Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Kuro Akui Ryuu
I bleed for you...

Insanity Workout and Hip Hop Abs

I've been having a lot of trouble losing weight and keeping it off and nothing seems to work so I started looking into both these work outs and they seem really good. But I wanna know, has anyone here done one or both of these fitness programs? Do they actually work? Im desperate to lose weight and I need to find a good workout routine, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

AX 2014 Cosplays:
Lady HUNK (Resident Evil)
Raven (Teen Titans)
Winter Soldier (Captain America 2)
The Great Fairy (Legend of Zelda)
Kuro Akui Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
nevershutsupkat
the morbid optimist

I have bought the Insanity program. I started it in the summer and got through week 1 and never continued. >< I loved the program, but honestly, I think it was a little too much for me to do at the time. I had a baby about 6 months before starting and with my back issues, I couldn't handle it. The schedule poster is still hanging in my kitchen. ><;; I did like the intensity that the program gave. It reminded me of basic training. Lol.

On Black Friday, I bought Turbo Fire and I LOVE it! I am on week 3 now. Insanity is broken up into 2 4-week segments with a week of recovery and stretching between, where Turbo Fire is a 16 week program with one rest day a week. I would highly recommend liking into Turbo Fire as well if you are looking at Beach Body products. I can already see a difference in my body. My legs are getting more toned and my stomach is getting tighter. I haven't seen a change in the scale much, but I would be happier to lose inches than pounds.

There is also a huge difference in the teaching styles. Shawn really reminds me of a Drill Sergeant and he will push you to your limits. Chalene will push you just as much, but she is nicer in her workouts and doesn't yell at you through the TV. Haha!

I hope I was able to help.

| edward elric [fullmetal alchemist] 0% | duo maxwell [gundam wing] 50% |
| barbara gordon: batgirl [new 52] 0% | chandra nalaar [magic the gathering] 10% |

| princess ariel's pink gown [the little mermaid] (planning) |
| sir alanna of pirate's swoop and olau [the song of the lioness series] (planning) |

"you should let yourself go over the edge every once in a while & enjoy your life"
-duo maxwell-
nevershutsupkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
rndmguy

I've tried both programs out of random curiosity.

They're both cardio and they both will do as advertised if you diet. You're not going to have a body like the models in there without a bit of weight training and getting to a pretty low body fat percentage, but if you're doing everything else right then they work.

Hip Hop Abs is pretty fun if you like to think you're dancing. On it's own it's not very challenging, but you don't need your cardio to make you nauseous for it to be effective.

I'd advise against Insanity. Will it work? Sure. But most people don't even know the basics of nutrition, let alone what's required nutritionally to not kill yourself on that program. Simply put, you're just asking to snap yourself up doing it.

Walking at a moderate pace on a moderate incline is plenty enough intensity for cardio. Or, you can take the route I did. Jump rope and DDR are my go tos for cardio.

Losing weight starts in the kitchen. 90% of losing weight is diet. It's all about calories in and calories out. Figure out your caloric needs, go into a deficit, and you're likely to see better results than just guessing and saying, "If I exercise I'll lose weight."
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
nevershutsupkat
the morbid optimist

Rndmguy is right. I forgot to mention my diet.

I have changed my diet since starting Turbo Fire. They do come with a nutrition guide if you want to follow that. I am a vegetarian so I don't follow it myself, but the pictures do look good!
I have cut out most sugar (I still enjoy my banana at breakfast and a snack of fruit in the afternoon) but I drink only water and I avoid empty calories.

But honestly, if you put in the effort and the work, it will pay off. You just gotta be committed! It's gonna be rough, I know personally. I have pretty bad self control but once I get past that little hump, I'm golden. They say it takes 21 days to break/make a habit. =)

| edward elric [fullmetal alchemist] 0% | duo maxwell [gundam wing] 50% |
| barbara gordon: batgirl [new 52] 0% | chandra nalaar [magic the gathering] 10% |

| princess ariel's pink gown [the little mermaid] (planning) |
| sir alanna of pirate's swoop and olau [the song of the lioness series] (planning) |

"you should let yourself go over the edge every once in a while & enjoy your life"
-duo maxwell-
nevershutsupkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
murderprincess

I have done insanity and am currently on my first week of Hip Hop Abs. While doing insanity I lost 15 pounds (155-140) and 2in from my bust, 4 in from my waist, and 2 in from my hips. I also have some muscle definition in my arms which ive never seen before in my life. I have never been active and have always been on the heavy side. This workout was very hard and sometimes you just want to give up. So as long as you are willing to work hard its a good program.
And with the diet I went from eating three big meals to 5 little ones. I didnt follow the meals that were given and made up my own. And I did not give up chocolate...Id have to be allergic to the stuff and even then i might not part with it

As for Hip hop abs its a fun workout. Though im having trouble matching the moves that he does. Im trying to concentrate on moving my abs/stomach and he keeps going adding arm and leg movements....Im glad no one can see me because I certainly do not look like im dancing XD Ill update at the end of the month to tell my results!

If you have any questions about either program feel free to ask!

Last edited by murderprincess : 01-03-2013 at 10:14 PM.
murderprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
Kuro Akui Ryuu
I bleed for you...

Thanks everyone for the info, its very helpful! ^-^
I also forgot to ask about a good diet. Has anyone been on a diet that actually works for fat weight and not just water weight?

AX 2014 Cosplays:
Lady HUNK (Resident Evil)
Raven (Teen Titans)
Winter Soldier (Captain America 2)
The Great Fairy (Legend of Zelda)
Kuro Akui Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
rndmguy

Any "diet" works for fat weight so long as you're in a caloric deficit. The problem is that it takes a while for fat to actually be burned. So if you're weighing yourself 1-3 days after starting any diet of course it's likely you haven't burned much fat. It's generally recommended that when you weigh yourself give it 1-2 weeks.

Also, water weight tends to go pretty fast and unless you eat all of the wrong stuff the wrong way on a cheat day it'll stabilize after that first week or two.

I'm going to try to keep it short, but if you'd like a more detailed explanation of all of this I don't mind giving it.

Losing weight is simply calories in vs calories out. If you are consuming less calories than your body needs you will lose weight. You could, although I don't recommend it, eat nothing but fast food for every meal and still lose considerable weight. And I'm not talking about their crap salads either. I mean getting a big mac for every meal. So long as your calories in is less than your needs, you will lose weight.

There's tons of calculators to figure out your caloric needs. All of them are estimates and may take 1-3 weeks of playing around to figure out your maintenance calories, or the calories you need to remain a stable weight. Simply put, this is determined by your basal metabolic rate, which is based off of your age; weight; height; and sex, and your activity level which not only includes your exercise regimen but all activity you do in the day.

After that, you subtract calories to go into a deficit to lose weight or add for a surplus to gain weight. Now, it's silly to just say "Hey, gonna subtract 1000 calories." Generally speaking, you shouldn't subtract or add no more than 20% of your maintenance. Weight loss and gain is a slow process.

So you figured out your calories? Well, really, that's all you need. Now here are some skills you'll need to learn, how to read nutrition labels and how to measure food properly.

When you learn how to read nutrition labels and then how to count calories, you'll notice the serving size. Do not try to eye ball it. Most of us completely and totally overestimate the serving sizes, especially with our carbs like rice and pasta. Get measuring cups and spoons and measure. Yes, it is a pain, but don't cheat yourself.

You need to count everything you put in your mouth that isn't water. I'd recommend some kind of journal, on or offline, to keep track. Do not cheat yourself on this. If you ate that piece of chocolate, write it down. You're only doing yourself a disservice by cheating and not writing down.

Eating clean is cool, but it's hard. Really hard. Don't deprive yourself of things you love because they're "unhealthy". You'll hurt yourself so bad psychologically that you'll be prone to binging, and then beating yourself up over it. Now that you know how to count calories you can adjust your day around that ice cream if need be.

Try to avoid eating out. The nutrition information restaurants give isn't often accurate because of human error from those serving you food. You'll do much better measuring out and cooking your own food almost 90% of the time. If you have to eat out, go ahead and add an extra 300-500, and sometimes I dare say 1000 calories to what you're really getting. Like seriously, when I get ice cream I tend to get a bit extra depending on what girl is behind the counter that day.

Drink water, lots of water.

7-8 hours of sleep otherwise your body is pumping all of that cortisol in you which may inhibit your progress.
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
chupachan

Insanity works. I didn't follow the recommended program, I just started doing the videos I liked 5-6 days a week (I do Max Interval Circuit, Max Interval Plyo, Max Cardio Conditioning, Max Interval Sports). I never even looked at the suggested nutrition plan, because I a have a lot of dietary restrictions, and I'm a pretty healthy eater most of the time. I started doing this in October, and I like it so much I still do it. I have much better muscle definition than I had doing the cardio and strength training I had done previously. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but it's definitely for me, and it could be for you as well. Plus, I get tons of compliments on my physique now, which is always nice haha. I would also recommend checking out this thread http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=301136 and good luck!
chupachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
Drazhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupachan View Post
Insanity works. I didn't follow the recommended program, I just started doing the videos I liked 5-6 days a week (I do Max Interval Circuit, Max Interval Plyo, Max Cardio Conditioning, Max Interval Sports). I never even looked at the suggested nutrition plan, because I a have a lot of dietary restrictions, and I'm a pretty healthy eater most of the time. I started doing this in October, and I like it so much I still do it. I have much better muscle definition than I had doing the cardio and strength training I had done previously. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but it's definitely for me, and it could be for you as well. Plus, I get tons of compliments on my physique now, which is always nice haha. I would also recommend checking out this thread http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=301136 and good luck!

Yeah... new year, new round. I'm starting right after Ohayocon probably since I won't be able to con AND Insanity at the same time.
Drazhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
tommyish

I've tried both! And i prefer both of them rather than going outside and running in cold weather.
-Hip hop abs is more fun but less intense. It feels like your just dancing, and if you're not ready to commit to hardcore workouts, i'd start off with it. Compared to insanity, it's a lot easier, but cardio nonetheless.
-Insanity is insane, especially if you give it all you got. It took me only 2 weeks to lose 5 pounds. They have a set schedule but i'm not sure how anyone follows it. I'd just start off maybe doing it 4 times a week and work your way up.
Either way, both are good but the weight loss really depends on how many times you do it during the week and if you're faithful in cutting back on unnecessary calories.
It's a new year & so I hope you keep us updated on your progress. Good luck!
tommyish is offline   Reply With Quote