Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Sport_Shop
Optimistic Optimist

Question Too young to cosplay?

Well, I'm 13 and I really wanted to go cosplay at Anime Expo. However, it seems like you have to be 16-19 to be all weird and have fun. So, how young is too young to cosplay at AX and is it also okay for an 11 year old because my sister wants to cosplay too.
Sport_Shop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

I'm reading through the rules and I'm afraid I don't see anywhere where they say no cosplaying. Nor does there appear to be an age limit like I first thought with this post about attending the con. It does mention you need to be with an adult for a ticket and such when under 18. As for your question, there is no convention (that I know of) where you need to be 16+ to cosplay, otherwise we'd have a problem as you can't check every cosplayers ID to see if they're old enough to be wearing their costume. It's actually funny to me to hear "too young" to cosplay since people do dress their infants for events like cons or even Halloween (That is considered cosplay as well, of course don't tell everyone during Halloween it's cosplay since they could just be wearing it for the candy.)

Conventions generally only will put up a age limit for the con itself, not cosplay. They put the age limit as a warning label to tell you "Sorry, but this convention is reserved for older more mature audiences." One con I know that does that, is Yaoi-con but you can probably guess why for the name.

If you don't want to read the long, poorly phrased answer the short answer: Infant. That is the youngest you can cosplay. Props if you can go younger ^^. Either way, you two are allowed to cosplay, unless the venue says they want older con goers.
SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Go for it. There's no age limits in cosplay. Ignore anyone who says you're too young. If you love it, do it.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

You can be any age to cosplay! I would personally check the cons rules for an age limit though. Some cons require that your parents be with you if you are under a certain age.
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Most conventions have an age limit where you have to be with a parent or guardian, which most of the time is up to 16 years old. I never been to AX but I know it is a huge convention, so you will have to be with an adult

But as far as cosplay goes there is no age limit at all! I've seem small children cosplay and even babies. I think you find that most people are older in the community as we can all afford to invest money into this hobby.

So can you be too young, never! You and your sister can go ahead and cosplay!

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

No age limit in cosplay! Go for it! I started cosplaying at 14yrs old but I wish I started earlier
Unread 01-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

You can be any age to cosplay! my first cosplay was when I went to Comic-Con and i was 12 or 13. i hope to see you at AX! I go there mostly every year now eversince i got into anime.
Unread 01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Certain Cons have age limits (due to content being inappropriate for children) but there shouldn't any limit on age for cosplaying. You might have read or misunderstood the rules.

Double check by sending an E-mail to the Convention if you're really worried. A good rule of thumb is to get the information from the source and not from hear-say. :P
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
crosschord
It's that girl

I've been going to AX for years, and I see kids cosplaying there all the time. I'm pretty sure you need an adult with you if you're under a certain age, but there's no age limit on cosplaying.

Upcoming Conventions!
Anime California - August 2014
Comikaze - November 2014 (Will be there for one day)
Pacific Media Expo - November 2014 (Maybe, still deciding)
Anime Los Angeles - January 2015
Fanime - May 2015

Upcoming Cosplays!
CC - Code Geass
Yukari (Fashion Show Dress) - Paradise Kiss
Yuuko (Bustle Dress) - xxxHolic
Asami - Legend of Korra (Maybe)
crosschord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Libis

I've seen infants cosplaying. You should be ok, just bring a parent or guardian.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

There is no age limit to cosplay. No matter how young or old you are, you can cosplay. Although, people under 18 should probably stay away from sexy costumes.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
Emrys

Many people START cosplaying when they are teenagers when they have means to attend conventions on their own and have some money to start a new hobby. They're also more likely to be the most active on forums like this which can make the cosplay scene seem like it's all one age bracket.

Also anyone younger would not have a web presence on sites like this. Following minority protection laws, you cannot register here if you are under 13. "We do not allow anyone under the age of 13 to register for an account." http://www.cosplay.com/info/privacy/

That doesn't mean there aren't younger cosplayers out there or that your friends wouldn't be interested, but there is generally no web presence for that age bracket.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
hello-pear

There's no age limit for cosplaying! I started cosplaying when I was 10 (I had an eBay and a PayPal and everything woops) you don't need to be a certain age to have fun, and if there was one, I'd say it would be 13.
hello-pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

Upon reading nothing except the title, I say no such thing as too young!
And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #15
JustACostume

I'm around the same age and have had my first costume since I was 11, there is no age for cosplaying, however show the costume you want to do to a parent before hand and bring a parent to the convention. As long as your parents approve you should have no problem.
JustACostume is offline   Reply With Quote