Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Kuripu

Zer0's helmet

http://cdn.dualshockers.com/wp-conte...12/10/Zer0.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../6d/Zero01.png

So I want to make a cosplay of Zer0 from borderlands 2. This is my first time making armoury type stuff, so it's going to be quite a challenge! I have a good pepakura for his helmet and a general idea of how to construct it, but I was wondering about the visor part. How would I make this without completely destroying my budget? Ideally I want to be able to see well out of it.

What sort of material would be good to make the visor from? What could I use to make it so I can see out but others cant see in? I know you can buy tinting material but how would that work on curved surfaces?

Ignore the hovering 0 coming out from the helmet haha I'm not interested in making that and I know how to do it if I did u vu~

Thanks!
Kuripu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

From personal experience, adhesive window tint (like for car windows) will not work well on a curved surface. It doesn't stretch, so it will just pucker and wrinkle as soon as you try to wrap it. You can get spray tint from the auto parts store but it's like $15 for a can.

You might get the best result-on-a-budget by vacuum forming acrylic sheet. You might even be able to use a pre-tinted acrylic sheet. Plain acrylic sheet (even tinted or colored) isn't super expensive.

Make a puck out of wood or whatever, heat up your acrylic sheet, ad form it around the puck. Since the shape is relatively simple, you might even be able to hand-form it (wearing heat-resistant gloves of course)

As long as it's dark inside your helmet and light outside the helmet, even a mild amount of reflective tint will allow you to see out without others seeing in. That's how one-way mirrors work - they're not really one-way, but if it's light in one room and dark in the other, then the occupants of the lighted room cannot see into the darkened room.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Midnight Dawn

Well if you have the right tools, you can cut out the shape of your visor from a sheet of plastic (roughly 1/8 inch) as then for there you can super heat it by 225 Fahrenheit to make it malleable to whatever shape you need it to be. At a Tap store, they sell unused pieces which will cost $1.

From there, you can apply tint film on it.

Another method it to create a wire frame to the visor shape and apply a tint film over it. Costs are OK depending where you buy the materials from.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Kuripu

Thanks guys! Yeah I thought about using tint film over plastic at first but of course it would just not work well on curved surfaces. I wasn't aware of sprayable tint though, I'll have to keep an eye out for some!

And I have friends with access to vacuum formers/heat formers etc so that seems like a pretty good plan!
Kuripu is offline   Reply With Quote