Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 01-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
PeregrineStudio
Never give in.

Girdles - Do We Feel Any Shame?

Some of us eventually have to face up to certain facts, and for some of us that fact may be that it will be impossible or debilitatingly difficult and painful to lose those pounds. Maybe it's a gland thing, a diabetes thing, or lord knows what else, but some of us just can't shed that weight. (of course, some of us can - in fact, most of us can, and should continue to try to do so. Even if you don't lose weight, you'll still be living healthier)

Even so, larger fellows like myself still like to cosplay. And it's pretty apparent that in Anime worlds, fat folks don't exist (unless of course they're a stereotypical caricature of an overweight person). So let me ask: have you ever worn a girdle? Considered it? Been disgusted by it? I must admit, the concept seems... well, odd, and a little shameful. And I'm not sure why. I think the image of the meta-fat Trekkie in a poorly disguised girdle has ruined their image. Why should there be anything shameful about it? We (mostly) all wear wigs to disguise our hair, why should there be anything wrong with wearing a girdle to disguise our figure? We're not hiding it because we're ashamed of it - it's simply not the figure of the character we're cosplaying.

I honestly have no specific question, I just want to know your thoughts on this.
PeregrineStudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Raven-Sama
For The Horde!

personally, I see no shame in using girdles or anything similar to that. While bigger characters are few and far between in Anime, I believe that if you really want to, you should cosplay regardless of your figure! I'm getting really tired of seeing people shaming bigger cosplayers ... it's ridiculous and it's extremely hurtful! Cosplay is about having fun!
So yeah ... if a cosplayer wants to where a girdle, then so be it! All I know if that as long as you're having fun, that is the most important thing!
Raven-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
xxbabyjenksxx
Akatsuki Cloud Envy

There is no shame in it and sometimes even the skinnest cosplayers have to wear something to make them look slimmer because the costume they have on is tight or causes bulges in one area due to another area being pulled in or pushed out.

I personally own 4 different types of girdles (the type our mothers own and buy from walmart), 2 waist cinchers, 3 corsets, and a FTM binder.

I'm not fat but I'm not skinny either. I'm Italian, that says it all. And sometimes I just need something to make my tummy look a little flatter because that one dress is more clingy on the hips then the waist and then sometimes I need to suck everything in 2 inches to fit into that Victorian style ball gown. Ain't nothing wrong with faking skinny or flatness when you have too.

(\__/)
(+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination(I did)

DeviantArt:
http://ichiruhatake.deviantart.com/ - more pics of cosplays

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/xxbabyjenks666xx - amvs and con slide shows
xxbabyjenksxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
Devkyu

I mostly use an athletic binder from underworks for crossplay, but it has the added benefit of giving a slimmer figure along the stomach and hip area. There's nothing shameful about it, sometimes people just don't have typical anime figures.

Even if a person is relatively in shape... spandex is no one's friend, so a little under support to give a smoother look to a costume or adjust a silhouette can be really helpful!
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
DowagerAtWork

A really great cosplayer once wrote about the topic of large cosplayers, and I have to agree with her. She said it's better to modify the costume a little bit if the cosplayer isn't the same size and shape. Girdles, no midriff showing, whatever it takes. Overall, it will look much better than a "screen-accurate" costume that is lumpy and bumpy.
DowagerAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
EastCoastKing

My great grandfather actually wore a girdle after injuring his back. The medical practices of the time could not do much to relieve the pain the injury left him with, and he actually declared the girdle to be far more comfortable than the back brace he intially wore. No shame in that at all.
Unread 01-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #7
DonnaP

Glad to see this thread because this was something I struggled with for a while. And then when I finally bought a shaping camisole, I really liked how it made me look. And I'm a size 14, so I had no illusions that it would make me skinny, but it did make me less--lumpy. And that felt good. This past year I also built a Victorian corset that I love to wear, it gives me a far from natural figure, but I like it with certain outfits.
DonnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Nostrum
R4Hscal

I've worn corsets to get that extra tightness to my waistline, but I've also made my partner a girdle. And you know what? The other thing aside from trimming and smoothing his waistline is that it makes him stand much more upright which helped to cut his military character.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote