Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
NiGHTmaren
...into Dreams
Modoka Magica

I've cosplayed from series that came from the 70s. Multiple times. In fact, most series have already ended in some way, shape, or form. Cosplay isn't about 'being with the times' as so many think it is. In fact, I prefer the old stuff.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Holiday Matsuri (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, Robotnik (genderbend) from Sonic, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
NiGHTmaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
WindNinjaDW
I'm a ninja....word!

Honestly, there would be know argument with me. If I like character or series, I'm going to cosplay as them or from it, period. But I'm as stubborn as a mule when it comes to the things I like(if it's well within reason, that is), so I simply would have gone the cliche route and said "to each his/her own."

*Kilik Lunge from Soul Eater(2012-13)*
*Ren Akatsuki from Fairy Tail(2013)*
*Garterbelt from Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt(TBD)*
*Trafalgar Law from One Piece(TBD)*
*Omoi from Naruto Shippuden(TBD)*
*Master Xehanort from Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep(TBD)*

Future Conventions of 2013 :

Nan Desu Kan, September 13-15, 2013 Denver, CO
WindNinjaDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady

Could be that the person who told you that is planning to cosplay your character too? And "get rid of competition".
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #19
Loveless12

Maybe it has to do with being relevant? Though that doesn't make sense since 1: the show hasn't ended yet and 2: it's not them so I dunno why they would care. The only theory I can come up with for not cosplaying dead stuff is because the fan community isn't going to be as present at cons as still going stuff (see: hetalia, homestuck) and thus not grab as much attention from like minded fans?

...I dunno what I'm talking about, cosplay it anyway. The "old stuff" is better anyway.
Loveless12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
SA2R
King of the Skies

I was crowned, for cosplaying from an anime movie that came out in the 90s! XDv
Whomever said that cosplaying a character from a ending/ended series is a bad idea~ well~ they crazy 8D!

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
ecuadorianeyezz
I.M. the Art of the Dress

I haven't read all of the responses yet, but I have to put my two cents. =__=

First off, YAY RAINBOW DASH! I'm completing my Dashie cosplay as we speak. X3

Now on to the topic at hand...How can someone argue negatively to that when there are TONS of Sailor Moon cosplays EVERYWHEEEERE! It doesn't matter of the series ended or not; if it made an impact on someone, their love for the series and characters NEVER dies. The classics have an amazing fanbase, and by classics, I mean DBZ, NGE, Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2, Tenchi and SO many more.
If you love the series/character, go for it. End of my discussion. lol

P.S. As for them screaming this season is the final season, that hasn't been officially announced so that's not the rumor to spread. As well, the fanbase is so crazy, it would be marketing/entertainment suicide if Hasbro ended it now.

NEXT CON
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2014 (September 26-28)

PLANNED COSPLAYS
MLP:FiM Rainbow Dash: 100% complete
PaSwG School Uniform Stocking: 85% complete
Crossover Cosplay-ORG XIII Stocking (PaSwG/KH): 60% complete
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Sailor Mars: 65% complete
ecuadorianeyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
usuyukisou

That is a pretty weak reason not to cosplay from a series. I mean, if you have work and/or school and you fall in love with an average 12-episode series, even if you started right after watching episode 1, the series may finish before you complete the costume (well, this also depends on difficulty...).

I mean, it's valid from a personal point of view if the person saying that would prefer only to cosplay from ongoing series, but it doesn't make sense to make that into some sort of guideline for everyone else.
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
Sugarcubesage

As people have said, people still cosplay from Sailor Moon. I'm gonna be cosplaying from that! People still cosplay DBZ, Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, etc. Just cause a series has ended doesn't mean you have to stop cosplaying from it. You'll still find people who enjoy it or even if they don't know about it they would probably ask.

Basic thing is, cosplay what you want to cosplay.

Secret Agent Magical Girl
Sugarcubesage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarcubesage View Post
As people have said, people still cosplay from Sailor Moon. I'm gonna be cosplaying from that! People still cosplay DBZ, Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, etc. Just cause a series has ended doesn't mean you have to stop cosplaying from it. You'll still find people who enjoy it or even if they don't know about it they would probably ask.
*nods*

I'm currently working on a Rurouni Kenshin cosplay. It's an old series too and I'm currently watching it for the first time.. even though it's considered old by now. Do I care that it's old? Nope. I'm just as excited to cosplay Kenshin as I would be cosplaying any other character I like, I don't care if the series finished years ago or if it's new. If I like something I will cosplay from it, simple as that.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Eren Yeager (casual outfit) - Attack on Titan
Levi (suit) - Attack on Titan

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Desucon Frostbite (13-15 February 2015)
FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #25
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

Cosplay what ever you want. It's your choice and your fandom that you're representing~

I actually tend to find that if people recognize you from an older series, it means that it has had some impact on them. Why else would they remember? You tend to find true fans with the older/ended series

Besides, If there was a rule that said you can't cosplay from old/ended series, I'd be left with two cosplays out of like....14.
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
Touya no miko
TnM

If anything, cosplaying from a series that has ended makes it all the more awesome.

It shows that the fandom is still alive.

Seras Victoria-Blood version
Mulan
Touya no miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #27
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touya no miko View Post
If anything, cosplaying from a series that has ended makes it all the more awesome.

It shows that the fandom is still alive.
+1 for this.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Eren Yeager (casual outfit) - Attack on Titan
Levi (suit) - Attack on Titan

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Desucon Frostbite (13-15 February 2015)
FRI ???
SAT ???
SUN ???
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
Tigersoul

I cant find the person who said it to quote them but... I do see the concern that a series that's over might not have as big of a fanbase and you might not get as good of a response from other con-goers, but even so (1) I'm not doing it for attention, I'm doing it because I love the character and (2) if the series does end now, that's what 6-9 months later? it's not like everyone will have forgotten about this big of a series in that short of a time!

Replies in completely random order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuadorianeyezz View Post
I haven't read all of the responses yet, but I have to put my two cents. =__=

First off, YAY RAINBOW DASH! I'm completing my Dashie cosplay as we speak. X3

P.S. As for them screaming this season is the final season, that hasn't been officially announced so that's not the rumor to spread. As well, the fanbase is so crazy, it would be marketing/entertainment suicide if Hasbro ended it now.
Woot! Brohoof! *hoofbumps* If you have any tips on how to make a RD tail, I have a thread in the wigs+hair section that I'd love to hear any advice on the topic...

And actually hasbro's been doing some stupid things with the series this season like dropping derpy (not to mention most of the bronies I know all felt the S3 opener was disappointing, as well as TMPPs (though imo they've redeemed themselves from OBA onwards with this now being, to me, the best season yet)) and some fans are speculating that the series is tieing up all the mane cast's dreams (Dash is all-but a WB now, Scoots is getting closer and closer to flying and may do so before season's end, Scoots and dash are officially "sisters", SB is sparking magic, etc) so they can end the series. The only, ONLY, theory I've seen to justify this mindset (I agree they'd be shooting a cash-cow LONG before it ran dry) is that because FiM is so much deeper than previous generations that it's causing a lot of strife with parents (i.e. "derpygate") so they want to end it (on a good note) then go back the the old "100% safe" formula, even if it kills off their peripheral demographic of the bornies --- but since they're actually making more and more merch aimed at adults (Shirts, accessories, even softdrinks!) it doesn't seem like they'd willingly sacrifice us yet just to keep a few oversensitive parents happy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibierwin View Post
I actually tend to find that if people recognize you from an older series, it means that it has had some impact on them. Why else would they remember? You tend to find true fans with the older/ended series
This. I cant remember how much support I had for a Captain Harlock cosplay and that series is from the 70s! Everyone remembered it and considered it a "Must-See Classic" on all the Anime sites I've been on (and I 100% agree)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RydiaValentine View Post
Could be that the person who told you that is planning to cosplay your character too? And "get rid of competition".
Personally I doubt it, but I cant say it's impossible. I'm actually concerned that I'll spend 3/4 of the con when someone says "Hey! Rainbow Dash!" being part of a huge chorus of "do you mean me?" since not only is the series popular, but Dash seems to be the most popular of the characters to cosplay... (if only I love some obscure character instead... lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LluviaSarcasm View Post
But it does make me wonder... Did they explain why cosplaying from an ended series is supposedly bad?
nope their argument seemed to stick to a loop of "the series has ended/will be ended" No real hard reason was ever given...

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #29
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I would ask them if they were serious before walking away and shaking my head.
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #30
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

In the 14 years I've been cosplaying, I've never heard that. Cosplay who ever you want.. there are no rules, or time limits on how long a costume can be worn...
I`d probably tell them to suck it or something..