Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
jujubee33
Neeeeeeerd!

Solo Con, Solo Cosplay?

Hey guys, I have a dilemma!

All of my previous years that I cosplayed, I've always had a con buddy to go with. Sometimes I'd be with cosplay groups, but mostly alone - and that was okay, because I had a buddy.

This year I really want to create my butt off and actually go to cons that are in different states. My only issue is that I lost my con buddy from yester-year. So, not only will I be going to the con by myself, but I'm also going to be cosplaying by myself...

Have any of you guys been in similar situations? I'm absolutely terrified on the prospect (from a safety perspective - even though I can be a tough chick and have never been harassed in costume). Any suggestions or thoughts? Most of my friends are into cons but are either too broke to travel, live on the other side of the country, or have schedule restrictions.

I want to be brave enough to suck it up and just go alone with no worries. I don't mind solo cosplays at all, honestly. I'm just worried about someone holding my stuff and having my back. Plus, its more fun with friends.
jujubee33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Shirayuki~Chan

Maybe you could go online to the conventions forums and make friends and meet up with them?

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Going to a convention alone isn't a huge deal at all. I went to Connecticon alone one year, and it was actually great! I ended up not being alone for that much of it because I found friends from previous cons. When you go alone you'll just have to pack slightly differently. Find a way to condense the amount of stuff you bring with you on the con floor. If you're worried about people holding stuff for you, then don't bring so much. Usually I only bring my cell phone, some money, and a credit card with me to the convention (I buy food and water in the con center), and then I don't have anything that I need people to hold for me.
Going alone to a convention is great because then you're on your own schedule and you don't have to follow your friend around or attend events that don't interest you. You can go wherever you want whenever you want, there's a great amount of freedom that comes with going to a con without anyone else, or at least that's how I saw it... also no con drama if you're alone! lol I have found honestly that cosplay groups are just stressful, so it will be a nice change of pace to attend cons without people. Plus going to new different cons is always a lot of fun, I love seeing new con venues and surroundings!

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
danielvutran
prinny dood!

I'm gonna be going alone as well, bringing my little cousins but they're gonna be running off in the gaming rooms lol. So I'll be alone for the most part, personally, I prefer it that way. Don't have to worry about dragging anyone along with me for my boring browsing habits lol ;p

though I'm a guy. Pretty sure it's a lot scarier as a girl. just avoid dark places lol, or shady areas. should be easy enough ^^, worst thing are creepers / awkwards at cons, but hey they mean no harm lol
Unread 01-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
CaramellDancer
Closer Cosplayer

Its always fun going with a friend or two. If you have a con your planning to go to in the future hop onto that cons forums or make a forum here, get to know a couple people who are going. There is a con I've been wanting to go to but none of my friends can make a commitment to go and though its in my state its still a good couple hours away. I've been talking to someone who goes to it and have had the chance to get to know them a little bit. That way when I do go to that con if I'm going alone at least I'll know someone else whos going.

~Cosplay W.I.P.~

Hatsune Miku: 2%
Maka from Soul Eater: 90%
Redo of Kairi from Kingdom Hearts 2: 10%
fem!Tony the Talking Clock from Don't Hug Me I'm Scared: 0%

Live, Laugh, Love. If that doens't work, Raise, Aim, Fire.
CaramellDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Kyuushin
Wakawakawakawaka

It's really not all that bad going to a con alone. You can make some cool new friends there. Just make sure to keep yourself safe. There have been a couple times when I've gotten separated from my friends and walked around alone and have had some pretty sketchy people ask for a hug or a picture with you as a rouse to put their hands on you. Just make sure to keep that in mind. You can still have fun and get some huggles but tell them to back off if you feel uncomfortable.
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
Li_Syaoran
Lone Wolf

or just go to the con, i mean the possibility of being hijacked into a group is at 60% i think.
<------got hijacked ALOT...
=_=
CureCos:http://en.curecos.com/profile/?ch=331883
Cos Group Page:https://www.facebook.com/LonewolfCosplay

Current Anime Con list
Sakura con 2013
Male Black Rock Shooter
Sword Art Online Gun-master/Swordsman Kirito
Male Suit Saber from Fate Prototype
Imitation Black Kagamine Len
Li_Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
jujubee33
Neeeeeeerd!

You guys are fantastic!

I absolutely forgot about the con forums. Hell, that's how I met my current con friends!

Thanks so much!
jujubee33 is offline   Reply With Quote