Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Dramakana26
POCKYTHEIF

Cat Tail Help!

So I was going to make a cat tail. and I was thinking of making it like how those wooden snake toys work,

example of wooden snake toy.

but the problem is I dunno how to go about making the inner skeleton for the tail, can anyone help me by explaining what materials and stuff i'd need and how i'd go about making the skeleton or give me diagrams or soemthing?

I'm not into using actual animatronics, because that is beyond my capabilities right now OTL.
so i'll stick with a narutal sway that the skeleton will (i assume) will create.

Thanks in advance!

Facebook
Dramakana26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

If you're trying to mimic the snake effect, why not mimic the materials used by the snake? Cylinders of lightweight wood, such as pine, balsa, or basswood. With a strip of leather or rubber running up the core. Each cylinder is adhered to the strip directly, with a little space between each, This lets the body flex, instead of them all stacking up together at the bottom.

The snakes use a rather thick strip so that it only flexes in 1 dimension. I expect, if making a cat tail, you'd want a thinner strip, so that it flexes more readily in 2 dimensions. But it's up to you. Do small-scale tests to see what you like.

If the result is too heavy, you can lighten it by drilling holes parallel to the strip through each cylinder.