Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Metal Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Kaladin

Wanna help me dissect Liquid Ocelot's outfit?

BROTHER!

Greetings fellow MGS fans and cosplayers alike! As my first post on this great forum, I would like to ask for your assistance.

Last summer, I attended Connecticon as Vamp. However, I was pressed for time, and thus through together a pretty awful cosplay. It was horribly uncomfortable, and I hated it so much, that I refuse to acknowledge that I actually wore it. That being said, ignore everything I just said.

I originally wanted to go with Liquid Ocelot - one of my favorite characters of all time. Now I am trying to dissect the costume to make sure I get it as perfect as I can.

Reference 1: http://bestgamewallpapers.com/files/...uid-ocelot.jpg

Reference 2: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...OcelotMGS4.jpg

Here's what I am getting thus far:

- Black Trench Coat
- Khaki pants (they're actually pinstriped, but I feel like that's going to be hard to find.)
- Glasses
- Black fingerless gloves

But I am getting stumped on the other parts. For instance, that seems like a pretty specific coat he is wearing UNDERNEATH the trench coat. It's sort of a beige or mustard yellow, but it's hard to tell. Not only that, but the shirt and tie combo is hard to distinguish. The tie seems to be black with a silver dotted pattern, but the undershirt's color I can't quite tell.

The most glaring and confusing part of the costume is the black straps he has going horizontally across his body. Are these a part of some sort of harness or holster? I can;t tell, and I've never seen it before.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated folks.
Kaladin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

Welcome!

From your first reference image, it looks like his tie has a striped pattern (see the larger Ocelot on the left).

As for the shirt, it looks to be black. If you can, play through some of the cutscenes. I found the ending of the Middle East here, Ocelot at 3:00...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1aH0...9CDABC3496F038

The coat looks like a matching set with the pants, so look for them as a set. Try a military surplus store for something with a more military/officer cut. The black straps actually look like the hold his coat closed, instead of being a harness worn underneath.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Kaladin

Thanks a bunch! Upon further inspection I have found that the shirt is in fact Black. It is been tough trying to find a suit that resembles this one (on the budget that I have). Luckily I have plenty of time this year, and not three days like last years.

With regards to the trench coat, I think you are right. Looking at the picture, I can see the wrinkles in the coat where the straps are pulling. The problem here lies, where to find one of these coats. Do you know what "style" trench coat this is?

Thanks again, and I must say your Raiden (if that is you in the picture) is damn impressive.
Kaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

Yes, it's me. Wore it to Fanime 2012 and PMX 2012, probably gonna wear it to the release as well as Fanime again and SDCC this summer.

I think you could find the trench coat, or one similar to it, pretty easily. The straps should be easy enough to install yourself. Look for a faux reptile/snake skin, as an actual reptile skin would probably be VERY expensive.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote