Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 12-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Jekka
such a friggin uke

A fabric that LOOKS like corduroy?

For some odd reason, there are fabrics I cannot stand to touch. Velvet, corduroy, and velour make my skin crawl. I am literally shuddering and cringing right now thinking about it. I just can't touch them. So, go figure, my future cosplay project, one Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End, has a lovely corduroy jacket.

Can anyone think of a fabric that will look enough like corduroy that I can touch without spasming, or am I just doomed to be a twitchy shuddery hobbit?

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/201...4r_620x350.jpg

;_;

Unread 12-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Nothing else will have the same dimension and texture. Asking for that texture without actually having that texture is like asking for a black fabric that's not black.

You'll have to bite the bullet either way. Either use corduroy and deal with not liking the texture, or use something else in the right color that you can tolerate touching and deal with it being inaccurate. You could use a tight brown pinstripe to simulate the ribbed look, but it won't fool anyone into thinking it's corduroy because it's flat and does not have the pile.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
char99char
Crazy for costumes

I can understand - maybe try getting a half yard and see if you can soak it in fabric softener or something to deal with the texture. (Cotton balls, steel wool, etc all give me the shudders so I get where you're coming from).

If it were me - I'd get something the same color but get a brocade. It will still have texture but hopefully one that doesn't make you crazy. I think if you get the rest of the costume elements - hair, ears, layered clothing, accessories, etc - it will look like Bilbo Baggins. I don't think the accuracy of the fabric will negatively affect you here.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote