Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 01-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Tj_05

My first Buster Sword!

Hey everyone! So this was my first time cosplaying and I decided to go as Zack and make my own buster sword. Here is an album of the sword creation in progress and my and my friend in action at ALA.

http://imgur.com/a/a2CpP

I definitely need to fix up my sword a lot. Need sand it down a lot and even out all the edges and take away all the bumps. After that, I'm planning to repaint it as well. I was also thinking of cutting the sword in half and figuring out a way of having the two pieces connect to make it easier to transport but still maintain it's durability so it won't break in half when in use. It held up pretty good over the weekend with two coats of fiberglass resin on each side and I can always insert a metal or pvc pipe inside the sword to keep it from bending but if anyone has any suggestions as to how to possibly break it into two pieces or if it's not really a viable option.

I'm also going to put a lot of work into my Zack costume as well, starting with getting the wig (it didn't come in time ). I'm also going to get new leather for the upper half of my armor and get the studs that go on each of the pads as well. I made the shoulder armor kind of last minute out of wire and masking tape (actually turned out pretty good for $15 worth of material total to make them both) but I want to use wonderflex to make them a little bit bigger and nicer.

I had a lot of fun this weekend and I'm excited to refine everything for Wondercon so I'm open to suggestions!
Tj_05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

a few years ago i was planning on cosplaying as zack fair, i looked up every buster sword tort i could find. at that time i did not have the skill to make a costume of that level, and all the sites selling it where not the one i wanted.

the buster sword you made looks decent, the only thing that matters if you made another is the weight. if you made it out of wood it would be much heavier and would require much more work. in the last photo it looks realistic, i don't think there is anything you could do to make it look better.
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

You were the one I replied to on the other thread I think..Read that wone first, it's about if you decide to remake it..But honestly, it looks fine..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Nostrum
R4Hscal

I definitely think you need to sand it back and fill in all the dents. A layer of bondo (filler putty) will make a huge difference to that.
And when you repaint, I'd suggest a full coat of silver, and then mask off the blade edge and coat the dark grey. If you use spray paints instead of brushed paints, you'll get a much more even finish.

They do look great though, and you did well!
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh, along with the repainting..Zacks version of the buster is actually very dark, almost black..then the bevel (where the blade gets thinner into the sharp part) is lighter..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote