite-right version of flautas. Basically throw onions, mushrooms, peppers (bell and spicy), chicken, and corn together, then douse it in heavy cream and reduce until it doesn't look like soup anymore. Contain within tortilla and consume.

Also lemon/dill/garlic chicken, tossed into a salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Finally something that doesn't involve tortillas.

facebook page // nh cosplay events
Next event: Free Comic Book Day

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Actively constructing : Cloud, Zexion, Lie Ren
Back burner : Absol gijinka, Soren, Vaati
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #14
xRenascent
That crazy chick

This idea stems from my SIL-to-be, but if you have a crockpot/slow cooker, homemade chili is always a nice option.

Potential 2016 Cons
Nan Desu Kan/Rocky Mountain Con

Social Media Links
[deviantArt] | [Facebook (non-personal)] | [Tumblr] | [Twitter] | [World Cosplay]

I also stream/upload videos:
[Youtube] | [Twitch]
xRenascent is offline   Reply With Quote