Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
FluffyCoatIzaya
I Love Izaya Orihara ^^

whats considered wig styling?

is commissioning a wig for people always about cutting a stuff off the wig? or can it just be buying a base wig and a clip on pony tail and putting the clip on the wig and moving some hair? does that count? or no just curious.
FluffyCoatIzaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
highsky

I probably wouldn't count clipping an extension (that doesn't need sewing like wefts) on to a wig as 'styling'. "Moving some hair" is a bit vague since that could either mean fixing hair into place in a mirror yourself, but (as far as styling goes) it's much more than that. There's a shaping to the wig that needs to be done and, for some wigs, you have to take into account if the wig is on a thinner side than most or if it needs wefts or additional work to keep the netting from being seen.

Usually when I do wigs for people (either for friends or on commission), I cut and/or trim, put layers, shape/spray the hair into place (so it won't move), add wefts, and or widows peak as needed/depending on the character. You can offer a commissioner a base wig to work from and they do the character's hair style shaping, but if it's just adding on a pony tail extension that simply clips and is something you can do yourself, I would opt to do that yourself.
Unread 01-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyCoatIzaya View Post
is commissioning a wig for people always about cutting a stuff off the wig? or can it just be buying a base wig and a clip on pony tail and putting the clip on the wig and moving some hair? does that count? or no just curious.
Pretty much ANY wig you buy is going to need styling to fit the character. That's why they're called BASE wigs, that's a base, a starting point. That goes even if you're buying a specialty wig. Unless it states ON the site that it is pre-styled specifically, but even then I would be wary. But if you're commissioning someone to get the wig character perfect then yes they SHOULD be cutting off hair to fit that look more perfectly. Unless your character has a horrible overgrown bowl haircut with no definition and purposeful bangs that don't fit... YEAH OKAY you pretty much have to cut a wig to fit YOU to get it to look it's best. For me, I apparently have a really small head and a high forehead, but for some reason I end up cutting a lot more off the bangs than most do.
I wouldn't commission someone to 'move hair around'.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote