Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Vanilla_Rose16

Being the only one cosplaying in a group at cons?

So this year for a convention in May it looks like I will be the only one out of all my friends cosplaying. This bums be out a lot because 1. I don't want to feel "out of place" with them and 2. There are going to be cosplay events I want to go to and I'm scared to go to them alone (since my friends wouldn't be able to participate, like cosplay truth or dare) Has anybody gone through this before? I'm a little bit nervous about it because what I liked about the last convention I went to was the fact that my friend also cosplayed with me, so we got to share a lot of laughs and memories, but it seems this year will be different since she isn't cosplaying anymore. What can I do to get over the potential awkwardness?
Vanilla_Rose16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

The first convention I went to, I was cosplaying alone. You feel kind of awkward at first, but you get over it quickly. I had a lot more fun than they did, since I was always being asked for pictures or treated in-character while they sat in the background.

Is there a reason she isn't cosplaying anymore? Does she just not want to make a new costume and unwilling to wear her old one? Not that it has anything to do with the topic, I'm just curious.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Sheik upgrades - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
PurpleDuckie
The Most Purple Duck

I'm usually the only one cosplaying from my group of friends, most of them just pop by for portions or one day of the con and aren't particularly interested in cosplay aside from taking the occassional photo. My boyfriend attends cons with me and while he is open to cosplaying, he doesn't do it often so a lot of the time it's just me - and that is okay! I get him to carry my stuff, or watch things while I take photos.

Quote:
1. I don't want to feel "out of place" with them
At the con there are enough cosplayers that you'll fit right in If you are concerned about areas outside of the convention, you can bring a change of clothes with you. A change of clothes is really useful, especially if you plan to go somewhere after the convention!

Quote:
2. There are going to be cosplay events I want to go to and I'm scared to go to them alone (since my friends wouldn't be able to participate, like cosplay truth or dare)
Cosplay panels, photoshoots, events and such are a great way to make friends with people in the hobby or interested in the hobby!

Don't be worried about going to things alone. Cons will always have a variety of events, especially the larger ones, and many events that happen at the same time. Every con I have been to I have split from who I went with, at least for a couple hours. Just make sure you have a way to meet up again, which is why bringing a cellphone to a convention is really useful.

If you don't want to split from your friends, they might not be able to participate in the events but they can likely come watch them. Just make sure you're letting them choose some panels and events too
Cosplay Tutorial (Tumblr)

Cosplay Plans:
Frostcon: Porygon Z
Anime North: Luna from VLR
Atomic Lollipop: Yellow or Malshina from Akibaranger
PurpleDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Vanilla_Rose16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
The first convention I went to, I was cosplaying alone. You feel kind of awkward at first, but you get over it quickly. I had a lot more fun than they did, since I was always being asked for pictures or treated in-character while they sat in the background.

Is there a reason she isn't cosplaying anymore? Does she just not want to make a new costume and unwilling to wear her old one? Not that it has anything to do with the topic, I'm just curious.
Well since we are both high school students she doesn't think she will have the money to afford cosplay (she has to ask her parents for money just to attend, so she doesn't want to ask for more) and I honestly don't know why she doesn't want to wear her old one, it might be due to the fact that her last cosplay wasn't 100% complete for the last con and she doesn't want to alter it. (Again, probably due to money)
Unread 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

I'm actually going to be doing this for this year's Mega-con so I can understand the awkwardness but when you think of it: We're feeling the same as friends who can't cosplay and are surrounded by cosplayers. A friend of mine couldn't get his together, so he had to deal with that and this one random guy just ask "How's it feel being the only person not in cosplay?" which didn't really make it better. I'd honestly just try acting like you normally do with your friend, and maybe playing around with them. With my fiancee, normally we cosplay characters who have the strangest chemistry with one another so that's what we do, even as a little joke when not in costume. Also, if you're uncomfortable you should tell her about it, and see if she's willing to do something, characters aren't always intricate costume pieces. Some wear regular outfits you could find in a thrift store.
-Mega-con 2015
-Metro-con 2015

Cosplay List:
-Loftwing (Skyward Sword)
-Postman (Gentlemen's Alliance Cross)
-Joker (Black Butler)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Unaki

I got over it rather quickly though it does kinda suck at times. I just wish I had a girlfriend that cosplays because there are so many characters I want to do that have intimate relationships (Kamina - Yoko, Kasuga - Kenshin, Black Star - Tsubaki, etc). That would make my day if I could do those lol.
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
Kiro

I cosplayed alone for the first few years of attending conventions with friends. It sucked, and I actually quit cosplaying for a year, which sucked even more.

I now have friends that cosplay, but we haven't done anything from the same series yet. Can never seem to agree on anything. Sort of a bummer, but it's definitely nice to have someone to talk to about these things.

2015 Conventions
AnimeNEXT
MAGFest?
Otakon?
PAX East
PwnEm Con?
Steampunk World's Fair?

2014 Conventions
Anime Boston
AnimeNEXT
CastlePoint
Otakon
Steampunk World's Fair
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Ilafatyu
That guy

Like Kiro, I forwent cosplaying for a half-year because my usual con friends didn't have their costumes finished. It sucked. Royally. With imperial grandeur. I made a promise to never ever go without a cosplay again, especially just to blend in. Because, as it turns out, conventions are 95% cosplayers, 3% non-cosplayers, and 2% confused civilians who think non-cosplayers are just as out of the loop as they are, and feel completely comfortable telling you how weird they think the people in costumes are.

So yeah. Just go in costume. Maybe convince your friend to go along in costume as well, but if you can't, just go on ahead anyway.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Sheik upgrades - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Vanilla_Rose16

Thanks for all the advice I did notice that at the last con I went to when I was hanging around one of my non-cosplaying friends for some time that it felt good to get pictures and be recognized by people unlike him lol....I guess I will try my hardest to ignore the fact they won't be in costume and focus on the con itself ^.^ Hopefully I can make friends there along the way as well.
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!

First time I went to a con, I was the only one in my group who cosplayed two days out of the four. It feels weird at first yeah, but then you get used to it. Heck, you may even make friends with people who are in the same boat! Having fun is all that really matters, even if you're the only one who was willing to get into a costume. :'3
[Aiichiro Nitori-Free!]

Cons Attending
[Miku Expo]
[Anime Expo]

dA
Facebook
Instagram
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
Unaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rose16 View Post
Thanks for all the advice I did notice that at the last con I went to when I was hanging around one of my non-cosplaying friends for some time that it felt good to get pictures and be recognized by people unlike him lol....I guess I will try my hardest to ignore the fact they won't be in costume and focus on the con itself ^.^ Hopefully I can make friends there along the way as well.
Yes take pride in the fact that you're getting time in the limelight and not him.
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

Pretty much what everyone else said. There is nothing wrong with being the only person in the group who is in cosplay. You'll have a much more fun experience than them most likely.
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote