Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 01-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
Sokar

Protein Supplements

I have had new clients all this week signing up and without a doubt one of the questions I get asked is what protein supplement should I take, whats the best, what do you use etc. Here is the long and short of it. Do I use protein supplements/powders/RTD's(ready to drink)? Yes and no.

Yes I drink them, out of convenience really. If I am busy and do not have time to eat then yes I will. But I try to eat my meals, not drink protein shakes. Real food has vitamins and minerals that shakes just don't have.

If you absolutely have to drink them here are my personal suggestions based on taste and actual absorption. I have probably tasted 20 different shakes, and I have come down to about 3 brands I like.

1. Isopure smoothies or rtd's. The smoothies I like the orange berry flavor, very good. The rtd's I like the grape frost which tends to be kind of like Gatorade.

2. I-Force Protean- Yes spelled that way lol. I have tried the Vanilla Mint and Vanilla Cupcake, both very good tasting and good quality. Good quality powders.

3. Oh Yeah! They have some rtd's that are very good, I favor the vanilla and banana myself.

If you use the powders please keep in mind, more is not always better. Protein is the one molecule that does not store in the body. Depending on body size and goal most people can only absorb 20-40 grams of protein after a work out. So loading up with 3 scoops of protein doesn't do much for you. You just crap the excess out after really. Well maybe if you were a worlds strongest man competitor, the answer would be different. But for average size men and women, no point in going overboard on it.

To Avoid!

Avoid Muscle Milk at all cost! Most awful stuff on the planet in my mind. Might taste good but look at the sugar content and other factors, terrible. Also has a tendency to upset peoples stomachs depending on how sensitive you are to heavy metals.

Other uses of protein powder, you can use them in making a pudding or some cookies. A healthy snack depending on what else you put in them.

I prefer to eat. I will cook my meals several days in advance. Fish, chicken, rice, potatoes are all good and keep well. I cook every 3 days or so, just depends. If I have red meat, like a steak I cook it right then. But I do know some who cook it in advance as well. Moral of the story, it is ok to use them but do your research, find what you like and tastes good but don't rely on them heavily. I have maybe 2 protein drinks a week, most of the time less.

After talking to several fitness pros(all of whom are sponsored by supplement companies) practically none of them use the products. They eat their meals not drink them unless they are just in a rush. Most of the time one tub of protein will last these guys 2 months. I know some that only drink them on video. You see them mixing the shakes when the camera is rolling but oddly enough you don't see them finish the shakes, take a sip or two but not really slam it down. I say mostly, I am sure there are some that do. But by and large.... nope.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
EastCoastKing

Ironic that you mention Muscle Milk-I use it myself right now and have not had any ill effects from it. However, I also have not really seen any positive results from it either. Right now I am planning to just finish off the container I am working on-it is rather large-and then look toward something else, unless I start seeing more results.
For my own part, I also would like to point out there are largely two types of protein supplements out there: whey and casein. The difference is that whey breaks down more slowly, so it makes a good mornign and evening protein supplement. Casein breaks down faster, so it is better for your post-workout purposes. I actually drink a whey shake before bed that I mix up with soy milk; because soy protein is plant based it digests slower than animal based protein, so between that and the whey my body is being fed protein throughout the night. I find this preferrable to waking myself up in the middle of the night to drink another shake or eat another meal.
Unread 01-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
rndmguy

I thought it was the opposite and that whey was faster and casein was slower. That's why they'd say drink milk before bed time to avoid muscle catabolism, if you believe such things can happen so fast.

Protein itself isn't going to do much for you. Your whole diet could be muscle milk, but if you're not consuming enough calories your muscles aren't going to grow.

Me personally, I just use gold standard whey and mix it with water or milk depending on if I need the extra calories or not.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #4
Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastKing View Post
supplements out there: whey and casein. The difference is that whey breaks down more slowly, so it makes a good mornign and evening protein supplement. Casein breaks down faster, so it is better for your post-workout purposes. I actually drink a whey shake before bed that I mix up with soy milk; because soy protein is plant based it digests slower than animal based protein, so between that and the whey my body is being fed protein throughout the night. I find this preferrable to waking myself up in the middle of the night to drink another shake or eat another meal.
I think you got it the other way around. Casein breaks down slower than whey protein, which will provide a more steady release of protein long after consumption.

Also, the risk of muscle catabolism during sleep is meaningless as long as you get the appropriate macronutrient intake during the day. Even after a large protein meal, amino acids are still in the bloodstream long after the meal, and the short fasting during sleep actually spares muscle catabolism. Hence, you don't need to drink protein shakes just for the sake of preventing catabolism, most people do to maximize synthesis and recovery instead-- but that can be done with old-fashioned meat.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Sokar

Casein is slower digesting than regular whey. Not everyone is ill effected by Muscle Milk but no of no one who really buys it that is serious about working out. Most stores carry it because its popular and tastes good but as for results, effectiveness and quality ingredients its really a D level supplement.

What brands do you guys use? I have heard very good things about Dymatize lately. And its very affordable. The owner of the Nutrition Depot in my area highly recommends it and I see it a lot in the gym.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
nevershutsupkat
the morbid optimist

I have started to take Isoflex Whey Protein Powder in the Chocolate flavor. Taste is a major decision decider for me. Before Isoflex, I had Designer Whey and I hated the taste so I never drank it. This new stuff is so good, I look forward to drinking it after my work out. =)

Edit:

I guess I should also mention that I mix my protein with vanilla soy milk. =)

| edward elric [fullmetal alchemist] 0% | duo maxwell [gundam wing] 50% |
| barbara gordon: batgirl [new 52] 0% | chandra nalaar [magic the gathering] 10% |

| princess ariel's pink gown [the little mermaid] (planning) |
| sir alanna of pirate's swoop and olau [the song of the lioness series] (planning) |

"you should let yourself go over the edge every once in a while & enjoy your life"
-duo maxwell-

Last edited by nevershutsupkat : 01-06-2013 at 06:18 PM.
nevershutsupkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
belligerent
Viking Metal

I buy stuff in bulk from True Nutrition and make my own blends. Trying to really limit my dairy intake and have also quit eating anything with wheat in it as much as possible, so being able to regulate what exactly is in my protein powders is ideal. Also if you order a lot of it at once (shipping one pound is expensive!!! but shipping only goes up slightly depending on how much you order, so it becomes a better deal if you order a lot), it's cheaper than going to GNC or whatever, since their soy proteins are about $6 a pound...compare that to around $20 for the same serving at GNC. You can also get more non-whey proteins there...which is good if you have a dairy or wheat sensitivity. Did you know a lot of whey proteins have wheat in them? Why is that necessary??

The current blend I'm using is soy + beef + pea + egg white. Two parts soy to one part everything else. I mix it in unflavored soy milk (or water if I run out of soymilk at work). This is pure protein powder and has no carbs or fat in it (though it does contain an artificial sweetener and flavoring, and I have them put their "vitamin and mineral mix" in it...), so I also ordered that stuff for my next go-around. Some of the stuff I ordered for this time includes rice protein, hemp protein, and whole egg protein. Mainly I just want to try different things.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote