Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 12-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Ilafatyu
That guy

Can you 'take in' a wig?

I imagine it's a little different than taking in a shirt. I have a ridiculously tiny head, and the wig I just purchased fits baggy. Even if I adjust the little strap things in the back, it still makes my head look like a freaky alien thing. Is there a way to 'take in' a wig, or will I have to deal with a poofy head?

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
char99char
Crazy for costumes

Yes you can - I've done it. Get a needle and thread to match your wig. If you look on the inside - you can see the rows of wefts sewn in. Start sewing two rows of wefts together - basically taking up the space in between. You just need a simple overcast stitch. Start with two or three rows on each side around the ears - you want the wefts that go from the ear to the top of the head. You can also do the rows across the back if you need to adjust that way. Space out the areas you sew together. Hopefully this makes sense - if not I can add pics.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by char99char View Post
Yes you can - I've done it. Get a needle and thread to match your wig. If you look on the inside - you can see the rows of wefts sewn in. Start sewing two rows of wefts together - basically taking up the space in between. You just need a simple overcast stitch. Start with two or three rows on each side around the ears - you want the wefts that go from the ear to the top of the head. You can also do the rows across the back if you need to adjust that way. Space out the areas you sew together. Hopefully this makes sense - if not I can add pics.
I think I get it, but I'm not really sure. Are you saying to sew horizontally, looping the wefts together? Will that make the circumference any smaller?
I'm kind of braindead today. |D

Thank you so much.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
char99char
Crazy for costumes

Ah - I had to go look at some wigs. I took in a ponytail wig that way - the wefts were set up a little bit differently on that wig.

I would still try it - the wig has the wefts that run around the circumference. There should be some be some vertical pieces the wefts are sewn to. I'd try sewing two of those together and see how much it tightens the wig. You can try it first with wide spaced stitches that will be easy to take out if you don't like it.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote