Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Ilafatyu
That guy

Losing steam halfway through

Have you ever gotten halfway (or farther) through a cosplay before deciding that you don't like it? Have you looked at a nearly finished product and said "wow, I sort of wasted my time on this"? For the more extreme among us, have you ever completed a cosplay and then never did anything with it?

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Sheik armor upgrade - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Yup. This has happened to me multiple times. Especially with cosplays that I work a long time on, such as Gakuko and Saber. What I try to do is to take a break for a while but if I don't get motivation back, I end up forcing myself to work on it. If I still don't like the cosplay then, I have one photoshoot and then throw the cosplay into oblivion.(ex. Tamaki)

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
ladysphinx07
Cats Don't Like Me Much

I've had problems with motivating to stare, continue and finish projects, but usually when I get to be that way, I'll watch some cosplay music videos on youtube. I guess my reason is the idea of upbeat music showcasing great costumes and fun conventions gets me motivated!

Or I'll come on here and look through the costume pages and seeing all the other people creating great stuff makes me want to try hard, too!
ladysphinx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

It's happen to me alot.If I just feel no excitement to cosplay the character, and it feels like a chore just to make...I give up really quickly. I sometimes end up going back to the cosplay later, but just half ass it, and it doesn't end up good at all.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Yep. This has happened with Ririchiyo actually. I love her character and outfits and all, but I've gotten sick of her cosplay with all the troubles it's given me. It's also happened when I tried to cosplay Homestuck, and even with Len and Gumi. After a while of staring at it for so long, it just makes me really sick of looking at the same thing.
I usually console myself by either playing video games or watching a different anime (preferably one that I won't want to cosplay from). Just give myself something different to look at.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Halfway? HA I get FINISHED then realize I don't like something lol Which is WAY worse..But yea, Done that quite a few times
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
pinkkiller

I have a half-made bubble head nurse costume staring at me (literally, the head's sitting in my bookshelf). It was my first serious sewing project, pattern and all and it went fairly well until I realised that I chose the COMPLETELY wrong fabric. It sounds ridiculous because it's such a simple dress, but for me figuring out how to sew with from scratch was so exhausting that I just couldn't bring myself to start again.

And so it was shelved for eternity. The end.
pinkkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Khorrupt

Usually costumes that take a reeeeally long time to make end up just sitting in a box in my closet, forever unfinished. Whether it's because something big came up that's going to be time-consuming, because I ran out of money for a while, or just I went ahead and started something else.

About six months ago, I was thinking, YEAH, I'm gonna cosplay Kotetsu Kaburagi! I bought a shirt, made 90% of the vest, bought a tie, got the stuff to fix it up, bought material for making all his jewelry, and it was going great.

Then...Halloween. And so I stuffed all the Kotetsu stuff into a plastic bin and the rest of my money went to buying pink ribbons, flowers, and lace for my Rapunzel costume. Now I'm already buying red nylon and such for my Robin costume for Halloween this year, so at this rate, it looks like Kotetsu's never coming out of the closet.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
~Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

I've had projects that tend to wear me down, and perhaps if I didn't have a cosplay group I might lose all motivation. As it is, my friends tend to keep me excited about new costumes, and hopefully I offer the same to them.

That said, I do have one or two costumes that I wear considerably less often as a result of dimmed interest. I keep them around in case my mood shifts them back in favor.

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Talossa
We try hardcore!

I've had a couple projects like that, where did I a decent chunk of the work and then just got sick of it, or thought it was absolutely horrible with no fix. In my case, I set them aside, and lo and behold, some months later I took them out and was like, "Hey, this isn't so bad after all!" and got to working again.

When you work on something really intensely, it can be hard to step back and take an objective look at things, so every tiny little thing that doesn't go right becomes a fatal flaw. I think sometimes you just need a break.
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
Julesie

I finished a character. Everything ready to go. Put it all on and realised I did not like how it looked on me at all and the character really didn't fit me. I ended wearing it to one convention, had a few photos taken but no one posted them and I haven't seen a single one, yet I wore another costume to the same con and I found many photos of me in that outfit.

I then decided I no longer wanted to be Ciel and now the costume is just rotting away.
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
heaven_firings

This has happened a couple times. I was working on a Christmas themed outfit one time and then ended up not being able to go to the con and everything else is either after or way before Christmas so it's kinda just hanging there is my closet with no purpose. Another was temporarily dropped by my cosplay group but looks like it's being picked up again this year. I started drafting out a Ventus cosplay and then changed my mind but luckily that was before really working on it so no money wasted. I do like them though but various things come up that prevent me from being motivated to finish.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
kAZbear

Heh, that's happened with most of my cosplays for this year so far. I'm just like... nope, this sucks *FLIPS ALL THE TABLES*

Costumes in progress

Ness (Earthbound)
Iwamine Shuu (Hatoful Boyfriend)
kAZbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
Ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kAZbear View Post
Heh, that's happened with most of my cosplays for this year so far. I'm just like... nope, this sucks *FLIPS ALL THE TABLES*
Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to do some table flipping at the sight of the offending (yet unoffensive) cosplay. It's like... Bro, I used to love you, but this isn't working out. Look at you, you're a mess. Clean yourself up, then we'll talk.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Sheik armor upgrade - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
zeochan
Bucky take the wheel

Yeah, always xD
I spend all day working on my costume and then there's a point where my hands are tired or a part of my costume isn't coming out decently so i'm just like "ah screw it i'll work on it later". And then the next day i'm back to it again. Wanting to finish my costume keeps me motivated.

Black Widow (Captain America 2, civilian alternate; Falcon's house) - Finished!
Black Widow (Captain America 2, civilian alternate #2; escape with Steve) - In progress

Others:
Elsa (Frozen) - Planning
Scarlet Witch (Avengers 2) - In progress
zeochan is offline   Reply With Quote