Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 01-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
evitative

Persona 4/Sailor collar help

I am looking to cosplay as Yukiko Amagi at Ohayocon at the end of the month and have run into a slight problem constructing her collar. I am at a loss for how to attach the yellow trim(?) to the collar itself, and at whether or not I should attach it to the red sweater itself, or to a separate layer (i.e. a t-shirt to wear under the cardigan)

I do not have a sewing machine so everything will need to be hand-constructed. I am looking for something in the not-exorbitantly-expensive range. Thanks for any help!

Pics of character:
one two three
evitative is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Berii

For the trim on sailor collars I usually use bias tape, but Yukiko's is pretty thin so maybe a thin ribbon would be a better suggestion(I would advise against using a thin cut strip of yellow fabric because fabric can fray on the edges). You could attach it any way you like, but sewing, an iron on adhesive, or gluing would probably work best.

I'm pretty sure in canon she wears the typical Yasogami girls uniform top with the cardigan over it, so it might look more accurate if you have two separate layers. Plus it might be difficult to cleanly sew a collar into a knit cardigan (this, of course, depends on what the cardigan is made of).
Berii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Penlowe

the best looking and easiest way to to get that fine a line on the collar is a trim product called soutache braid (not entirely sure I spelled it right). It's easy to find in black and white, yellow might be difficult. Here are some good pictures.
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...soutache-braid

Soutache braid is designed to be hand sewn, it's kind of like two tubes attached side by side, making a ditch for you to sew in down the center.