Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 01-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
CaramellDancer
Closer Cosplayer

For a heathy body its all got to start with one thing...{need advice}

Food. I don't like saying diet, because diets are only temporary(or a lot of people assume they are). What I need is to change the way I eat.

My problem is, I'm a snacker and I work at Dairy Queen. Really doesn't help that I get half off blizzards. I try to be a money saver so I don't eat there all the time, I bring my own lunch, and when I want dessert I usually restrict myself to a dilly bar instead of a medium candy cane blizzard. If I do end up eating there I'll get a salad instead of a chili cheese dog.

I love that I'm on my feet all the time at work so I get some exercise while I'm there.

Now my New Years Resolution is to become healthier(so original, right?) and I figure that the best place to start is with what I eat. So I need to find ways to alter my snacking habit.

Suggestions?

I'm going to try to snack on fruits and veggies more then chips and gummy lifesavers.

Also I'm starting college back up on the 14th so that means I need to find healthier grab-and-go options for my morning classes other than poptarts. I can't seem to find a morning bar that I like(or I end up getting tired of it). I don't like nutigrain bars, got tired of Nature Valley, Fiber One, and Special K bars, and as soon as I find something I like I get tired of it after the second week.

I try fixing myself a breakfast burrito in the morning with egg, cheese, sausage, and occasionally diced green peppers but I don't always have time and end up grabbing a poptart.

On a last note, seeking ideas for convention food to bring. I have found an awesome hotel my friends and I will be staying at for cons. It has free wifi and a FULL kitchen, stove, full size fridge, oven, microwave, and dish sink. Its less then what we would pay for a room at the con hotel which would only provide a coffee pot and NO free wifi. A 10-15 minute drive to the con, but for the price I'm hoping its worth it.

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated! Once I get my eating habits fixed I'll be working on daily exercises.

~Cosplay W.I.P.~

Hatsune Miku: 2%
Maka from Soul Eater: 90%
Redo of Kairi from Kingdom Hearts 2: 10%
fem!Tony the Talking Clock from Don't Hug Me I'm Scared: 0%

Live, Laugh, Love. If that doens't work, Raise, Aim, Fire.
CaramellDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
rndmguy

Why are you snacking? Because you're hungry? Bored? Stressed out?

If you're snacking because you're hungry then you need to re-examine what you're eating for meals. Eating complex carbs, fiber, protein, should leave you feeling full.

Right now I fast for about 20 hour windows from my last meal of the day to my next meal the first day. I don't get hungry because that last meal has a pretty large serving of protein and fiber. That and well, I'm used to the fast. But protein and fiber always have helped with hunger pangs.

It's also possible that you're dehydrated and mistaking your thirst as hunger. Make sure you're staying hydrated by drinking water throughout the day.

I love me some ice cream, and when I go to DQ I make sure I get me that midnight truffle blizzard. But you know what? That blizzard is just going to make you hungry faster than not.

Snacking isn't bad so long as you stay within in your caloric requirements. If you're putting on weight and don't want to, then well, you just need to lay off the blizzards.

But a salad from DQ? Yeah, that don't got much protein or fiber in it. You'd be better off eating the chili dog honestly.

My preferred snack is usually nuts. I love peanuts, eat peanut butter out of the jar most of the time. Got to be careful with nuts though. Easy to overeat them and they are calorie dense. But man, eat nuts all day and not get hungry.

Oh, and when I do decide to bring my own food to cons what I usually do is buy a bunch of meat. TONS of meat. Then I grill all of it right before we leave and eat chicken, hamburgers, and whatever else I fit on the grill. This usually lasts about 3 of us for 2 days, but every con we go to we always find some nice places around that we must go to eat at.

Last edited by rndmguy : 01-01-2013 at 11:50 PM.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
CaramellDancer
Closer Cosplayer

Honestly I believe I'm snacking more out of boredom which is bad. I'm trying to replace some of that with gum instead that way my mouth has something to chew. When I'm at work I drink tons of water, but at home not so much so that could be part of the problem.

I don't always get a blizzard from work, but if I do (I sound like that beer commercial) its always after eating a meal when I'm on break and I try to keep it down to the mini blizzard.

I have a pretty high metabolism so I'm not gaining any weight(5'1 and 120lbs) but I know it will catch up to me eventually so its better to fix the habit now.

The salad? Really? Even if its a grilled chicken salad with ranch(yes, I'm aware ranch is one of the worst dressing to eat)?

And meat sounds good. Might pre-make some taco meet or something to bring with us...

~Cosplay W.I.P.~

Hatsune Miku: 2%
Maka from Soul Eater: 90%
Redo of Kairi from Kingdom Hearts 2: 10%
fem!Tony the Talking Clock from Don't Hug Me I'm Scared: 0%

Live, Laugh, Love. If that doens't work, Raise, Aim, Fire.
CaramellDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
rndmguy

Ranch dressing isn't that bad. I mean, sure it has a lot of fat in it, but dietary fat isn't bad. I'd personally opt for oil and vinegar or some Italian variant, but we make our own dressing at home.

The salad is ok, but it's really not offering much. Then again, I'm thinking of myself as a guy who has pretty high caloric needs and needs a lot more protein than someone in your shoes to meet my goals. If you're snacking out of boredom more so than being hungry then it's not really an issue.

The thing that's helped me to stop eating out of boredom has been to simply engross myself into activities. Weight lifting, cardio, reading, raging at people on the internet. When I'm doing something that requires my attention in some way I'm not thinking about food, unless I'm really hungry. So if you're finding that you have extra time on your break, play a game on your phone or something, read a book, make bracelets, just do something that will keep you occupied.

Now, something I've been struggling with on my off days is that after I eat my "breakfast" I'm still hungry. In fact, I'm starving all day on my off days which is probably a true sign that my body really needs more food. However, I noticed that on most other days I have to wait a good 10-15 minutes after I eat a meal before I feel better. Part of the problem is that I eat really, really fast but that's a habit I can't break. It takes a real effort for me to not go take an extra handful of nuts, or an extra 2-4 Tbsp of peanut butter, or whatever. That's all 100000% discipline at that point.

Which leads into this. It's ok to want to eat healthier. I eat clean at least 80% of the time. Even while bulking I do it clean, and that's hard to do. But for most people, depriving yourself of sweets and other such things is going to backlash horribly and lead to binging. It's much better to learn how to enjoy things in moderation than quitting cold turkey. So what that boils down to is learning how to count calories, learning how to measure out actual serving sizes, and so on. It's hard doing this eating out because sometimes the girls at DQ will seriously pack more ice cream in a medium than what would fit in a large cup. It's like that for all the places, and you have no control over it.

But binging is bad. Forced yourself to have no ice cream for 2 weeks? Guess what, you're going to hate yourself for eating 2 large blizzards, a large pizza, and some cheesesticks in one sitting. I know I hated myself after that binge.

I'm still debating whether I want to take food to Ohayocon. I probably should, at least for the first day. I just know that they have this peanut place in like the hotel food court that sells peanut butter ice cream pies. Last time I went there it was the only thing I ate all day, bought like 5 slices of it. Man...Can't wait, just can't wait.

But if I do take food I'll likely take my staples. Oatmeal, PB&J, and I'll probably buy some gyro meat and season it up real nice. Or some chicken and peppers.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
DowagerAtWork

You should make a habit of halfing any treat items you get. It's awkward at first (I'm constantly asking "Will you finish whatever I don't eat" before my friends and I go to restaurants) but will become routine. Eventually, you'll want to get away from dessert (except for an occasional treat), but it's good to start with shrinking the portions. And this is from a person who would get a family size tube of cookie dough, eat half raw and then cook and eat the other half.

I find beef jerky to be a good snack (healthy, hippie grass-fed beef, though, not Slim Jims). It seems to be just what I need to have a quick bite and keep away hunger pangs. This is the brand I buy.
http://www.gratefulharvest.com/all_n...eef_jerky.aspx

There are a lot of healthy snacks you can try, but I think it's most important to work them in a little at a time. If tomorrow you suddenly go carrots, nuts, and fruit instead of ice cream, fries, and other fast food, it's not going to be fun. And it probably won't last. So try making a couple of little changes each week.

And you are very, very, VERY right; It's better to start healthy habits now rather than later. I really wish people thought about this.
DowagerAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Cephas
ICXC NIKA

Replacement strategies work.

Try mixed nuts as your snack foods. Raisins for your sweets.

Tea (iced or hot) over soda as your flavored drinks.

Water instead of eating anything for any between-meal "hunger."

If you commit to eating healthy foods over junk for a week, you may notice that your craving for junk decreases. For healthy foods, a good heuristic is avoid anything that comes in a box or a can. I'm not completely sold on the "GLUTEN IS EVIL!" hypothesis, but you may want to consider getting most of your carbs from tubers and green vegetables (the latter is loaded with micronutrients).

Allow yourself to cheat once a week. Consistency is more important than intensity. It's better to eat great most of the week and falter for one day than it is to eat garbage most of the week and eat a salad out of guilt.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote