Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
lenkagamine02
The Uke

Cosplay with braces?

Hello everyone sorry if im posting this in the wrong place :P
So next month im getting braces and im kinda looking forward to it however today I was thinking: If I get braces will it make my cosplays look weird? If I where to have gotten them last or year or any year before that I wouldnt have minded (since I never was really serious about cosplaying till this year) but this year I am really working hard to make my cosplays look the best they can look and im just afried that getting braces will ruin it all. Do you guys think it will make it look bad? Also have any of you had/have this sort of problem/worry before? Thanks guys

"Hush little Izaya, don't you cry. Don't cut your arms, don't say goodbye.
Put down the lighter, put down the knife. It may be hard, but you'll win this fight."
-Uke (me)
(This message is to Izaya Orihara)

YT: Narutoshowfan101
Deviantart: DattebayoCosplayer
Tumblr: Aloisxxxciel
Worldcosplay: Uke
lenkagamine02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Shirayuki~Chan

My friend cosplays and she has braces. No one has ever mentioned them, and if someone ever did I would snap at them. Why? Because who cares if someone has braces. It's a not a big deal. Seriously.

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

Hello! Being a cosplayer that has had braces, I know how you feel. Braces are something you can't help, but they will not make your cosplay look bad! If you feel self-conscious about it though, you simply don't have to smile with your teeth. As much as braces are a bummer, in the end you'll have very pretty teeth and many years of braces-less cosplay ahead.
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
*Eclipse*

I have braces as well, I've had them for quite a while now. No one really minds braces and if they do they're bein jerks. You might find them strange at first but think of it this way: your teeth will look absolutely INCREDABLE In the Long run!! And after a short while your teeth will be Straight it only took my teeth about a month to straighten and then you have a beautiful smile don worry about it!
*I am I, and you are you. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations and, you are not in this world to live up to mine." <--- basically: I'm a little weird, join the dark side or get over it
*Eclipse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I had braces too, when cosplaying I never even noticed them and still don't in photos.

You can even get bands that match the color of your character!
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

Pretty much what everyone else said. Having braces will not ruin your cosplay, and no one should mind
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets

Rest assured, it's something that very few, if any, would actually notice and they don't make a cosplay look bad. You are going to be fine!

Most likely people are just going to eye your attire and your efforts, not what is in your mouth! Braces afterall, are a regular occurance in the daily life of us human folk. It is also on behalf of your oral health afterall, and any normal person is going to understand that.

Really, I highly doubt you will get a reaction like "Oh neat that person has a really coo- OMFG SHE HAS BRACES.*CARDIAC ARREST*"

Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (95%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF||King Canute::Vinland Saga
|| ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's
EgnirysFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
touchmon
Make All The Things!

This thread could not come in at a better time. I found out I'm going to be needing braces and this thread helps me not feel as self conscious about it.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #9
daylight
Sugar Junkie

When I started cosplaying I had braces

no one really will notice, and I found that allot of people I talked to about it tended to think braces were cute on girls

Still though, while I had them I never smiled with teeth in any of my cosplay pictures

Two tips id give a cosplayer with braces

1.) get light colored rubber bands (dont get white because they turn yellow)
I always wore light blue, light pink, light green, silver is good too
it draws less attention to the eyes and in photos when I had dark purple or black rubber bands it almost looked like I had ink in my mouth

so go with light colors

2.) after 6-12 months they should start giving you chains
if they don't ask for them, or you can ask them to start you on them early
it makes your treatment faster also it covers more of the medal on the brackets and covers the wire

the chains will hurt more at first, but only for a few weeks, also it helps keep some of the wires from cutting up the inside of your lips and stuff
BELIEVE me its worth it

They had me in braces for 6 years ( I went to a cheap shady orthodontist so thats why)

and one last tip, if you are still in high school, tell them you want the braces off by senior pictures/prom
itll help push them to finish your treatment, do not be timid about it, every time you go tell them you want them off by senior year pictures/prom

some of the things they do to speed up your treatment may hurt, but with braces every time they do something to you, no matter what it is, it will only ever hurt for 2-3 weeks
you will be in pain regardless, you might as well have them on for less time

Last edited by daylight : 01-12-2013 at 01:55 AM.
daylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Braces are not fun, let me tell you. Then again I had an orthodontist but they worked WONDERS on my teeth. Just make sure that you clean well with the braces.

Anyway, people shouldn't say anything about your braces. I mean there might be the one jerk face who says something (I have had several with my glasses... I kind of need to see with them), but just ignore them.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

My sister cosplayed when she was still wearing hers...but was always aware of them so she wouldn't smile too much in photos.
Unread 01-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Schweigie
--

I actually currently have braces; which I am sure none of you could even tell because in photos I always smile with my mouth closed. The last convention I went to no one had called me out on them, insulted me for them, or even said anything about them in general.

Just as everyone else said... it doesn't matter all too much. But here are just little tips if your are feeling self-concious:

1) In photos, smile with your mouth closed if you don't want them showing.

2) I would suggest against getting any funky colors as they draw more unnecessary attention to your mouth; and that's kind of like a neon sign pointing to your braces.
- Also don't get white or clear. They get dirty and turn yellow very quickly.
- If they have silver I think that's the way to go because it blends in with the rest of the braces.

Rose Lalonde - Homestuck - [god tier] - revamp
Dirk Strider - Homestuck - [god tier] - WIP - [dreamer] - WIP

Schweigie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
PurpleLeafX3

Im having the EXACT same problem as you do , I just got braces like two months ago, and I'm really happy about it cuz my teeth situation start improving really fast! But.....I hate do the cosplay this way , I have a convention next month/: Altough, it's not something you can control, and braces aren't a really big deal in cosplays, and when you do photoshoots you can just..not open your mouth I guess ^^" well good luck
PurpleLeafX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
PurpleLeafX3

oh cmon everyone has braces! Me too actually, and yeah I would be happier if I didn't have to cosplay with them (convention next month ..==) but it's really, REALLY, not a big deal...when I do the photoshoots I'll just smile with my mouth closed or have a serious expression, I recommend you to do the same
And remember, it may be a bother now, but in a year or a year and a half we'll have beautiful awesome teeth, and it'll be MUCH funner cosplaying this way~
PurpleLeafX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
CobaltTempest

As a cosplayer who is currently wearing braces and has been for over a year, I can safely say that braces do not show up too noticeably in photos especially if they're half-body or full-body shots. Of course, this could also be a motivation to smile without opening your mouth, which I find myself having difficulty with at times.

My cosplay/photography work
Facebook | tumblr | deviantArt | World Cosplay

Yaoi-Con 2014 - MAYBE

Pacific Media Expo 2014
Kagamine Rin (Christmas) - Hatsune Miku: Project Diva
Kosaka Honoka (僕らは今のなかで) - Love Live! School Idol Project
CobaltTempest is offline   Reply With Quote