Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #31
oreobunbun
Bunny Lover!

Last edited by oreobunbun : 06-05-2014 at 12:34 PM.
oreobunbun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #32
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

I'm cosplaying as player two America from Hetalia and personally, I don't like that character. Good thing I had everything to make him except the shades. I just wanted to do a Hetalia character that wasn't the normal outfit.
HerrLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #33
Ai no Miko
Shounen ai no kyoshinsha

I'm supposed to be cosplaying Sebastian for an anime convention I am planning to attend, and while I still mainly like the character my enthusiasm for wearing it is slowly losing steam. I've been getting re-excited about former series I've enjoyed (like Fafner), and finding other characters in the Kuroshitsuji series that I like more, or who I think would simply be more fun to cosplay, like Undertaker. I've only got two real problems... Sebastian cost me a fair bit and I've only really worn him for a photo shoot. I want to feel that I've actually justified myself in making this costume happen so I know I've got to put it on and do my thing. With how emotionally and physically exhausting he was it has to happen... I just desperately need to get myself geared up for it again.
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #34
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

I admit that when I cosplayed as the Ninth Doctor from Doctor Who, I only had a little inkling of it. However, it's because of cosplaying as him that I got into the show in the first place.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #35
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai no Miko View Post
I'm supposed to be cosplaying Sebastian for an anime convention I am planning to attend, and while I still mainly like the character my enthusiasm for wearing it is slowly losing steam. I've been getting re-excited about former series I've enjoyed (like Fafner), and finding other characters in the Kuroshitsuji series that I like more, or who I think would simply be more fun to cosplay, like Undertaker. I've only got two real problems... Sebastian cost me a fair bit and I've only really worn him for a photo shoot. I want to feel that I've actually justified myself in making this costume happen so I know I've got to put it on and do my thing. With how emotionally and physically exhausting he was it has to happen... I just desperately need to get myself geared up for it again.

See I can see this happening. Like. Cosplay is a LOT of money and time and energy. Personally I can't see devoting a huge chunk of time and love into something I don't even... love.
All the cosplays I've done so far have been big inspirations personally for me or I have just absolutely loved the character and wished to embody part of their personality through costume.
I mean I'm a bit bummed when I make an in joke for a fandom at con and the person just gives me a dumb look but... it's your life. So yeah for me I would never do it no matter how much my friends needed a spot filled. I would have to watch the show before deciding if it was worth it for me. (i.e. I'm tempted to do Fem!Norway but I would have to finish Hetalia before I would devote time to it.)
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #36
xxbabyjenksxx
Akatsuki Cloud Envy

I think that some people would look down on you for cosplaying something you have no understanding of just for the reason of them feeling like you cheapened it in some way. Specially for example if they are a hardcore fan and getting no attention from their costume but you who know nothing are getting asked for a ton of pictures.

The best thing to do would be respectful of the fandom. Do a little research about the character so if you are asked a question you can respond. Perhaps like knowing their bad habit, type of character they are attracted to, or someone they are shipped with. You don't need a lot of knowledge but a little can go a long way and then you can't be accused of knowing nothing about it.

HOWEVER

I do believe personally that it is a huge waste of money to go out and spend money on a costume you are not into no matter how much a friend begs or pretty it is. Because the entire time you're in it you will be wishing you'd done the thing you wanted to do and after the event you will more then likely never wear it again.

I have two perfect examples of this one being Seras Victoria and the Other Rin Kagamine. My cosplay group was hell bent on cosplaying hellsing and though my costume got a lot of attention I don't even care for her character and because of that I didn't care who knew who I was, all I thought was when can I take this off? Then with Rin Daughter of Evil that was 6 months of stress while it was being made, 1 month of tears and sweat when I got it and it was put together wrong and they wouldn't fix it and the con was in 4 weeks, and $400 later for a costume that was worn once.

(\__/)
(+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination(I did)

DeviantArt:
http://ichiruhatake.deviantart.com/ - more pics of cosplays

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/xxbabyjenks666xx - amvs and con slide shows
xxbabyjenksxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #37
NaughtsApproach

...i must say i am loving this new found maturity of Cos.com lately! it makes me so happy to see peoples responses in this thread. not to long ago, i made a comment along the same lines, wanting to cosplay something purely for character design not for liking the show or games or whatever, and i got berated and hate on for saying such a thing. I have been on cos.com for a very long time, and this is the first time in a while that i feel there is some hope for the forums again.

Western CO Cosplay group

:Website:
http://futagocosplay.wix.com/futagocosplay

:FaceBook page:
http://www.facebook.com/WeAreFutagoCosplay

Take a look at our pages!<3

OR My personal business page for any interest in Commissions
http://www.facebook.com/allisonsCustomCostumes
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #38
patriciarakel

My sister's current dream cosplay is some character from Homestuck that's going to require her to make some huge body suit that she'll need several spotters for, and she asked me to do it and dress as a troll. I don't understand Homestuck. I'm not a huge fan of the fandom. But I love my sister and don't want her hard work to get destroyed at a con, so I told her as long as she does the cosplay for me, I'd wear it.
Astrid (How to Train Your Dragon)
Tinkerbell (Peter Pan)
Reviving This Year:
Annabeth Chase (Percy Jackson)
Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games)
patriciarakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #39
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

I don't mind people cosplaying a character just because they think the outfit is pretty or because their friends asked them to.
HOWEVER, I expect them to do enough research on their character, in order to pose properly : know main personnality traits, general behavior, and some typical poses. I like my photos to be In Character !
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #40
Neko-hime

I think if you're super worried about it, find an episode or two of the anime you're cosplaying (or a volume of the manga, or few pages of the comic in Homestuck's case) and study it. You'll get the pose/body language/speaking style stuff in mind, but you won't have to be hugely invested in a series you're not crazy about

I'm doing almost exactly the same thing as SA2R on the first page. Cosplaying Kurloz, even though I've never read the part of Homestuck where he appears. I'm not a huge fan of the comic, but I love the design! Hopefully I will have gotten to that before June, when the con is, but if I don't, it won't matter much... I can't reply to anything people say anyway, because I'll have my mouth 'stitched shut' |D

Otherwise, if you really reeeeally don't like a character or series but just love the costume design, remember that (if you're with other people) social interaction at a con is generally limited to "CAN I TAKE YOUR PICTURE? YOU'RE SO CUTE! Bye!"
In my experience, anyway. xD
Neko-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #41
OtakuRoyalty
Otaku Prince

Personally I don't care why someone does a costume. I mean its their cosplay after all. But i think if you're going to put all the time and work into making doing the costume, you should at least do a Little research into the character. I night on the internet, watch or read a little. Look at clips. Just enough so when you get photo's taken your not standing around looking lost and have a little idea of what personality your should be putting on.

But that's just personal preference I suppose. Still It can make a huge difference in not only how others view your outfit, but increase the level of fun you have wearing it :3
OtakuRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #42
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

I personally don't have a problem with it or see it as a big deal. It is your choice on what you want to spend your time and money and what you want to wear.

It may be awkward if someone asks you questions or try to talk to you, just say you just really admire that outfit or one character or doing to support a friend. If anyone has a problem with that, they seriously need to get over it. Cosplay is about having fun and who are we to say what reasons others should or shouldn't cosplay for? I think people take cosplay way too far and seriously at times (wanting your own costume to be nice and wanting to make sure you are in character at times for fun of it as long not getting carried away is one thing, but trying to force others or telling them what they should do is kind of overstepping boundaries. Unless they agreed to do it for your group or something, it is really up to that person on how they do about it or how much research they want to do. Yeah it would be a good idea and recommended just to make things a bit easier, but not something that you have to do).

Personally I won't do it unless I had a good reason to as I rather cosplay for characters and series that I personally enjoy and like as it is more fun for me, but I don't see why other people can't cosplay a character or for a series that they don't really know about or into, as long as they aren't aren't doing something to hurt others.

At the end of the day, is all about having fun, unless it is part of your job.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra

Last edited by chibi_kitsune : 01-13-2013 at 02:27 PM.
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #43
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

There are cosplayers who don't know who they're cosplaying. I know several of them. C:
But there's no rule saying you have to know it to cosplay it.

Keep in mind that some people might get all skeptical about it.
I recommend you study on your character at least so you know how to act around with your friend who's being someone from the same series. (It shows you are trying. C

By you not understanding the comic can be a bonus because not even the Homestuck fandom understands it. ehuehue
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #44
Spazmodroid
AKA, the awesom-o 4000

i'm currently making a yoshimitsu cosplay from tekken tag 2. I haven't even played the game (I have played quite a few tekken games in general), but as a kid, I loved the character so I browsed through his costumes and went with the one I liked the most. The problem is I'm cheap and I'm not really a gamer, so video games are not first on the list of what I want to purchase.

which sucks, there are so many awesome video game cosplays i want to do...kjhfdjdshf
Hello, geeks. Look at your profile, now back to mine, now back at your profile, NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, your cosplays aren't mine, but if you stopped wearing cat ears and fishnets and made your own suits of armor, yours could look like mine. Where does this LINK go? Back at me. I see it, itís my facebook page filled with pics of me creating that thing you love. Look again, THE PICS ARE NOW VIRAL. Anything is possible when your costume looks like Spazmodroid's and not this.

I'm over 9000
Spazmodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #45
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

No problem to me, just prepare to explain yourself when someone shows excitement and asks you questions. I see alot of characters with awesome outfits in fandoms I haven't seen, such as CLAMP series. I'd love to cosplay characters from those.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote