Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Asphyxial
kitten with claws

Ninja Shoes Help!

Hello! I need some help in finding some Naruto ninja shoes for my boyfriend's cosplay. He's going to be cosplaying as Gaara from Naruto and we're having no luck finding a pair of black ninja shoes in his size. The shoes definitely need to be black and my boyfriend's shoe size is a US size 13, but he can wear a size 12 too. I've looked all over ebay, amazon, hellocosplay, etc, but haven't found one that works, or in our price range. Can anyone give any good websites that might have his size? Or perhaps even a really good tutorial on how to make your own ninja shoes?
Asphyxial is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

They're pretty easy to make; back when I cosplayed Naruto, i made my ninja sandals this way; they're not quite perfect compared to heavy-duty sewn ones, but they work well and are quite cheap (here's the ones for my Sai cosplay, though I never took any of the sandals themselves- http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1570904/ and though the colours didn't match right, my first pair for my first cosplay... http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1519583/ )

1- Get a pair of fairly cheap, foam-soled flip flops that match your foot size and the colour you're going for. I bought laguna brand ones from Walmart, but I dunno if they come in men's sizes.
2- Get a pair of decently-stretchy socks in said colour; snip off the toe and heel, then slice open the bottom of the foot to essentially make it only held on by the ankle.
3- Stretch those open sides over each side of the flip-flop, and with a strong needle (and a thimble! You'll need one) stitch into place. I add some superglue as well to hold it on better. You're essentially sewing on a diagonal angle through the sole.
4- Take some good-quality felt, cut into bands (straight across for the toes, on a u-shape for the heel) and stitch in place over the edges of the socks and to the soles, to both hold it to the sandal better and hide the rough edges. The felt does stretch over time, but it's easy to tuck and add a few stitches to tighten again or replace altogether. You could probably use another non-fraying fabric, but I've always used felt so I can't offer suggestions there. An added bonus of it being flip-flops, is they're far easier to walk in than completely open ones. Hope that helps!
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Asphyxial
kitten with claws

Thank you for the quick reply and sorry for my late one! This sounds relatively easy and cost effective for us. I think I'll give it a go once we get all the necessary items to build it! This certainly does help because I haven't found any other way to buy ninja shoes, or to make them that would be comfortable or last for too long. This definitely helps! :3
Asphyxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
heaven_firings

I used this method, narutosandaltutorial.

It's more work but I really like how they came out in the end. Here's my Kiba cosplay if you wanted to see some shot of my end result. They're actually really comfy, probably some of my comfiest cosplay shoes that aren't real/regular shoes that I wear.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote