Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 12-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
jj1595

the anatomy of this cloak?

I don't understand how this cloak is put together..

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/anato...c001.1/70.html

There's no clasp at the front, but rather it looks like it's a ring of cloth that's been loosely wrapped around the neck/shoulders. I'm starting to think that the ring of cloth is a completely separate piece from the actual cloak.. but I don't really get the point of that

How do I go about putting this together? I'm hoping I could combine it so it's one whole cloak and not a regular cloak plus a neck shawl thing, but I don't see how that would work since I would have to insert my head into the ring in order to wear the cloak. I would also like for the shawl to also function as a hood.

What fabric should I use for this, and how much would I need? I'm 157 cm, which is 5'2". It looks like the cloak would drag on the floor, but I don't want that since it'll get dirty really quickly.

The manga is set in Anatolia (around 13th c. BC), which is ancient Turkey, which is next to ancient Egypt. The character is a person of royalty, but also in the military. I'm thinking wool, but I'm looking for the least expensive fabric that I can use, but still looks authentic.

Thanks
jj1595 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Ookamiki

Well, if I had to try and describe it, it would be something like, Imagine a cap with a hood (Like Doctor Doom, sorta) put it on, remove the hood and you have a bunch of fabric draped around your neck and chest.

If you're looking for something authentic, Wool would work, it's not horribly expensive, but you may need quite a bit of it, something like Flannel could work (If you squint at it hard enough)

Someone with a bit more experience working with fabric may be able to help out, wish I could find a better reference picture for you.
Ookamiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Holy crap. Red River! I'm thinking...Yuri's is the one you're looking at? I'm thinking it might just be a huge piece of cloth for the "cape" and then an extra piece that goes around the neck. Maybe for neck protection or something?

I can't really help with fabric choices but I am the same height as you, and I personally would get about 3 yards. Although I do over-estimate so I will know that I will have enough.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
jj1595

Yes I'm cosplaying as Yuri

So it is what I thought.. a simple long cloak with no hood, and a separate shawl thing. Maybe it's like a scarf or something o_O

Should I make them both with the same type of fabric? (Wool, depending on how expensive it is.) Does it matter what lining I use, as long as it's the same color as the fabric?
Unread 12-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Penlowe

The piece you are looking at is called a cowl. It's sorta like if you took a turtleneck collar off a giant and stuck it on a normal sized persons' shirt It's essentially a really big tube. You can attach it to the cloak around the back shoulder area for simplicity of dressing and wearing.

Yes, they should be made from the same fabric as i expect the artist intended it as one single garment.

I would use something as close as possible to the color of your outer fabric for the lining, and not that horrid cheap 'lining taffeta' stuff. plain cotton broadcloth is excellent for this purpose. For the cowl, I'd probably not line that part at all.

Last edited by Penlowe : 12-31-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
jj1595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
The piece you are looking at is called a cowl. It's sorta like if you took a turtleneck collar off a giant and stuck it on a normal sized persons' shirt It's essentially a really big tube. You can attach it to the cloak around the back shoulder area for simplicity of dressing and wearing.

Yes, they should be made from the same fabric as i expect the artist intended it as one single garment.

I would use something as close as possible to the color of your outer fabric for the lining, and not that horrid cheap 'lining taffeta' stuff. plain cotton broadcloth is excellent for this purpose. For the cowl, I'd probably not line that part at all.
So that's what it's called..
Thanks for your advice