Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > United Kingdom

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Raven-Sama
For The Horde!

UK Hetalia Cosplayers

Hello! I feel a bit out of place posting here, but here's my story. I'm Raven. I'm a 28 year old cosplayer from British Columbia, Canada. Now you're probably wondering why I'm posting here in the UK forums. Well, simply put, I am planning to travel to the UK in June/July (Most likely will be sticking around London) for about a Month, and I was thinking of checking out a Convention while I was there as I think it would be a good opportunity to meet some new people and make connections in other parts of the world!
Anyway, I'm a pretty big Hetalia fan, and I was thinking of bringing my Canada cosplay with me to the UK, so I was just wondering if there are any Hetalia cosplayers that might be interested in becoming friends and possibly meeting up for photos or something if at all possible while I'm over there.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. And I look forward to getting to know anyone who might be interested!
Raven-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
Julesie

It'd depend where about in England you are going. =)

If you want to hang out at at convention you are always welcome to hang out with myself. I also cosplay Canada and England. (I've seen your stuff on da in the mapletea club)

I can't think of any cons that are going on in June/July... MCM is in May but there may well be.

There's some hetalia english groups who meet up for casual meets in London, too.
http://mcm-hetalia-people.deviantart.com/

Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
Julesie

Just found this con you may be able to go to.

http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/

http://mcm-hetalia-people.deviantart...Year-343953429

And if you look at July there are some meetups.
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Raven-Sama
For The Horde!

I'll be staying in Surrey with a Friend more than likely (She's not a cosplayer though), so I'll be somewhat near the London area (She said that she lived about a 45 minute train ride from Central London) ... At any rate, I will definitely be in the London area!

And thank you for the offer! I appreciate it! It would be awesome to hang out with you ^_^ ... I always enjoy meeting new people, and it's especially fun to meet people who live in other countries!
Another Canada and England cosplayer? That's awesome! Great minds think alike maybe? (I'm an unabashed MapleTea fan so I'm not really surprised if you've seen my silly art in the MapleTea Club on dA ... I've submitted quite a lot XD;;; )

I've heard about the London Film and Comic Con... definitely interested in checking that out! I'm not sure on the exact dates that I'll be over there, it's starting to look like May/June now though ... but could be June/July. Even if there is no Convention to attend while I am there, I would love to check out the meet ups! (in all my shy awkward Canadian glory .... XD;; )

Thank you for the links! ^__^

England/Arthur Kirkland from Hetalia (American Revolution, Default, Casual, Pirate)
Canada/Matthew Williams from Hetalia (Default Parka, Casual, World Conference)
Heero Yuy from Gundam Wing (Endless Waltz)
Hyuuga Hinata from Naruto (Shippuuden)
Umino Iruka from Naruto
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Raven-Sama
For The Horde!

And then I realized that MCM London Expo is at the end of May ... so if I come in May, I definitely want to check that out! That would be amazing!

England/Arthur Kirkland from Hetalia (American Revolution, Default, Casual, Pirate)
Umino Iruka from Naruto
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
Julesie

Ohh in Surrey? That's where my cosplay partner actually lives. She's my female Canada and I'm the male Canada.

You are welcome. I'm very shy but once I get comfortable talking to someone I'm usually pretty confident when in my cosplay. Yep! I cosplay as Police and Military England and the winter coat (Not sure the name?) Canada. I'm also working on KugelMugel at the moment so I may be wearing that to MCM.

I'm a huge mapletea fan, the two are adorable. <3 I'm envious of your skills in drawing them. XD One day I'll submit some eventually. Just trying to learn anatomy better first.

Yep end of May! Quite close the cons are really haha. I've never been to LFCC so it will be my first time. We can be newbies together to it. I'm sure people will love your Canada being a real Canadian.
Unread 01-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Raven-Sama
For The Horde!

Oh really?! That's pretty awesome! ^__^ And kind of makes me think that it really is a small world sometimes!

On a random note, part of the reason I'm travelling to the UK in the first place is because I'm looking into going to school there.doing Archaeology there ... It's my dream to do Archaeology in the UK and Northern Europe. I want to see about doing my Master degree over there!

Oh, don;t worry! I'm actually really shy at first too ... but once you get me talking ... XD;;; ... well, I'm not that bad, but I come out of my shell quite a bit once I'm comfortable, but even so, I completely understand! And that is awesome! I've done Pirate!England myself, and of course the default military outfit, and casual (sweater vest included) ... I will be doing his American Revolution outfit for a Convention that is here in BC in the Summer. I'm also working on the Parka for Canada as well (Your Canada is super cute from what I saw on dA!) ... When I come to the UK, I'll just be bringing my Casual Canada since it's easy to pack (and I have to pack a months worth of clothing so I don't want to bring anything too fancy) although I may bring Casual England as well ... although can I say that I would feel extremely awkward cosplaying England ... in England? XD... especially since I have a Canadian accent (although I do say Bloody a lot ... XD ... but that doesn't count)

MapleTea is my OTP! I love that pairing so, so much! It's so cute and wonderful! LOL ... and thank you for the compliment about my art ... I'd love to see some of your drawings though!

Sounds like fun! Either way, I'll be there for MCM or LFCC .... My goal is to add an overseas convention to my list of conventions attended!! And yay! We can be newbies together! LOL
It's funny actually, I was at Anime Expo in Los Angeles, and I cosplayed Canada on Canada Day since the con fell during that time ... and so many people were so excited about the fact that I was an actual Canadian cosplaying Canada. It was kind of awesome! LOL

Umino Iruka from Naruto
Unread 01-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Julesie

Haha yeah it is. I'm not from there though. I'm fifty minutes North of London but its about 20minutes or so by train.

Oh wow really? That's a pretty damn cool job to work for. Good luck with that.

Yeah I can talk for England once I feel confident around someone but otherwise I'm extremely shy and quiet. xD; My therapist was shocked at just how much I can talk considering I have social anxiety. ^^; Thats why I like doing Canada though. I am often quiet at cons and I just look like I'm IC.
I know how you feel about cosplaying the character when in that country haha. I don't think I could do Canada in Canada. I'd feel odd xD;

My OTP is actually Germany/Prussia but I love England and Canada. Canada and Germany being my favourite characters and England thirdly.

Haha! When I was in America I was cosplaying Canada in Phoenix ComicCon. It was funny as some American's called me over excited over my outfit then they heard me speak and suddenly I was swarmed because I was English. They asked me to say many words, I got extremely shy and hid my face in my bear which they all thought was adorable. xD;;
Unread 01-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #9
Raven-Sama
For The Horde!

Ah ... the trains over there must be quite fast. I live on an island (Vancouver Island) and the only train we have here is a really slow day liner ...

Thank you. I hope I can find some success in doing it! I'm especially interested in Scotland because a good portion of my family is there, and I'd love to learn more about the way my ancestors might have lived (My last name is Dunbar, is that says anything of my ancestry LOL )

I completely understand what you mean! (I suffer from depression myself, which is part of the reason I keep to myself a lot. Scared of being judged by people!)
Yeah, although, that really shouldn't stop either of us if we're in another country ... if people laugh at me, I'll just laugh with them! XD

Ah, well that is cool! After MapleTea, I like USCan, and FrUK (I'm afraid to say that I despise USUK though... I like them better as just Brothers/Frenemies... they are more amusing that way... but yes) ... England and Canada are tied for my favourites, and then my second Favourite is actually Romano. He just amuses the hell out of me! Such an angry little man!
Germany/Prussia is cool though ^__^

Oh dear! You poor soul, getting swarmed like that! Americans can be ... overzealous at times. I've had a few of them make comments about my "Canadian accent" ... I'm like "Dude, I sound pretty much the same as you." ... Well, I do notice some differences but yes... I imagine with your accent though, people really were all over you (I hope this won't seem offensive at all, but I'm a sucker for British Accents myself ... You guys just have such damn sexy accents lol ... where I live we have a lot of retired folks who moved here from various parts of the UK and I just love hearing them talk ... but don;t worry. If we meet I won't force you to say stuff, although I may ask a couple questions as to what certain things mean since some of the slang is different, obviously. That being said, you're welcome to ask me about Canadian slang if I say anything you've never heard before!)
I can see why they would think that was adorable though! It's rather in character after all!

Umino Iruka from Naruto
Unread 01-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
Julesie

Yeah they are quite fast as people have to get in and out of London for work a lot.

Ohh you have Scottish ancestry too? My last name is Gibson which is also Scottish though my grandad's father was Irish so I'm just missing Welsh from being all pure British. XD

Scared of being judged is my biggest fear too. That's one reason I'm so OCD when it comes to cosplaying. I don't want to get it wrong and then be on one of those cosplay sites that take the mick out of you for looking bad.

I like all those three as well. I like adult USUK though I am not a huge fan of it. I prefer America with Lithuania or Canada.

Ohh I love Romano too! He's probably my forth favourite! I'm a huge fan of him with Germany <3 (Don't like Gerita)

Yeah I was swarmed, my poor best friend who is American, from AZ and the reason I was visiting, was shoved aside so she stood by the wall and pretended to talk on the phone. I thought she really WAS on the phone so I was waiting for her to end the call and then I felt so guilty after ;.; But yeah I didn't mind they were happy to meet me and hear my accent, I'm just naturally shy so I started to get shy in front of them. xD;;

Ohh I'll definitely help you with slang and I'd love to hear some of yours when we meet too. I love Canada! I was looking at houses in Canada the other day wishing I could live there or America (but I don't like America's healthcare which is the reason I wouldn't move there).
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #11
Raven-Sama
For The Horde!

That makes sense then I suppose!

Haha, yep! On my dad's side. My grandpa was born in Aberdeenshire (I think that's what it was called) and then his family came to Canada when he was three. My great Aunt Jessie stayed in Scotland so I know I have some distant relative there somewhere, although I have no idea who they are. The other parts of my Ancestry are Manx, Swedish, English, and Kwakiutl (a Local First Nations Group... I'm only about 1/16th though )

I know how you feel. I worry about that sometimes too... especially since I'm also not the skinniest person in the world either ... but I tend to avoid those kinds of sites for that very reason. I am a very strong advocate against Body Shaming and Cosplay Elitism, because in the end it should be about having fun, regardless of your size, shape, abilities, or skin tone!

USUK just ... bothers me because it's so bloody popular ... I think it's way overhyped and doesn't quite deserve the popularity it receives ... but that's just personal opinion. I'm not one to force my opinions on others!

Oh, that's cool! Romano really is amusing! He's great! Him with Germany, hey? That's cool! I like to pair him with Canada sometimes because it's just amusing.

Aw, well, I hope your best friend was okay though. But it's not like you could help what happened to you! My best friend lives in the US as well, but she lived here in Canada first. Her husband is American so she moved down there to be with him. I miss her so much sometimes though! But I go visit her when I can... although, it can be pricey flying to LA sometimes, and I'm a poor University student! XD;;

Oh, that would be awesome! And I would love to share some of mine as well! LOL ... for example, Salt Chuck ... is a word for the the ocean ... and we sometimes call Seagulls "shit hawks" ... XD;;
Aw, well maybe one day you'll be able to come to Canada and visit or live here! It's really an awesome place to live. I love it here ... but I really want to go out and see the world, and the UK has been my number one destination for ages, so I'm super excited that I will have the opportunity to visit there this year!

LOL We're chatting so much! You wouldn't happen to have Skype, AIM, MSN, or Facebook! You're welcome to add me on any of those if you'd like to keep in touch!

Umino Iruka from Naruto
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #12
Julesie

Oh thats awesome. No idea about myself, my nan refuses to talk about her roots for some reason so I'm clueless. Kwakiutl that sounds interesting. How cool. xD

I'm pretty skinny, I never realised until I saw myself as Police England in a video this past year and was shocked just how tiny I was. I'm size 6 or 4 I think in American sizes. I need to put on weight but I don't want to because my cosplays won't fit! XD; I agree about the elitism though, my first time cosplaying Canada I felt so alone as no one would talk to me. Later found out some people thought I was so good and I think they must have been intimidated to talk to me in case I was an elitist? But it was my first convention.... I thought I must have been crap at cosplaying as no one liked me.

Eh I feel the way you feel about USUK with two other pairings, GERITA being one. I just do not get the pairing at all. It doesn't work imo. Only friendship.

Aww Romano and Canada is my fem Canada's favourite pairing! She loves the two together! You'd get on well with her then.

She's okay, she just felt like her costume was so bad and mine was so popular that she didn't want to cosplay after and I felt so guilty. x.x She was cosplaying Sweden that we made a few days before the con.

LOL shithawks. I hate seagulls. :K Evil things! When my friend visited, the one from AZ, I took her to get ice cream as I really wanted her to try cornish ice cream. She bought it and just as she was raising it to her mouth, a gull swooped down, shoved it out of her hands and ate it. She never got to try it.

I have skype and MSN and facebook. Julesie no on facebook and I'll give you my msn and skype on there instead of a public forum. xD
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #13
Raven-Sama
For The Horde!

I kind of forced it out of my family in some case because I find it interesting to know who my ancestors were ... but we've also been pretty open about it anyway. Maybe your Nan just has some things about it she'd rather not discuss. I know my one Nana never really talked much about our Native ancestry ... but then again, she was around during the time when the Residential schools were going really strong and the First Nations people were forced to assimilate into European Canadian Culture... so she probably doesn't have fond memories of growing up in such a time.

There's nothing wrong with being skinny though. You're lucky in a lot of ways because it's probably easy for you to find cosplays that fit well! ... I'm not really fat or anything myself, but I am chubby... or skookum (a word we use for sturdy here) so it can still be a bit frustrating at times ... and I've had a few people say some rude things to me about my cosplays but whatever, they're just assholes in my books anyway! And as for elitists... they make it difficult sometimes too ... and I think that some people might have thought I was one when I did my pirate!England cosplay because my Best Friend made my Costumes, and it looks very fancy and professional but then again, she is a costume designer ... so maybe people thought I was an elitist because of that ... because they weren't talking to me much when I wore that costume, and my sister overheard some cosplayers even complaining that "some pirates were stealing all the attention" when photos were being taken ... because aside from myself, a friend, and my ex-girlfriend were also doing fancy costumes. My ex was Pirate!Spain and my friend was War of Austrian Succession Prussia. We were trying to hog the spot light at all though.

GerIta doesn't bother me, but I don't really pay attention to it in general ... XD... I try to ignore the pairings I don't care about! XD;;

Haha, sounds like your friend and I would get along well then LOL

Aw, well I'm glad she was okay! And you know, from the picture I saw of you guys, I thought her costume looked really good. People can just be jerks sometimes... but you shouldn't have felt guilty. The other people should have felt guilty for ignoring her! Some people's children!

LOL I caught a Seagull once ... it tried to peck me but grabbed my watch instead... didn't hurt the watch though. It was stuck and I was trying to rescue it... silly bastard! XD ... But I am so sorry your friend didn't get to enjoy her ice cream! That sucks! Seagulls really can be evil!

Ah! Okay! Cool! I will add you on Facebook then, and we can exchange further information there! ... I'm Raven Michelle Dunbar on Facebook! Just so you know who is adding you!

Umino Iruka from Naruto
Unread 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
Julesie

Well I know my nan was adopted so I'm sure she doesn't want to talk about her real ancestry but I'm still so curious as to what it was. I could be anything! I'd love to know! We've tried to do the family tree many times but she refuses to tell us so we give up.

Ehh its not as easy as you think, in England the average size of people is 12-14. I can't buy any clothes that are size 6 and 8 I am lucky to find. Most of the clothes I wear is size 10 just because its all I can buy unless I'm willing to buy from the super expensive shops that have tiny sizes but theres no way I'm paying like £60 for a pair of trousers when I can get basically identical for £10 just in size 10. xD;
You don't look chubby to me. All the pictures I've seen you in you look average size. Maybe its just America/Canada compared to England as we aren't really into the whole size zero here but rather be healthy and wear proper clothing to fit your size.
Ahh yes Pirate England. It's an awesome costume. My friend forced me to wear hers at my first con, I never stepped out of our hallway with our hotel though as I was too shy to step out in it. I didn't want attention back then with cosplay as it was my first time and I was just so nervous. I wished I could try the outfit on again now though but me and her no longer speak. No idea why.

Gerita doesn't bother me per sei, I just don't get it. XD The only pairing that bothers me is Russia and America. I cannot abide that pairing. ^^;

Yeah you totally would! Good thing is, me and her are 23 and 24 so all three of us are close age, you also being in your twenties.

Yeah she was so self conscious wearing the costume in the first place and cosplaying in general, but I thought she looked awesome so I just felt so bad over that happening. I didn't want it to put her of cosplaying.

Oh wow! Silly gull! XD I'd have been scared to catch the thing but what can you do if its stuck.

Accepted you! ^_^
Unread 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
Raven-Sama
For The Horde!

Ah, I see ... well, who knows. She may come around someday ... or maybe she just doesn't really know much about it herself since she was adopted.

In American sizes I'm a 10-12 (But I'm also only 5'2" X__X;; ) . I never realized it was like that over there though. That must be a bit frustrating though, but I do understand the feeling. Over here it's opposite... all the sizes seem really small. I was out shopping with friends the other day and I saw a couple pairs of Jeans that were size 00 ... They were very small in the waist. People over here seem to be obsessed with being really thin. It's kind of annoying.
Ah, I saw the pictures on your dA of you in the Pirate England cosplay! It did look awesome though! It's too bad you were too shy to wear it out! But maybe you can do it again sometime! Although from the sounds of it, you may have to look into getting your own. I'm sorry to hear that you and that friend don't speak any more though! I know how that is. The same thing has happened with myself and a couple of my friends as well.

Ah, I understand! And yeah, America/Russia doesn't make too much sense. They have had some really bad history with each other. There is certainly no love lost between them.

That's cool! My sister is 24 actually, so it's all good! My ex-girlfriend is 20, so I mean, age isn't a big deal to me when it comes to hanging out with people! (I do tend to avoid teenagers though... I just don't have the patience to deal with them sometimes) but I must say, it is nice to hang out with people closer to my age!

Aw, that kind of sucks. But I hope she didn't let that experience stop her!

They are quite silly. I wasn't scared of it at all though. When it comes to animals, I tend to have little fear. Heck, there was a Black Bear just outside my bedroom window a few winters back and I just opened the window and basically told it to scram and it ran away, because I think I scared/surprised it LOL

Yay! Awesome!

Umino Iruka from Naruto