Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 01-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

Trauma Center Cosplay Help (crest/symbol)

Hello there. So I wanted to do a Derek Stiles from Trauma Center cosplay, but seem to be having trouble. I tried looking around on here for tutorials, but didn't really see any as there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of TC cosplays.

I am mainly having a hard time making the top. I don't really know how to really go about it. I tried altering my akatsuki cloak pattern, but the front is a bit different and I having trouble making my own patterns and them right (it really isn't the best pattern for the top, but I can't really find any patterns I can use). I was wondering if there are better, more accurate ways to make the top?

Another problem is the crest and thing on the sleeve. I am not sure how to make it. I don't know how to embroider and don't know where to start. Does anyone have tips for making emblems/crests/symbols for cosplays? Especially complex ones?

Tips for the belt would be nice too.

Here are some references-
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...erekStiles.png
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ctorNiguel.png

The first character is Derek Stiles, the second is another character, but gives a better view of the top, including the side pockets.

The symbol (the best I can find online that shows all the details)
http://chibiedo.deviantart.com/art/T...-res-131765156

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit-I just realized that I should of posted this in the general construction forum, but not sure if I can delete this or move it. Sorry. ^^;

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra

Last edited by chibi_kitsune : 01-10-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Posting links as attachment didn't work
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

You can hire out a patch maker to make the patch for you (if I remember correctly, someone on the forum does them). If that's not in your budget, I'd make an iron-transfer and call it a day unless you're willing to spend a ton of hours embroidering.

Try using a Cheongsam pattern as a base pattern for the top. You'll need to frankenstein in some sleeves from another pattern and tweak the neck, but I think it could work.

You could also try the Simplicity 5386 A view (Matrix coat) and add in the second seam and change the sleeves, and coat length.
Unread 01-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

I think I still might have a pattern for a Cheongsam, I made a dress before. That might.
work. I'll check out that simplicity pattern as well.

The patch is going to be difficult as I don't have a embroidery machine and not sure I can do a iron transfer (unless I can use a regular printer, I will have to check into that). If I can use my printer and iron on transfer paper, that might be my only option as I am not sure I can afford to hire anyone.

Thanks for the tips!

Edit-
Some on on DA have tips for the crest. They printed it out and drew it on fabric (I would probably transfer it on if I can) and embroidered it afterwards and showed us how to embroider it.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra

Last edited by chibi_kitsune : 01-09-2013 at 06:02 PM.
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote