Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 01-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
Adeloki

Gothic Fashion clothing stores

Do you guys know any US based gothic fashion clothing stores? Not Gothic Lolita, just gothic fashion.

Unread 01-26-2015, 11:12 PM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

What kind of "gothic" style we talkin here? Just about everyone I've ever met calls me gothic for wearing black pants and shirts..So what exactly are you looking for? The typical style of corsets and boots and dark lipstick kinda "goth" or what?

Sorry, but I always put "goth" and "gothic" in quotes becasue "goth" is really vague and never usually what people think it is. It's more just a mix of punk and victorian-esque clothing..If you wanna find the typic "goth kid" clothing, hottopic is your best bet..They still have that style floating around..If you wanna wear the more victorian/punk mix, I'd try to look up online places that sell stuff..I don't think ANY store that can be named on a forum will have anything..For example, there's a place by my friends house that has that style clothing, but that's the ONLY one with that name becasue it's a store with ONE location, period. It's not a style that really sells so no big name store is going to have anything. The good thing is that becasue the word "gothic" got attached to that so much and so fast, it's easy enough to search for that word.

Another idea is to make it yourself. This is the best idea honestly..
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts II)
-Cloud (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)

Last edited by Jei-Cos : 01-26-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2015, 11:13 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Most good stores (so, not Hot Topic) aren't large chains, which makes your search kind of hard. Where do you live? Try googling "goth fashion" or "alternative fashion", "Your city name/state".
If your looking for online stores, Plastik Wrap is my go-to for the most part (although it's Canadian based, not US). There's also Tripp (common to find their pants in real-world goth shops too), Lip Service and Punkrave, all good quality stuff and buyable online (word of warning, Lip service sizing runs really small). As Jei said, though, goth fashion has a ton of sub-styles. Many brands have a specific "type" they make for. And if you live in a bigger city area? Local shops are SURE to have local designers. All this said, if you don't want hot topic garbage, be prepared to pay $$$$. Good-quality subculture clothes are not cheap. Most of my pieces have cost me between $50 to $200 dollars (on the low end, armwarmers, goggles and a top on clearance. On the high end, dresses, footwear and a pair of jeans) and I don't even own anything really extravagant.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 01-26-2015 at 11:18 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

Goodwill.
No, seriously.
Go there and look. Get a velvet blazer that fits you nicely. Get some dress shirts in jewel tones. 'Round about Halloween they pull out all the weird stuff people donate, and some of it's good quality and not just Halloween costumey stuff.
Also, go to http://www.velvetgarden.com. It's an online goth thrift shop! It's great!
If you're into makeup, http://portlandblacklipstickco.com/ is US-made and let me tell you, it's good stuff. They have all the colors, not just black!
Possible Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (Five Nights at Freddy's), Lord Cutler Beckett (Pirates of the Caribbean), Freddie Lounds (NBC Hannibal)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
Adeloki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei-Cos View Post
What kind of "gothic" style we talkin here? Just about everyone I've ever met calls me gothic for wearing black pants and shirts..So what exactly are you looking for? The typical style of corsets and boots and dark lipstick kinda "goth" or what?

Sorry, but I always put "goth" and "gothic" in quotes becasue "goth" is really vague and never usually what people think it is. It's more just a mix of punk and victorian-esque clothing..If you wanna find the typic "goth kid" clothing, hottopic is your best bet..They still have that style floating around..If you wanna wear the more victorian/punk mix, I'd try to look up online places that sell stuff..I don't think ANY store that can be named on a forum will have anything..For example, there's a place by my friends house that has that style clothing, but that's the ONLY one with that name becasue it's a store with ONE location, period. It's not a style that really sells so no big name store is going to have anything. The good thing is that becasue the word "gothic" got attached to that so much and so fast, it's easy enough to search for that word.

Another idea is to make it yourself. This is the best idea honestly..
Rather than wearing full out gothic fashion, I am just looking for specific pieces that are gothic fashion, ei a leather trenchcoat. I have tried looking online but for the most part I am directed to sinistersole, dollskill, etc. Which are great online stores but I just wanted more options. Also I do shop at Hottopic, although only for their t-shirts, not for their imitation style.
Unread 01-27-2015, 11:03 PM   #6
Adeloki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Most good stores (so, not Hot Topic) aren't large chains, which makes your search kind of hard. Where do you live? Try googling "goth fashion" or "alternative fashion", "Your city name/state".
If your looking for online stores, Plastik Wrap is my go-to for the most part (although it's Canadian based, not US). There's also Tripp (common to find their pants in real-world goth shops too), Lip Service and Punkrave, all good quality stuff and buyable online (word of warning, Lip service sizing runs really small). As Jei said, though, goth fashion has a ton of sub-styles. Many brands have a specific "type" they make for. And if you live in a bigger city area? Local shops are SURE to have local designers. All this said, if you don't want hot topic garbage, be prepared to pay $$$$. Good-quality subculture clothes are not cheap. Most of my pieces have cost me between $50 to $200 dollars (on the low end, armwarmers, goggles and a top on clearance. On the high end, dresses, footwear and a pair of jeans) and I don't even own anything really extravagant.
Thank you so much for the store names, I'll be sure to check them out. In my case rather than decking out head to toe in gothic fashion, I'm more interested in specific pieces (ei leather trenchcoat, boots, etc).
Unread 01-27-2015, 11:03 PM   #7
Adeloki

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuruttaKanashii View Post
Goodwill.
No, seriously.
Go there and look. Get a velvet blazer that fits you nicely. Get some dress shirts in jewel tones. 'Round about Halloween they pull out all the weird stuff people donate, and some of it's good quality and not just Halloween costumey stuff.
Also, go to http://www.velvetgarden.com. It's an online goth thrift shop! It's great!
If you're into makeup, http://portlandblacklipstickco.com/ is US-made and let me tell you, it's good stuff. They have all the colors, not just black!
Thank you so much for the links! I'll be sure to check them out ^_^
Unread 01-28-2015, 12:25 AM   #8
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeloki View Post
Thank you so much for the store names, I'll be sure to check them out. In my case rather than decking out head to toe in gothic fashion, I'm more interested in specific pieces (ei leather trenchcoat, boots, etc).
Oh, forgot boots- Demonia and Pleaser are also two popular brands. But they're best suited for if you want blingy things with spikes and platforms. For a more "classy" look? Honestly, most of my gothy footwear comes from the thrift shop, occasionally new at normal stores, as I usually go for understated styles of boots and shoes or I'll decorate up cheap ones myself (my own style is less straight-up goth nowadays and more of a "classic" cyberpunk style- simple, formfitting lines but contrast colours/fabrics or subtle decor, cutaways, short colourful hair, tall collars, tall utilitarian boots, so forth, like cyberpunk fashion in its early days before everyone thought the punk part meant "cover in spikes and rip things up". Like so, though this is only an upper-body shot. http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.c...ture-491393593 ).

Oh, and seconding portland black lipstick. They have loads of colours (wearing one in that photo), handmade, though a bit hard to apply since they come in a chapstick-style tube instead of a bullet tube.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 01-28-2015 at 12:27 AM.
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #9
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

Ooh! http://www.gothic-charm-school.com/
She's a delightful lady who gives advice on everything you can imagine, has DIY tutorials, and a links section with lots of pretty things!
Possible Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (Five Nights at Freddy's), Lord Cutler Beckett (Pirates of the Caribbean), Freddie Lounds (NBC Hannibal)

Unread 02-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

When I was heavily into the subculture, I usually made most of my outfits and paired them with basics like black jeans and shirts.

Also don't discount places that sell western wear for things like boots and oilskin trenchcoats, which are usually more affordable than leather coats (which are usually made from faux leather) and last pretty long. And military surplus for boots and Dr. Marten.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #11
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

H&M is cheap and usually has stuff in black.

Unread 02-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #12
AngelInTheNight

I always recommend thrift stores. I have found some lovely leather jackets for cheap. Anywhere between $2 to $10
AngelInTheNight is offline   Reply With Quote