Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 01-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Mae Bliss

Altering a corset?

I have a steel-boned underbust corset that I really like, except that the fit isn't quite right, it's a little too long for my torso. This makes it look pretty weird with certain bras. So I was thinking, I could just remove the seam binding on the top edge of the corset, hack off an inch of height all the way around, then sew it back together, and it would fit perfect! It seems simple enough in my head, but I'm kind of nervous to try it. The corset wasn't terribly expensive (~$50) so if I ruined it I wouldn't be heart-broken, but I'd rather not have to buy a replacement. Has anyone else ever attempted corset surgery? Would you recommend it?
Mae Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Essentially what you are saying is what you should do. But you will need new bones for the corset since yours will now be too long. And you will also have to make sure you have enough room over the grommets to replace the seam binding once you have it cut down to size. I would only recommend you do this if you have some decent sewing experience since this is an alteration you can't put back to the original way once it's all done. If you take your time, get the right bones to replace the old ones (and that can get a little expensive), and make sure everything is just right before you cut, you should be okay.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

You might consider taking it off the bottom, where your alterations will be less noticeable than if you took it off the top.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote