Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 12-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
DaRatmastah
MacGyver

I run a blog based on the skills and fitness of game characters...

Hi there! My name's Dan, and I run a blog called Be a Game Character, which is based around the idea that we can improve our lives by examining and emulating our favorite video game characters. One of my readers from Mexico recently reached out to me and said he loved my site, as a video game cosplayer, particularly my breakdown and examination of sephiroth.

So, always being interested in growing my audience, I looked up this cosplay forum and decided to say hey.

My blog can be found at http://beagamecharacter.com/

Please note, it is not my intention to spam. This is the only post I'm making here. I'm honestly interested in helping fellow nerds, geeks, and gaming enthusiasts, and want to keep building a community.

Please, let me know what you think of the blog, and what you'd like to see more of. Also let me know what you don't like, I can take constructive criticism =)

Thanks!

Last edited by DaRatmastah : 01-11-2013 at 07:15 AM.
DaRatmastah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
ShadowPounce

That's a really cool and useful blog you got there. Thanks for linking it. : )

Sejuani League of Legends - - 5%

Complete ::
Celty Sturluson - Durarara

Signature Last updated: 29/09/12
ShadowPounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
nevershutsupkat
the morbid optimist

DaRatmastah, I love your blog!! That is a very great and creative idea. I can see your blog motivating a lot of gamers to work out due to them wanting to be more like their favorite video game character! I'm going to share your blog with my husband. I know he's going to love it!

| edward elric [fullmetal alchemist] 0% | duo maxwell [gundam wing] 50% |
| barbara gordon: batgirl [new 52] 0% | chandra nalaar [magic the gathering] 10% |

| princess ariel's pink gown [the little mermaid] (planning) |
| sir alanna of pirate's swoop and olau [the song of the lioness series] (planning) |

"you should let yourself go over the edge every once in a while & enjoy your life"
-duo maxwell-
nevershutsupkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
DaRatmastah
MacGyver

Awesome, thanks guys! I'm so glad you guys like it =) Is there anything you guys would like me to do that I haven't done yet, any characters and/or info posts?

Some upcoming content I'm already working on is a new site with its own URL(I'm kind of outgrowing blogspot), the launch of the Be A Game Character youtube channel(video workouts, combat guides, buildalongs), and my own catalogued journey of getting back into shape utilizing one of the workout programs(I haven't worked out since september, gettin a little soft, haha).

Would you folks be interested in anything along those lines, or maybe something new? Let me know, thanks!
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Ilafatyu
That guy

Poking around a bit, you blog looks wicked cool. I'd love to see you expand into the areas you've mentioned. Are you on Tumblr, by chance?

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
DaRatmastah
MacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
Poking around a bit, you blog looks wicked cool. I'd love to see you expand into the areas you've mentioned. Are you on Tumblr, by chance?
Thanks! Wicked cool is kind of how I feel about it too, haha. I am psyched to move into video in particular(just got a new pair of tripods for christmas), I just need to find time, which is always the issue =P I am on tumblr, though it's mostly just reposts of stuff on the blog, and cool pictures I find online. http://beagamecharacter.tumblr.com I post on tumblr every time I make a post on the main blog, so it's also a good way to keep track of updates when they go out.
Unread 12-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
rndmguy

It's a cool concept, but I'm just wondering how you came up with some of the workouts.

Like for the Lara Croft one, you have intermediate doing 10 chin ups and advanced doing 15 pull ups.

That's really hard to begin with, but especially hard when you consider that women for the most part have much more difficulty doing them than guys. 15 pull ups from a woman is a pretty phenomenal fitness feat.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
DaRatmastah
MacGyver

I agree, they are difficult, but I think that part of the problem with modern fitness is that too much value is placed on cardiovascular fitness or bodybuilding, and not enough on functional strength. I've seen girls(normal looking and acting girls, not crazy bodybuilder types) do ten pullups with added weight on their backs. One badass firefighter woman I talked to actually does hers with 90 pounds on her back to simulate the weight of her gear(and she's only 5'4"!).

The intermediate and advanced workouts are intentionally hard, and one should work up to them from the beginner workout. If you'd like some tips on pullup progressions, I'd love to give you some. One of the things I want to do when I start up my youtube channel is progression advice.
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
SpamBot
Legends Never Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRatmastah View Post
If you'd like some tips on pullup progressions, I'd love to give you some. One of the things I want to do when I start up my youtube channel is progression advice.
Yessir, it'd be awesome to get some pull-up tips! Btw, your blog looks awesome!
SpamBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
DaRatmastah
MacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamBot View Post
Yessir, it'd be awesome to get some pull-up tips! Btw, your blog looks awesome!
Thanks! I'm actually currently working on a redesign for it to relaunch with its own domain name and host, so it should be looking even better in the near future!

As for pullup progressions, I just shot raw footage for some basic pullups progressions last night, the video channel for the site is going to be going live with the redesign, so you can see that then, but since that's not for another week or two, here's some tips:

Start with Rows
Find a sturdy table, or low-hanging chinup bar(something between waist and chest height that you can fit your body under), and hang from it, with your body straight(think like an inverted pushup). Then, pull yourself up to the table/bar as best as you can. If you have a hard time with this, try just sitting on the floor and pulling yourself up.

If you only have a chinup bar to work with, you also have to other options, chair-assisted pullups, and negative pullups.

On chair-assisted pullups, you place a chair under your chinup bar, stand on it, and grab onto the bar. Lower yourself with your feet remaining on the chair until you're hanging from your arms, with the weight of your legs being supported by the chair. Now try to pull yourself up. Probably still pretty hard. This is where the chair assist comes in. You want to push with your legs, like you're standing up, to give yourself a little extra "oomph" to get yourself up and over the bar. Use as little legs as possible while doing this, you still want your arms to bear the brunt. As you do this in your workouts, you should slowly require less and less leg push to make it up.

Negative pullups are also done with a chair under the bar. You stand up, grab the bar with your arms bent so you're in the full "up" position of the pullup, then step off the chair and try to lower yourself to the ground as slowly as possible. Repeat as many times as the workout calls for. This will also help you move towards full pullups.

Any of these exercises can be subbed in for your pullup requirements in a given workout, ideally you want to work your way up to chair-assisted pullups before graduating to the real thing, just because they best simulate the full range of motion and angle of attack of a full pullup.

Sorry if that's a bit wordy. Like I said, videos should be live in a few weeks, which should help. If you've got any more questions or problems I'll be happy to help =)
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
FoxyNinja398
Newbie Cosplayer

Checked out your blog today and I've got to say it's a great idea (I think it's funny that I'm already kinda doing the Ezio workout!). I'll definately be back on and read through all your back posts.
*Sakura (TRC- White December artbook version)
*Miku (Vocaloid)
*Archer/Gilgamesh (Fate/Zero)
*Alter Saber (Fate/stay night)
FoxyNinja398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
DowagerAtWork

I think the idea of a site like that is great. My friend and I are always talking about how fans never seem to get inspiration from the characters they idealize, just entertainment. We just watch these incredible characters run around while our own bodies turn to mush.

I'll definitely be giving the site a look. Personally, I would be interested to see spotlights on people who have actually gotten in shape (or are in the process of) like their favorite characters. Maybe videos, even, where they can talk about their fitness journey.
DowagerAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #13
ImNotThatDrunk
Doing it Off the Rack

I love this blog, and I'm definitely taking down some of these recipes. (Salad's great, but becoming repetitive). Also if you ever branch out from video game characters and do a page on Power Rangers - I might die happy. :-)

Keep up the great work!
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
DaRatmastah
MacGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyNinja398 View Post
Checked out your blog today and I've got to say it's a great idea (I think it's funny that I'm already kinda doing the Ezio workout!). I'll definately be back on and read through all your back posts.
Thanks! Yeah, the Ezio workout was the first one I made up, and still one of my favorites. I'm currently training to run Tough Mudders and the Ezio workout is my primary framework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowagerAtWork View Post
I think the idea of a site like that is great. My friend and I are always talking about how fans never seem to get inspiration from the characters they idealize, just entertainment. We just watch these incredible characters run around while our own bodies turn to mush.

I'll definitely be giving the site a look. Personally, I would be interested to see spotlights on people who have actually gotten in shape (or are in the process of) like their favorite characters. Maybe videos, even, where they can talk about their fitness journey.
Thank you =) Yeah, I've always drawn inspiration for fitness and life from games and anime shows. I was inspired to begin writing the blog after hearing about Jane McGonigal and her work in the same sort of field. You can see her TED talk here: http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgoni...ter_world.html Awesome stuff!

As for the people spotlights, I want to start doing the same. My wife and I are actually both rather out of shape at the moment(we had a bit of a rough year in 2012), so we're currently chronicling our return to fitness! Well, it's my return to fitness, and her first full journey there. She's been overweight her whole life, but she lost sixty pounds on the Medifast diet before regaining some weight back due to the stress we had going on.

That said, she's looking to shed 60 pounds by June with the Lara Croft workout(along with some other exercise programs), and I'm looking to shed 35 pounds to get back down to a healthy 185. We'll be chronicling our journey weekly on the blog, with monthly photo updates, and you can see our first posts in the series on December 31s 2012, and January 1st 2013!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotThatDrunk View Post
I love this blog, and I'm definitely taking down some of these recipes. (Salad's great, but becoming repetitive). Also if you ever branch out from video game characters and do a page on Power Rangers - I might die happy. :-)

Keep up the great work!
I'm glad you like the blog! I'm planning on doing more recipes in the near future, so stay tuned for those. As for power rangers...hey, technically there were power ranger video games...

If I did one, it'd probably be Tommy. Green ranger was the OG. =P
Unread 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
DaRatmastah
MacGyver

Sorry guys, I replied yesterday, but it got flagged for "moderator" approval, and then I guess never got approved...

Anyway, thank you, FoxyNinja398! The Ezio workout is one of the oldest ones on the blog, but it's still one of my favorites, and it's the one I currently follow!

DowagerAtWork, I'm glad you like the site. I find we're not the only ones with that line of thinking. I was actually inspired to start the blog after listening to a TED talk by Jane McGonigal, look her up! In regards to the spotlight on people, my wife and I will actually be doing just that for the course of at least the next few months. Check out the posts for Dec. 12st 2102 and Jan 1st 2013 to see the beginnings!

I'mNotThatDrunk, I'm glad someone's appreciating the recipes, I'll be posting more of those in the future. As for the power rangers thing, hey, there were a few power ranger games! =P If I had to pick a ranger to profile, I think I'd have to do Tommy as the Green Ranger. He was always my favorite =D