Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #61
guitargirlts9
I Love Light Music!

One advantage of being "mature" means having a career in which you can actually afford to do all of this without suffering from being broke. It's nice being able to do things like get a hotel at a con and NOT have to split it up with like 6 people or buy any kind of prop/accessory without worrying about its cost.

On a personal note of being an older cosplayer I must say it's also nice being Asian since we tend to look younger than we really are which makes it easier to cosplay someone who is half my age.
guitargirlts9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #62
DreamaNightmare

To me, even though still in the "young cosplayers" age, I do not think there will ever be an age boundary. I remember seeing a picture of an 80 something year old woman dressed as Riku. For being 25, I still think that is no issue for worrying though.
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #63
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

i had my 30th birthday at a con and spent most of the weekend hanging with people i'd never met before. best birthday ever

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #64
nyditch
Protector of Innocence

I'm 26, and, well heck I still feel young. I work as a machinist, and a few people at work know I cosplay and they're chill about it. Maybe not quite the most pretegious job, but I have another example:

It's not cosplay, but for those familiar with Amtgard (medieval style foam weapon battles, if which you're supposed to dress up), the guy who's second in command at the local police department is part of it. He's out there a few times a month, sometimes dressed up more, sometimes casual, and always ready to duel with foam swords. I think he's in his late 40's or 50's.

If you feel that cosplaying would truly interrupt with your work, then you have some considering to do. I personally find it doesn't affect my job whatsoever, except maybe taking a Friday vacation day to go to a 3-day con.
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #65
aimee
it's a sparkly!

I'm 33, I don't see myself stopping cosplay soon.

Cosplay, mostly, is about loving a series, character or design so much that you just simply MUST make it. It usually helps to cosplay something that is more flattering to you, within reason. But whenever I ask people for suggestions on what I should cosplay based on my height, they always say "BIG BARDA". No thanks!

Rapunzel is way shorter and way younger than me, so I was worried about cosplaying her. But I really loved her design and that movie, so I did it anyway. Once I made it, I enjoyed wearing it SO MUCH! and I got lots of positive feedback about it, so I'm glad I didn't let fear of others keep me from doing something fun and pretty. I think if I tried to cosplay Card Captor Sakura, that would perhaps not work out so great, it just wouldn't look well on me, but there are so many options and allowing for some leeway in your choice range is so much more fun.

I know people get flack for all kinds of reasons when they cosplay from folks who are rude... either it's their height, skin tone, weight, looks, accuracy, etc, etc... but I would love to see people support each other more...
aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #66
CosplayerKirito
"The Invisible"

As a 21 year old working in the oil field, you see different kinds of people every day. Maturity is exactly as guitargirlts put it. Being able to hold down a decent job, and not being broke from cosplaying or your hobby. Some people may not see cosplay as a respectable hobby, but they don't see it from a cosplayers point of view. I've told a few of the rig guys i'm into this, and they thought it was cool, some of them even asked what characters I've done or want to do.

So basically, it's not about maturity, it's about doing something YOU enjoy and not letting it bug you.
Heathcliff
Asuna
Yoruichi (Bleach)
Ino Yamanaka 75% (Need wig cut and styled)
Conventions Planned:
CosplayerKirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #67
°Valkyrie°

Wow this post really made my day. I just started and I was getting a little nervous about my age. It's nice to see all your supportive comments! Keep this thread going!
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #68
invadersean

When I was in high school, there was a history teacher who dressed up for different parts of history, eg, an orange pinstriped suit for the 20s. Even though I never had him, I always looked forward to his "CosPlaying". Watch a sporting event, especially a football game, especially one featuring a team like the Oakland Raiders. You'll see other people dressing up to support their team, which is another form of CosPlay. If you being mature means you give up something "childish" that you enjoy, and doesn't hurt anybody, then you're just going to be bored. If it wasn't for "immature" adults, we wouldn't have cartoons, anime, comics, video games, etc. Think about how boring our world would be then.
invadersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #69
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

I say what you do on your own time is no one's business but your own (assuming what you're doing is legal). I don't think there's anything wrong with cosplaying when you're older (there are a lot of people on this site who are married with kids even), but if it REALLY makes you feel weird, you don't have to tell anybody about it. After all, the only way people can find out that you cosplay is if you tell them... or get careless and leave pieces of your cosplay/convention pics laying around >.<
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #70
ArdentTenue

I'm 27 years old myself, and I'll be cosplaying for the first time in March. I was worried about my age as well, but I don't really care if the majority of people at the convention are younger then I am. I've wanted to go to an anime convention since I was 20, but I just never got around to it, because of life and none of my friend ever wanting to go to an anime convention. I'm pretty much at the point in my life where "I do what I want", and I'm not going to let age difference, or what people might think, get in the way of enjoying life the way I want to.

That said, when 30 rolls around, I might consider stopping, but we’ll see what happens when that time comes. (Not putting people who are older than 30 and still cosplay, down, just my personal choices/thoughts.) If I’m still single, and date less, I probably won’t have any other real obligations stopping me from going to conventions.

In the end, do what makes you happy, no matter what social norms might dictate. Unless it’s illegal, then don’t do that, lol.
ArdentTenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #71
epicserendipity
Love the wind in my hair

Lately, I have been really torn about cosplaying.
It's been bothering me so much that I actually had a nightmare about younger cosplayers ripping my costume off of me in the middle of a con while snearing in taunting chides, saying horrible condescending things like, "Get out of here, you perv," "OMG, creep!" 'Grow up, you old hag," "Stupid dork," and "Ew, you're old!"

I've been in theater since I was 10, working the ren. faire since I was 18, and started cosplaying when I was 27, so dressing up isn't new for me. However, since I turned 30, I've been in a serious age crisis. I love cosplaying, because it helps to fulfill my need to be a performer and be in the spot light. I'm no where near pretty, but my soul needs to be creative. I need to be loud, bouncy, not seeing the line until I've crossed it, do stupid things, have weird logic patterns, and be happy to see how high I can go on a swingset. If there's a ball pit, I'm in it. ((People just forget that the simple, little things in life can still be fun --like swings.))

My age problem with cosplaying is probably because my 20's were swallowed up by severe depression when someone I loved took their own life: hanging. I got cold-clocked and it destroyed me. It took me 10 years to finally get back to normal. Everything about me froze at age 22. I basically just existed, doing things in an attempt to get back to what I was before crap hit the fan. I finished college, got a degree, had numerous jobs, finished an epic fantasy trilogy and had it published, moved 7 times, left my family and friends, been on t.v., even dated once or twice, but never really.... "Unfroze."

I lost my 20's to an insatiable beast, and, dude, it seriously ticks me off.

I'm unfrozen now at 31. My cogs are finally moving again and I feel like I can be who I was before he died. Except who I was was a carefree happy-go-lucky 22 year old living in the boonies, working through college, and completely head-over-heels in love. I'm mentally playing catch-up with everyone else in my generation. I'm too old in body, but my mind is still at the early 20's save point. I can't see myself as being 31. It just seems...... wrong.

So, now I'm fighting with what I love to do and what I should be doing at this point in my life. I'm trying to be myself, but I don't know who that is anymore. I just keep going in circles. If I could just start over at 22...game reset.

I will still cosplay because I like it, and I've spoken with some wonderful people here on the forums who don't care if I'm 18 or 31.

It's a relief to know that I'm not alone here. The stories in this thread helped me see that other people are going through similar --or worse-- situations.

Sorry for the ramble.

Future Cons: Anime Expo 2014 (L.A)

FINISHED PROJECTS:

100%: Yosuke Hanamura (Many outfits) (Persona 4)
Current Projects:
Junpei Iori (Persona 3 --with my friends.)

Kaoru Kamiya - Kendo uniform (Rurouni Kenshin -anime)
My Youtube Channel (I sing and stuff here.)
BTVA voice acting profile

Last edited by epicserendipity : 02-28-2013 at 09:17 PM.
epicserendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #72
Hamie

I think it's perfectly fine. If people at disney get to cosplay night and day for a living why can't we do it for fun?
Besides, there are characters that are inappropriate for younger folks to cosplay and that older people could pull off!
I somehow don't really feel comfortable seeing a 10 year old sporting a christie monteiro bikini and pants from Tekken 4! I'm 21 and womanly looking, I'd manage to look like her or even Lulu from FFX- She looks like she is in somewhere between 26-33 years old.

Also, being older might make you able to control the nonsense that happens at conventions because you have a certain authority. If I say something to my sister's 17 year old friends they usually comply.
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #73
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicserendipity View Post
Lately, I have been really torn about cosplaying.
It's been bothering me so much that I actually had a nightmare about younger cosplayers ripping my costume off of me in the middle of a con while snearing in taunting chides, saying horrible condescending things like, "Get out of here, you perv," "OMG, creep!" 'Grow up, you old hag," "Stupid dork," and "Ew, you're old!"

I've been in theater since I was 10, working the ren. faire since I was 18, and started cosplaying when I was 27, so dressing up isn't new for me. However, since I turned 30, I've been in a serious age crisis. I love cosplaying, because it helps to fulfill my need to be a performer and be in the spot light. I'm no where near pretty, but my soul needs to be creative. I need to be loud, bouncy, not seeing the line until I've crossed it, do stupid things, have weird logic patterns, and be happy to see how high I can go on a swingset. If there's a ball pit, I'm in it. ((People just forget that the simple, little things in life can still be fun --like swings.))

My age problem with cosplaying is probably because my 20's were swallowed up by severe depression when someone I loved took their own life: hanging. I got cold-clocked and it destroyed me. It took me 10 years to finally get back to normal. Everything about me froze at age 22. I basically just existed, doing things in an attempt to get back to what I was before crap hit the fan. I finished college, got a degree, had numerous jobs, finished an epic fantasy trilogy and had it published, moved 7 times, left my family and friends, been on t.v., even dated once or twice, but never really.... "Unfroze."

I lost my 20's to an insatiable beast, and, dude, it seriously ticks me off.

I'm unfrozen now at 31. My cogs are finally moving again and I feel like I can be who I was before he died. Except who I was was a carefree happy-go-lucky 22 year old living in the boonies, working through college, and completely head-over-heels in love. I'm mentally playing catch-up with everyone else in my generation. I'm too old in body, but my mind is still at the early 20's save point. I can't see myself as being 31. It just seems...... wrong.

So, now I'm fighting with what I love to do and what I should be doing at this point in my life. I'm trying to be myself, but I don't know who that is anymore. I just keep going in circles. If I could just start over at 22...game reset.

I will still cosplay because I like it, and I've spoken with some wonderful people here on the forums who don't care if I'm 18 or 31.

It's a relief to know that I'm not alone here. The stories in this thread helped me see that other people are going through similar --or worse-- situations.

Sorry for the ramble.
If it make you feel any better, we got my Grandma to Cosplay when she was 80+ years old. No one laughed, no one made fun, if anything they thought she rocked.
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #74
ShadowFaeyre

At Dragon*con, I've meet plenty of people of all ages (literally) cosplaying all sorts of different characters.
I met an older woman who cosplayed Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle, and her husband did Porco Rosso. Everybody loved them to death! There was even an older couple who cosplayed Uncle Iroh and his wife from Avatar, and their granddaughters did Azula and Katara. Not to mention the one grandma who was cosplaying water tribe and made her grandson's crib look like Appa; he was snuggled up in an orange blanket and a cap with an arrow on it.
There are people from every walk of life there, and I've seen whole offices there doing a group as stormtroopers, Halo, steampunk, etc. and just having a good time without a care in the world.
A teacher cosplayed Professor McGonagall at her school for Halloween. I've heard of a dentist who has an office worker go to work in cosplay as Tooth from Rise of the Guardians every once in a while only because she can't because it could impede her work.

There are gonna be critics, but the whole idea of it all is for YOU to have fun you aren't doing this for anyone else, after all. ;D

I do agree with the keeping it from the boss thing. Some people don't mind, they might even think it's cool and see the skills that you can develop through cosplay, but others...
My boss in particular is very against conventions and cosplaying, and I'm just a busser at a family restaurant. She purposefully won't give me time off if she even thinks I'm going to a convention (while my coworkers can do as they please), so I have to be careful when I ask. It's so bad that I asked off for Christmas to visit my mom, and she wasn't going to let me go because she thought I was going to a con. For two weeks. During Christmas.
And I never even told her about my hobby, she found out from other family.
2013/14 Cosplays: Levi (SnK) ~ Erwin Smith (SnK) ~ SplashFree!Makoto (Free!) ~ merman!Makoto (Free!) ~ SplashFree!Rin (Free!) ~ merman! Rin (Free!) ~ Kagami Taiga (KuroBasu) ~ Cambio Forma!Yamamoto (KHReborn!) ~ Sinbad (Magi)
ShadowFaeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #75
ShadowFaeyre

And I used Dragon*con as an example because the majority of attendees are in their late 20's and older; most are in their thirties and forties with stable careers and families.
Seeing them continue doing what they love inspires me to just not care what others think.
2013/14 Cosplays: Levi (SnK) ~ Erwin Smith (SnK) ~ SplashFree!Makoto (Free!) ~ merman!Makoto (Free!) ~ SplashFree!Rin (Free!) ~ merman! Rin (Free!) ~ Kagami Taiga (KuroBasu) ~ Cambio Forma!Yamamoto (KHReborn!) ~ Sinbad (Magi)
ShadowFaeyre is offline   Reply With Quote