Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
Tofu Delivery

prop screws

I'm trying to make screws like Kumagawa from Medaka box:

http://postimage.org/image/skk08bhf7/

http://postimage.org/image/4g8pgn3m9/

Someone suggested using balsa with fiberglass coating but my questions are:

-How would I go about doing this? This is my first time making a prop ever. I could not find a tutorial via google about this or where do I even start?

-I'm trying to make two different kinds: a slotted pan screw head as well as two lag bolt screw. Its going to be three in total. Picture one shows exactly the two types I'm trying to make and picture two shows the size proportions.

-The price is open end as long as it doesn't cost 300+ dollars to make.
Tofu Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
astillar
Cosplay Engineer

I think the simplest way to make them would be to shape them out of extruded polystyrene. It'll take some carving and sanding, but it'll be very low-cost. Once you've got the screws shaped the way you live, just coat with gesso, plasti-dip, or even styro-spray (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6XoGn-N-Gjg) to get a solid surface.

astillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Tofu Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by astillar View Post
I think the simplest way to make them would be to shape them out of extruded polystyrene. It'll take some carving and sanding, but it'll be very low-cost. Once you've got the screws shaped the way you live, just coat with gesso, plasti-dip, or even styro-spray (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6XoGn-N-Gjg) to get a solid surface.
Do you have a tutorial on how to shape extruded polystyrene or a suggestion to find a link in the right direction? The only issue I might have is the spin around like texture from the screws.

Also what price range am I looking for?

Thanks for the information so far.
Unread 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

with polysterene itll be around 50 depending on if you mess up. another option is spray insulation foam which is the same idea as the previous posting but you only buy a can. bad thing is that u have to let it set before you can carve it. (takes a dayish depending on size and humidity). there are some great tutorials by kaumi cosplay but also check out cosplaytutorial.com as they have some carving tutorials too
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Tofu Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
with polysterene itll be around 50 depending on if you mess up. another option is spray insulation foam which is the same idea as the previous posting but you only buy a can. bad thing is that u have to let it set before you can carve it. (takes a dayish depending on size and humidity). there are some great tutorials by kaumi cosplay but also check out cosplaytutorial.com as they have some carving tutorials too
Would it be like around 50 for all three screws or 50 dollars each? I'm trying to figure out the price so I can fit in it convention fees.

So I just go on cosplaytutorial.com and search up carving tutorials then?
Unread 01-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

prob only 50 for all 3....
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Tofu Delivery

Ok I found this http://calamityjade.deviantart.com/a...rial-254949882

From this: http://cosplaytutorial.com/list.php

My only problem is that how would I use that into a shape like this?

I'm trying to make a 3D plane (close to a cylinder(?)) and I couldn't find anything that was similar to that (mostly flat or triangle.)

Sorry if I'm asking a bunch of questions; I didn't want to get this commissioned. I wanted to personally do these myself.

Also what would be good to paint these? Spray paint grey after the fiberglass coating or plasti-dip?

Sorry if I'm asking so many questions; I'm trying to do this without messing up.

NOTE: The screw down below in the middle (second one,) I'm trying to make two of while the really long one is the third one I'm trying to make.

Last edited by Tofu Delivery : 01-13-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Unread 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Tensa Zangetsu
Eye of Fate

I'm planning on doing Kumagawa too, and I decided to go with using Great Stuff expanding foam (which you can get for about 5 bucks a can at any home improvement store) around a piece of pvc pipe. I plan on making a ring out of posterboard that will be the width of the screw shaft to use as a reference, then covering the majority of the pvc pipe with enough foam to make it a little thicker than the size I want so then I can carve off the excess and make it round. I'll do something similar for the head of the screw, making a ring and using that as a guide before covering the small amount of pvc still uncovered with more foam, then carving out the shape I want. Once I finish carving, I can fill in any big gaps with more foam, then cover it with papier mache. I am still working out how to make the threads, but I will be sure to let you know what I come up with and how well this method ends up working for me! Hope all that made sense!

Planned Cosplays
Anime Weekend Atlanta
Booker DeWitt - Bioshock Infinite
Minato Namikaze - Naruto
Rand al'Thor - The Wheel of Time

Tensa Zangetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
oddlyaquatic

This is a different direction than the other suggestions, but how I make my 3-d props is taking a newspaper or tin foil base-news paper is lighter, but tin foil is easier to shape, depends on what your making-and then covering that with paperclay, which can be found at craft stores like hobby lobby. Sand the paperclay, and paint it and you're good to go!
oddlyaquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

The way I'd do it is kinda like building a house.

I'd stick with his hex screws because they're the most easiest to build. First, using foamcore or even cardboard, I'd make the hexagon top using a tick tack toe structure to hold up the walls forming a hexagon with cardboard lining the bottom. Once all of it standing, I'd fill the center of the hex with "great stuff" and let it set. By doing this, it'll be rigid enough to take the beating of your time at a con and it'll still feel light well into exhaustion. You can carve out the edges if you like to give it the more authentic real bolt look to it.

Next, you'll need a cylinder, preferably white paper, to fill with great stuff to act as the shaft. Fill the center of the cylinder with great stuff and let it set. After it sets, use a box cutter or even butter knife to make a place where you'll be putting the threading of the screws. After doing that, use card stock to act as the thread of the screw.

If you want you can also repeat using a cone for the edge by filling it with great stuff.

Insert tooth picks where you want each of the pieces attached then set them together using caulking, probably acrylic.

Once that is all done, spray paint it with primer THEN metallic silver.

Viola.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?

Last edited by DarkCloudInc : 01-15-2013 at 12:41 PM.
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
Tofu Delivery

Ok I decided to try two methods: For the "Bookmaker," Screw I'm going to use Poly and for the "All fiction," screw I'm going to either use the tin foil method or the pipe method.

I might make April fiction but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Thank you so much everyone; you have all my love.

Last edited by Tofu Delivery : 01-22-2013 at 08:43 PM.