Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
jj1595

no hotel room nor a car

I'm getting driven back and forth from my house to the con, which is about an hour away from each other.. so no chance of going back if I forget something lol.

So since I don't have a car nor a hotel room to store anything, how/what should I keep with me while I'm there?

The con is in early summer, so it will probably be warm but not smoldering hot.
I will be cosplaying, but it's nothing super elaborate. This brings to the question: What should I bring with me? Touch ups for my makeup, money, all in a bag that I carry around with me?

Also: How difficult would it be to change into my cosplay and do my makeup in a moving car? XD (I'm not going to be the one driving, obviously.)
jj1595 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

.. Since you have time, why not see if you can room with someone? Just about every convention out there has a section on their forums that's dedicated to people who are looking for roommates for a convention.
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
jj1595

I don't want to stay in a hotel because
1) It's expensive, and I don't want to spend more than I need to
2) The con is near my driver's work anyways, so it's convenient
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Of you don't want to keep a bag with you all day, check with the con centre/hotel- usually you can check a bag for a few dollars. (As for what to take, I take extra makeup and hairspray, water, my wallet, usually a small snack, sunscreen in summertime, and my camera and phone, if I'm not getting a hotel room)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

If you're cosplaying try to incorporate a bag of some sort into your costume. Use a prop as a make-shift holder for items like cellphone, sunblock, gum, money, ID (if you're age of maturity it might come in handy), etc...
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Kenkaya

mokulen22's idea of incorporating a bag or something else that matches your costume is a good idea. My first costume had kimono sleeves so I sewed a pocket with a zipper into it for my money, id, and cellphone. I also knew someone (he didn't know much about sewing) who cut out a pocket from a pair of old jeans he didn't wear anymore and hand-sewed/safe-pinned it to the inside of his cosplay's waistband. I also would recommend changing into your basic costume pieces at home before the drive rather than the car. I've been driving to a couple local cons lately (the farthest was a thirty min drive) and it's just a lot easier, not to mention more comfortable, to change at home where you have access to decent sized mirrors and can maneuver properly. It also wouldn't save you much time... unless you're taking off your seatbelt in a moving car (not safe and it can cost your driver an expensive ticket if a cop catches you) changing in a parked car is an uncomfortable hassle. You can put on accessories in the car and do make-up in the restroom at the con... but I would at least put on the outfit and wig beforehand if you can manage it.
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

As far as things to bring with you, usually for a summer convention I bring lots of money with me so that I can buy lots of water (I don't like carrying water bottles with me because I always lose them). So if your cosplay has pockets, that would be ideal. I'd put money, credit card, ID, and phone in the pockets, and then that way you don't have anything extra to carry.

Changing in the car is possible, I've done it many times before (used to show dogs and always had to change in the car), but it does take some practice and depending on your costume, you may not be able to change in the car. Makeup in a moving car... pretty much impossible and dangerous (especially if you're applying eyeliner). So I would not suggest doing that. Try to do your makeup at home, only bring a small amount with you to do touch ups at the con.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
nyokun
Difficult? I'll do it!

bring an extra shopping bag with you (plastic or otherwise) because people forget that they are buying stuff. Also, a small sewing kit, band-aids, water bottle.

If its Good and Cheap, it wont be Fast
If its Fast and Cheap, it wont be Good
If its Fast and Good it wont be Cheap
nyokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
jj1595

Thanks everyone

I'll try to sew in some pockets, but I'll probably end up carrying a bag instead lol. I don't like feeling uneven and I think I'm going to have a lot of stuff to bring XD

I will be dressing and doing my makeup at home before I go. Don't want to stab myself in the eye
Unread 12-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Well if you have some friends that are going to the con staying in the hotel...could you ask them if you can store a bag in their room during the day? I mean you won't be taking up a lot of space and most wouldn't even ask for monetary compensation. If they're people you don't know very well, you could always keep it in a locked box of some kind.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote