Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverselove View Post
Hello Everyone,
In case you don't know, I'm new to everything cosplay. Alright, so recently I heard someone (med student) say that cosplaying is only for teenagers or people who are in their early 20's. And that person also said that once you get older people should give up cosplaying because it makes you look childish and immature.
I want to know if anyone here feels this way or agrees. I don't want to give up cosplaying (psh* in fact I just started) especially once you get a more stable job and make more money than you do when you're in your early 20's. I'm almost turning 25 and want to go to school to become a criminal psychologist{Ph.D.}. And I feel with that profession it will be hard to keep cosplaying and still be taken seriously, if people find out about it.
I do know a couple who are in their 30's who still cosplay but they are both public school teachers, which I feel is a career that you still be taken serious but allowed to not be serious all the time if you do your job.

So I just want to know how anyone feels about this. Is there an age limit where cosplaying can make you look "childish"? Does it all depend on what type of career you have(like being a pediatrician, where you work with children vs. being a cardiologist)?

Thoughts, opinions, ideas. I'm still relatively young so I still have time to start cosplaying if I am going to stop once I get older.
There may be people who won't take you seriously as a criminal psychologist if you cosplay, but if you aren't waving about your hobbies on a flag, people that you work with are not likely to know about it.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

I find that silly. There is no age limit. Some grow out of it and that is fine if that is their choice or they have other priorities like caring for families of their own and don't have as much time, but that doesn't mean you can't cosplay when you get older. Some people might rethink who they cosplay as, but I have seen grandmothers cosplay from Inuyasha and Kindom Hearts, etc...so it is safe to say that is fun for all ages. I've seen whole families dress up. Not like you have to share it with your co-works or other students, not like it is illegal or you are required you do so. I don't think it would affect your career just wearing a costume as long as you are seen doing something inappropriate.

I been studying ATS/Tribal Fusion Belly Dance and foreign languages in addition to taking classes to work in the medical field and just got my first college degree, Associate's Degree in Applied Science (well I am more open it the other dancers as they obviously have no problems dressing up and many are also cosplayers and anime fans and know the stigma about sharing some aspects of personal life with others as belly dance still seen in a negative light by some people) and so far people actually think it is cool and creative and never been given a hard time from anyone besides some jerks online that I really didn't know, so I really don't care what they think.

Adults still dress up for costume parties, etc....all the time for Halloween or special events. I think being active and having hobbies that you enjoy helps you to keep healthy.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

I'm a bit older then most cosplayers, and I don't think about stopping any time soon. Granted my professional life and my personal life remain separate. My coworkers don't know I cosplay, nor do my bosses. If I need to take off for a con weekend I usually say "I'm going to see friends". It's not really lying cause I am, kinda. If need be I will lie and say I have a wedding or something.

Really just don't go around flaunting your hobby and like DireKitty said, people might not take you seriously. Try your best to keep your hobby life and professional life two separate things.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

Simple answer is that there is no age limit to cosplay!
I remember seeing an article going around tumblr a while ago. It was about how a lady that had been attending conventions and cosplaying since she was in her twenties. Now she is about sixty something and stilling doing the same!
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
Lithium Flower
Handphones

You should tell them that dictating what other people in their free time with their own money makes them look immature.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #21
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverselove View Post
Hello Everyone,
In case you don't know, I'm new to everything cosplay. Alright, so recently I heard someone (med student) say that cosplaying is only for teenagers or people who are in their early 20's. And that person also said that once you get older people should give up cosplaying because it makes you look childish and immature.
I want to know if anyone here feels this way or agrees. I don't want to give up cosplaying (psh* in fact I just started) especially once you get a more stable job and make more money than you do when you're in your early 20's. I'm almost turning 25 and want to go to school to become a criminal psychologist{Ph.D.}. And I feel with that profession it will be hard to keep cosplaying and still be taken seriously, if people find out about it.
I do know a couple who are in their 30's who still cosplay but they are both public school teachers, which I feel is a career that you still be taken serious but allowed to not be serious all the time if you do your job.

So I just want to know how anyone feels about this. Is there an age limit where cosplaying can make you look "childish"? Does it all depend on what type of career you have(like being a pediatrician, where you work with children vs. being a cardiologist)?

Thoughts, opinions, ideas. I'm still relatively young so I still have time to start cosplaying if I am going to stop once I get older.
There is a big difference between childish and mature. I've known toddlers more mature then their minders, teenagers that act like four years olds just because they don't get their way and people old enough to be my parents more up to speed on modern pop culture then I am. I mayself will never grow up. However, at age 13 I was cooking, cleaning and keeping a budget; in short everything an adult is suppose to do except earning money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedievalGirl View Post
I'm 42 and just started with cosplay. I've been a historical re-enactor for over 20 years so I'm no stranger to playing dress up or the social hit for having an odd hobby. A lot of friends my age do both reenactments and cosplay so I've been a bit surprised by the agism I've seen here. I had no idea it was considered by some a teen hobby!
Coplay is NOT a teenage hobby. However, anime/manga cosplay does seem to attract alot of teen members.
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #22
Wolfmagicx
DH Cosplay

I use to think the same thing, until i went to dragon con this past year!! then i decided to join in on the cosplay fun as well. age limit pfft, as long as your having fun and enjoying yourself go for it, im in my early 30's and love it, to see something i have been working on come together and be able to wear it, its great ignore anyone who says other wise
Wolfmagicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #23
Angelic_Sabyne
SuperGal in Training!

Short Answer: Nope.

Longer Answer: Like others have said, age shouldn't be an issue if it's something you love. I'm 30, pursuing a health care career, and I've started cosplaying. And I've been having a great time with it! The one thing that gets everyone's attention is simply the fact that I sew, since so many people nowadays don't sew/sew very little. I say, if you feel you need to keep your professional and personal lives separate, do so. But if you want to tell people, you cosplay, just tell them you attend conventions in your spare time that you often make and wear costumes to. I've almost never found people who think of that as anything but an interesting plus!

Facebook
Tumblr
Storenvy Shop

Upcoming 2014 Conventions

Anime Los Angeles
Anime Conji (?)
Fanime
Anime California (?)
Pacific Media Expo

'If at first you don't succeed, pull out the stitches, realign your fabric pieces, and sew it again.'
Angelic_Sabyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #24
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Sigh.

Anyone who has decided that cosplay is "for kids" and that you have to "grow out of it" is likely someone who is obsessed with the opinions of others, who is afraid that somehow the world will judge them if they do, say, or think things that might somehow be connected with people of a certain age. Anyone who gets really upset over the idea that the nameless, faceless world will judge them for being interested in a certain hobby (or TV show, or sport, or book, or anything) is probably someone whose opinion you don't want to listen to.

I'm knocking on the door of 40. I got into costuming when I was in my 20's. The association with youth and immaturity is something that has only popped up within the past 5-10 years, because there are a lot of people under the age of 18 who really like anime and are really into it. This is a demographic fact. But no one can say that because of this fact, that the whole idea of dressing up in a costume while attending a convention or other nerd event is somehow the realm of teenagers. It isn't, and it hasn't been for a long time. People have been dressing up in costumes at cons and events since the 1950's (well, since 1939 technically, but if you want to be technical about it, it got popular in the 50's). Most of them were adults at the time. Most of them still are. Many of them who are still alive still costume! Just because you don't see them at anime cons doesn't mean they don't exist.

It's also true that a lot of immature behavior seems to be exhibited by younger-age cosplayers at cons. But this isn't because they're wearing costumes. It's because they're young. Donning a costume doesn't make you immature, being immature makes you immature. This can happen to anyone regardless of what age they are.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #25
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

theres no age limit to cosplay, but thats only in the eyes of cosplayers. other people will find it strange, creepy, or immature and u cant really change that. sucks doesnt it? Cosplay just doesnt mesh with the public view of what a mature and intelligent person should be doing at an older age.
Miss Fortune (LoL)- 0% thinking
Tera Elin- 0% thinking
Hermione- 99% waiting for shipment to arrive
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
CosplayJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #26
kidcyco

I am 50 y/o marrried 23 years,3 children,6 years in the marine corps.
My only saying is mother nature can make you grow old......but she cant make you grow up
kidcyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #27
ghosgreen

I've made a lot of friends over the years with varying ages and career backgrounds. What I've learned is like everyone else said there is no real age limit. Or if there is I sure haven't seen it. If anything when you get older and a stable job you're able to to do a lot more complex and intricate costumes. I know this rather well...damn friends of mine convincing to follow them on costume projects. Oh it's alright it's just gonna cost you about 500 bucks no big deal....Seriously guys? I can barely buy textbooks and you're trying to convince to spend that kind of money on a costume? Oh hell yeah I would I just don't have the finances to drop big bucks like that....wait what was I saying again...oh right. Yeah no age limit. If anything it allows you to step up your hobby.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #28
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

My favorite saying was "We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing" If I can do medieval and Victorian stuff at 100 I prolly will lol

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #29
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Heck no, there is no age limit...as long as you are still passionate about the hobby and willing to put in the effort, keep doing it! No one has the right to tell you what you should and shouldn't do in your free time and with the money that you earn. To each their own after all; I'm 30 and I just got into cosplaying in the last couple years and as of now, I have no plans whatsoever to stop.
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #30
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Anyone who declared "maturity" or the lack thereof in terms on cosplay themselves, are not mature to begin with. It takes an immature person to call out something as immature. A mature person will know no boundaries, as long as it is within legal reason, to maturity and immaturity.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote