Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 12-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
CherriPetalz
waht is this

What exactly do you have to bring to Hall Cosplay?

I've been wanting to enter Hall Cosplay for a while now but every time I read the rules I get slightly confused. I know bringing reference pictures is required, but should we bring fabric swatches, wip pictures or anything else?
CherriPetalz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Given that what I know as Hall Cosplay is just wearing your costume around the con, I suggest you contact the people who made the rules for clarification on what they've got in mind. All contests are a little different.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Some cons hold what are called Hall Costume Contests. It's the same principle as being judged for craftsmanship for the masquerade, except usually you don't have to walk on stage or you have the option not to walk. It varies from one competition to the other and sometimes the rules can be a bit confusing, but you treat it the same way you would any craftsmanship contest - bring reference and progress photos with you to the judging and be prepared to talk about your costume.

2014 Conventions :
Katsucon (Washington, DC) - Megacon (FL) - Colossalcon (OH) - Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
CherriPetalz
waht is this

Haha so it's kind of like a school project! Thank you very much!
CherriPetalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Please ask the director/cosplay staff at the convention where this particular Hall Cosplay Contest is being held, because every one of them is run differently, and while some may want you to bring stuff, others are not judged so strictly, and others may still judge but won't bother looking at your documentation. We here on a forum can't say what they'll want, only the staff at THAT CON will be able to tell you what they would like you to bring in terms of documentation.

After all, I only attend cons where "hall cosplay contest" is someone walking up to you in the hallway, telling you "you look fantastic," and handing you a ribbon or a button. No reference, no documentation, no judging, just a sneaky expert costumer with a good eye for pretties. But that's...those cons. No two cons do it exactly the same. Ask the con first. Always ask the con staff first.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote