Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Diverselove

Smile What to expect at a con

Hello everyone,
I'm new to everything cosplay so I want to know what to expect at cons; like what happens at them?
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have never been to one and I'm planning on going to one in a couple of months (not cosplaying) and I just want to know the run down about cons.
Do I pre-paid for a ticket? Do I need to get a hotel room if it's in my city? What do you do at cons if you don't cosplay etc.
Again sorry if this is a really dumb question (I feel dumb for asking it, lol) but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Diverselove is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

A bunch of craziness!!!!

On a serious note, there's panels, concerts, events, game room, and more to go to. Of course there's also all the people in cosplay to check out too As for pre-registering for a con, it depends on the con. If you register early you can save quite a bit. For bigger cons I would recommend pre-registering to avoid the long lines which can get REALLY bad. Hotel room depends on you. If it's in the same city I would say to save the money on a room, but some people like to stay at the hotel for fun anyways. Guess it depends on if you have money to spare

Just taking cool pictures of people and browsing can take up a lot of time at big cons though!
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

It can honestly depend on what con you go to. My first convention was San Diego Comic Con way back in 2004 (It was a lot different back then, but still HUGE)

I agree with DX, you should pre-register if at all possible. It saves both money and time.

What else can I cover that hasn't been said? Oh. People.
You're going to meet all kinds of people. Some of them will may be very different from what you are used to. So, I guess the best advice I could give you is to try and keep an open mind. Who knows? You might make a few new friends in the process!

And don't worry about not cosplaying! Just go to your Con, grab a schedule and have a blast!

Oh, and if you can, bring your own food and save a little money!
Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Diverselove

Thanks for the comments I also want to know if going to a con solo is a good idea (as I don't have many friends) I heard that it is best to go with others.
Opinions? Thoughts?
Diverselove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

Depends on how social you are, and the size of the con. For a bigger con going by yourself is fine. For a smaller con, unless you're really social, you might get bored by yourself. Although if you're in cosplay and you're by yourself, you might find others cosplaying the same series and group up with them
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

If you go to a con by yourself, be safe. Use common sense and if someone is making you uncomfortable, go inform the con staff. I've gone to cons by myself, but that wasn't until I'd been going to cons for years and developed my own routine (plus I cosplay). If you're not that social, try to bring at least one friend with you so you don't get bored, like DX said.

What con are you attending?
Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
Loveless12

You really should cosplay, it makes the experience that much better. Take it from someone who wasn't able to cosplay at their first con and regrets it.
Loveless12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
Persiflage88

I went to New York Comic Con this year, and it was AWESOME. Went by myself (no friends willing to make the financial commitment), but that didn't really matter. There was so much to do and see that it was still loads of fun. And still, even though I'm not particularly social, it was really easy to just start talking to people (i.e. in line) because you know you have stuff in common with them. I was cosplaying too, but it was particularly obscure, so I didn't get recognized much.

Looking forward to PAXeast. Anyone else going?
Persiflage88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

If you're over 18, go to the 18+ guest panel. Just do it, you'll never laugh and feel tinglingly-awkward more in your entire life.

Staying up to attend the rave makes things pretty interesting, too. If that's your kind of thing, I guess.

That's all I have to say.

Last edited by 12WolfZ : 12-28-2012 at 10:02 PM.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #10
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

There are no dumb questions here!

First off, depending on the con and their policies I would highly recommend pre-registering as much ahead of time as you can...you'll generally save a few bucks that way. Regardless, I recommend pre-registering in order to cut down on the amount of time that you wait in line.

If the con is in your city, I would say skip the hotel room and save the money. However, if you do have the money and/or friends who want to split the costs, I would definitely recommend getting a room. as it really makes the con feel like a mini vacation and allows you to fully immerse yourself in the con from beginning to end

As far as what to do? Well, there will be lots of cosplayers so be sure to bring a camera. Always remember to ASK FIRST as common courtesy. 9 times out of 10 cosplayers will be more than happy to pose for pictures but if they turn you down for whatever reason, respect it and move on...do not demand. And do NOT barge in a private photoshoots.
Also, there are all sorts of panels and screenings going on and perhaps even concerts as well...always check the schedule to see what is happening!

Lastly, I'd seriously recommend cosplaying if you are ever able to do so...it is so much fun and it really enhances the con going experience
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #11
cuda

here are a few things I notice my first con. 1. Water is your best friend.... 2. Make sure you know where all of the food places are within waking distance, The closer places will be more packed and will take more time. 3. Take some time and look at the event list, Find the Events that you want to see. 4. Take a lot of pictures, There are tons of cosplayers, Decorations and other stuff.

I would Strongly suggest cosplaying, Pick you favorite character and try to get it as close as you possibly can. I've seen cosplays that are not the best in the world, but the person cosplaying was having the time of their life.

And about the hotel Room, If you have Some friends that want to get hotel room together, then do it. It just makes that con that much better. Side note, Don't let your Friend touch the thermostat...
cuda is offline   Reply With Quote