Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 01-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
ArcaneSpringbrd

Makeup online?

Is there somewhere I can go to get makeup online? Specifically foundation and/or concealer samples?

Or do I need to get the courage and go to a makeup counter in person?

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Scarlett O'Hara prayer dress
ArcaneSpringbrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

I order mine from ELF. (eyeslipsface.com) They are very cheap for makeup. A friend recommended them to me, and I have been fine with them. Of course, if you order online, you can't match tones as easy.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Sayoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
g00dapple

Are you talking about drugstore makeup or department store/M.A.C makeup?

ELF is pretty good but like Larcenciel said, you can't match tones, which can turn out bad. I'm a really shy person but I find that the people at department stores, MAC or Sephora are realllllyy helpful. Just be blunt and say something along the lines of "I'm unsure of what to get for foundation/concealer, could you help me find tones that work for me?" They'll probably want to know what type of skin you have (oily, dry, etc.) but they are there to help you!
g00dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Camera Ready Cosmetics has select concealer, foundation, and creme blush samples.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
shonen_jidai
Ganbatte minasai!

If you can, definitely get some help from department store makeup staff or someone experienced to get the colors right. After that you can order online either directly from the label or elsewhere. I order my makeup from Macy's mainly because the manufacturer's own web site is not very good for it. I like to think that buying makeup in person is a rite of passage though!
parent's guide
shonen_jidai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Berii

As far as online goes, I recommend ELF a lot too. I'm pretty pale so I just buy their lightest shade and that's always worked for me! Some of their smaller sizes are pretty cheap, so if you think you might be in between shades you could always get two of them. I think they used to bundle foundations for first time buyers who don't know what shade they are (I'm not sure if they do anymore).

For in-person makeup, Sephora has always worked for me. Their employees are really helpful, even when I come in looking for really strange things for cosplay.
Berii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
thelovelysin
Informant

I recommend CoastalScents , they have inexpensive but good quality products. A lot of the makeup gurus on Youtube use products by them and they're ALWAYS having some type of sale going on.
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
kyronami
Crossplayer

Hopefully its not to late to give you advice, you really need to go to the makeup counter and get some help. If you dont you could end up ordering products that you dont like or aren't the right color and that's wasted money!

The brand I would recommend to anyone crossplay or not, is Mac. As a company they are also LGBT friendly and used to people asking for drag/crossplay help, they even sponsored a season of RuPaul's Drag Race.

Just go to the counter and don't be afraid to tell them what you need the makeup for, if you dont want to mention crossplay just say your in theater and have to do a female character.

Mac has some of the best makeup I've ever used, and the foundation has amazing coverage which you will need for a crossplay. The only down side is Mac products tend to be on the expensive side.
kyronami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Tigersoul

I second MAC though I havn't worked up the courage to go into the store I have bought some of it online and it's amazing. Also they used to have an eBay store that sold products at reduced cost, dont know if it's still there or not though...

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote