Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
Tigersoul

Question Don't Cosplay from an ended/ending series! (thoughts/reactions)

This is an interesting argument I got into with someone recently and I wanted to get the forum's thoughts on it...

I'm planning to do a Rainbow Dash Cosplay for Dragon*con, and a lot of fans of the series are speculating that this is the final season (though no official word from the company). I had someone tell me that I should cancel the cosplay because "The series will be over" I obviously pulled out how much I loved the character and that probably the vast majority of cosplays are from series that have ended (some having been ended for close to half a century!) but they were never convinced...

While this is a specific example I'm curious how any of you would react to a person who says to you "you shouldn't do this cosplay because the series is gonna end before the con" What would YOU say, Cosplay.com?

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #2
Blood_Sword
The samuraiholic guy

Just... what the hell. Seriously.

So many anime/manga series have ended and people still love them.. it seems ridiculous to me to say that you can't cosplay from a series just because it has finished or it will end soon. It makes no sense either because everything will end someday, even those series that are currently ongoing and have been so for years. It would be like killing the hobby althogether because no series will last forever. Heck, and variation is gold. I like to see both new and older series cosplayed.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Oulun animeseminaari (8-9 August 2014)
FRI Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SAT ???
Blood_Sword is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:15 AM   #3
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

I'm also confused on this concept, as most of the series I love are already over. I also don't think anyone at a convention is going to pull you over to yell at you for "disgracing" fans with a character they'll never see in another "new" episode again. So really, don't listen to them and do it since you want to cosplay the character and you worked hard.
-Mega-con 2015
-Metro-con 2015

Cosplay List:
-Loftwing (Skyward Sword)
-Postman (Gentlemen's Alliance Cross)
-Joker (Black Butler)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

I'm not finding any logic or reason behind saying what that person said. Honestly...just, what? I don't even really know how to respond...because honestly, I see no reason why I would even try to justify myself if someone responded that way. I would probably laugh and walk away. That's the best I've got.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

That's pretty dumb. :Says the person who just made a cosplay of a character whose manga series ended in 1996:

In all honesty, current running series are always going to get cosplayed more but there's absolutely no reason people shouldn't cosplay something older.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)

Last edited by Shana05 : 01-10-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
TenTigerLilies
Phuriously Khorrupt Lily

Like...what? :/

Just...no. If you were to count the cosplayers at a con, I would say that probably about half of them are wearing costumes of characters from ended series. Out of my 13 costumes, 2 of them are from ongoing series XD
*Ryoga Hibiki - Ranma 1/2
*Soul Eater Evans - Soul Eater
*Antonio Salieri - Mozart L'Opera Rock
*Rapunzel - Tangled

~Upcoming costumes:
*Miss Martian - Young Justice - 70%
*Monkey D. Luffy - One Piece - 60%
*Kotetsu T. Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny - 40%
*Ryuk - Death Note - 30%
*Toph Bei Fong - Avatar: The Last Airbender - 5%
TenTigerLilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
AnimeAndMusical

Here are a few good points to explain why I think that the idea that people shouldn't cosplay finished series a little silly. One reason is that some characters' true motives aren't revealed until the end (I'm thinking of Pandora Hearts, Black Butler and Fullmetal Alchemist to name a few) and this often changes whether a cosplayer likes the character or not. Why should a person be barred from cosplaying a character that they started liking late in the series?

Also consider all the very popular cosplays to finished series: Until recently Sailor Moon was a finished series (they are releasing a new one now, but still) and look at how many people cosplay that. That's not to mention Fullmetal Alchemist that went through that twice, Death Note and Final Fantasy VII. Also on a slightly different note people who cosplay anime that have finished but the manga hasn't (I'm specifically thinking along the lines of Black Butler, where it's pretty obvious which continuity it is in many cases).

Although, especially with very recently ended shows/games/movies you should be careful about any spoilers for those who have not finished the series yet that could be made apparent through your cosplay. That being said, that shouldn't be too big a problem with MLP.
AnimeAndMusical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
MissLunatic
Someone

This is plainly stupid. I encountered a similiar attitude lately, when some acquaintances put their KH Reborn! cosplays for sale “cause the manga has ended”. To my mind some of the greatest shows/manga are finished though. Eg. Fullmetal Alchemist, RG Veda… (Lately also cosplayed from Fruits Basket or want to cosplay from Shaman King…) And what about games anyway? Usually you pick a certain game and this is logically already ended when it is published xD. Aren’t we allowed to cosplay these games then except if there is an (at most times mediocre) sequel or prequel planned?

To my mind finished shows even carry the big opportunity that if you have read or watched the whole series you won’t encounter any bad surprises in the future. You just know what your character is like during the show. And besides in the course of very long ongoing manga as Naruto or Bleach for example (just to call some big names) the storyline sooner or later decreases… *sigh*

And do we always have to cosplay just from the newest anime/TV series/manga? … Nonsense, as already said. I love very old series as much as some very recent ones… And I only cosplay what I love and often only if I find ppl who share this love… (Which is of course often easier for the hyped brand new series…)
Only if you cosplay for fame or want to resell your cosplays badly you have to consider the series that will become mainstream very soon, so that you can be the first … Which is also nonsense…..

Sorry for my rambling, but this topic nags at me a little just cause of its stupidity…

Besides I agree with Blood_Sword: Variation is gold!

Upcoming:
Hotohori (Fushigi Yuugi)
Young Griff (A Song of Ice and Fire - A Dance with Dragons)
Superbi Squalo (KH Reborn!)
Arianne Martell (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Sharrkan (Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic)
Ryoga Hibiki (Ranma 1/2)
Rokudo Mukuro (7 Gods of Luck) (KH Reborn!)

Upgrading:
Kagari Shusei (Psycho-Pass)
Okita Souji (Hakuouki)
MissLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
Tigersoul

yeah, I agree with everyone here, crazy and kinda stupid, but I was curious if anyone else ran into it...

@ AnimeAndMuxival: Completely agree on the spoiler bit (though yeah, in my case there's no risk esp since I'm doing an outfit from S1) Although that's also imo an argument AGAINST playing ongoing series

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

.....Wait that makes no sense whatsoever. If you cosplay from a series that has ended, that is like 90% of the series out there.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook

Last edited by Tangledinblue : 01-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

I would just O_o and walk away from the dumb.
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
Amanita

Yeah, dumb is right! Not cosplaying anything from a series that's ended would eliminate most of the cosplays out there, in both Japanese and Western media. If you cosplay things just because they're popular or trendy, then it might be understandable that once a series ends, you wouldn't want it anymore. But if you're cosplaying because you love the story and character, then it really does seem silly.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
Liliana
Palamecia's Hyper Emperor

I feel terrible for laughing out loud just now... "Don't cosplay from a series that's ended!"?! That's... Pretty absurd. Internet trolls can do better than that. :P As may as well also say, "Don't watch any movie ever again that you have seen once, because it's over now." Or, "Don't read that book again because you've reached 'The End'". xP You rewatch movies and reread books and replay video games because you enjoyed them, likewise with cosplay.
Liliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Pretty much every "You can't cosplay X because I've decided Y reason is important!" argument is ignorable. This one's just dumber than most.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

*giggle*
That's pretty silly for a lot of reasons.
But it does make me wonder... Did they explain why cosplaying from an ended series is supposedly bad?
In progress:
| Cronus Ampora - 90%| Homura Akemi - 80%|
| Loki Laevatein - 60%| Nagito Komaeda - 55%|
| Seishuu Handa - 45%| Uta - 40%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is online now   Reply With Quote