Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

Anime expo stories?

Hey, I was wondering if theres any stories about Anime Expo you guys would like to share for others! It could be a personal experience, maybe your first time cosplaying, even meeting new friends! Whatever it is, we'd love to hear it!

Just put the year and your story!
Fey- Welcome to Nightvale- 70%
Pandora- Devils Candy- 30%

Last edited by Resident-chick : 05-13-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-13-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Queenie
One Tuff Cookie

Year: 2010

My con was such a rollercoaster of stuff from having one of our roomies getting kicked out of the convention, to getting locked out of our room for a few hours. By the last day I was soooo done. I was coming back to the room at the JW after babysitting the AA table when I notice that I'm riding the elevator with a guy with poofy afro like hair and that signature red, yellow, and blue combo. It's Nabeshin! I freak out a little and when we get off at the same floor I asked for a picture with him. He was very obliging and seemed really nice.

Picture

Planned Cosplays:
Ponyo- Ponyo
Lisbeth- Sword Art Online
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
digitallee
Inland Empire Cosplayer

My experience from AX last year and my first time going.

On sat: Me and a buddy were walking around just taking pics with people and such and we had just left the upstairs hallway. We were going to take the escalator downstairs and we ran into Andy Samberg! I was amazed he was there to begin with. He had on a really cheaply done sasuke but who cares it was Andy Samberg. We chatted briefly, I got a picture taken with him, and we hugged because darnit it's not often you meet famous people!

On Sun: Was alone that day. Ran into A.J. Pinkerton and Peter Srinivasan of Random Encounters and was "interviewed" by them. Those two are super awesome. I became friends with A.J. and Peter shortly thereafter. Ran into a girl I had met at AM2 and did the silliest pose with her. Oh man there were a bunch of people that I became friends with shortly thereafter. It really helped me break much of my shyness.

10/10 would go again!
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
DrScorpio
Lucha

Year 2009:

This story is a little long and is mostly copy-pasted from my rubber-slug page. Its the story of what happened during my Morning Musume autograph hunt experience. I have to say AX really dropped the ball on handling lots of matters. You needed to attend the panel to have a shot at the official AX autographs and they held the panel early on day 1 (Thurs). This is bad for fans since a lot of people cant make day 1 due to work and other commitments. To make things worse they implemented a new policy where autograph tickets were only passed out to the people who sat near the front. This screwed people since in previous years, that was not the case. Theres 2 autograph sessions, 1 right after the panel and another 2 days later. For the session after the panel they announced the WRONG autograph location leading to many people running around for nothing. I was lucky and I skipped the 1st session since I assumed it was going to be chaotic.

Now the 2nd session was 2 days later (Sat) at 11am. Knowing the line was going to be long, I arrived at 8am to find an interesting situation. There was a line and a group of very angry Momusu fans. Apparently on some websites it was listed as "first come first serve" so fans who missed the panel thought they had a chance at this session had waited 6-8 hours+ for a chance to meet Momusu. Many of these fans flew in from all over the world ONLY for Momusu, but they are being told that they have to leave. Needless to say, they were freaking angry and from what I can tell, have been arguing with the AX staff for hours. I got there in time to hear the AX staff explain that "its first come first serve, but only for those with autograph tickets." I show my ticket and they literally freak out as I walk past them into the line of people with tickets, some of them yelling in Japanese "What the hell? Why is that guy going?!." I guessing it was because I showed up only 3 hrs before while others have been there for who knows how long. So now Im standing in front of this angry group of people and wishing I wasnt there. The AX staff then leads the group of people with tickets to go up the escalator to the room where the ticket holders were supposed to wait, but theres a problem! Im at the end of the line and am out of the sights of the AX staff. As I head towards the escalator, I am stopped by the convention staff and am told that theres a limit to how many people can ride the escalator and I am forced to wait. The problem is I was never told to go up so I am sorta stuck at the bottom of the escalator near the angry group (who are still arguing with anyone and everyone who looks like they may be in charge). 20 min later the original AX staff who lead the group upstairs comes down, sees me and asks why I was still there and not in the room. I explain my situation and was instructed to go up the escalator. The angry group, seeing me go up the escalator, explodes. Theres a lot of yelling from confused Japanese fans and other people as I slowly ride this escalator upstairs. The last thing I hear is several AX staff yelling "STEP BACK! Did you touch her? I will throw you out right now! STEP BACK!". After 3 hours waiting in the room of safety, I met Momusu, had a nice short conversation with a few of them and shook all their hands. They were very nice and was glad I got to meet them.

Now this is not the end of this story of pain. A booth in the dealers room called Japan Files gave out special tickets that guaranteed Momusu autographs if you bought their CD. I had purchased their CD on day 1 so I had one of those tickets. I already had their autographs so now I was going to get a CD signed for my friend. The signing was from 2-4pm that day and seeing as I was guaranteed, I planned to arrive at 3:45pm, get the autograph and leave with little fuss. I get there at 3:45pm and I see chaos. It turns out that Japan Files was only supposed to give out 100 tickets according to Momusu producers, but Japan Files gave out 200. Now there was a huge argument between Momusu staff, AX staff and Japan Files staff over how to handle the situation. Momusu staff didnt want them to sign so many since they were tired and probably had cramping hands from a full day of signing, Japan Files didnt want to go back on their promise to their customers and AX wanted this situation with the mob of people in the dealers room resolved.

Now at this point I wanted to sneak out of the chaos and get out of there. I already had their autographs and so did my friend (she was with me at the earlier signing), so this autograph session was simply omake. I was fully willing to give this up to get out of the chaos. Unfortunately one of the staff (I think she was the translator the Momusu staff hired for translation purposes at AX) suddenly yells out "I dont care what is going on, but I am going to make sure this fan gets his autograph" while pointing at me. Now I cant leave and am sorta in the spotlight. After some more arguing, they eventually usher me and a few other people into the autograph area saying that we are the last group. I look at the girls and man do they look tired. Seriously, they look utterly exhausted. As I walk up to them, they suddenly brighten and appear to be excited (though I am sure they were acting). I get the autographs and get out of there as quickly as I can. I also think they probably remember me since the conversation I had with them earlier in the day was rather unique in nature. All the more reason to leave asap. I tell this story to my friend as I give her the autograph and she laughs saying "If I knew you were going to go through all that, I wouldnt have asked."

Though I was lucky enough to technically get 2 sets of autographs, I really felt bad for the many many fans who got screwed over. The Japan Files tickets sold out within the 1st hour of the dealers room opening on day 1 and you literally had to be sitting in the 1st 5-6 rows in the panel to get the AX tickets. Those were the only 2 opportunities to get autographs and thats real hard for fans to get and you literally had to be at AX right when it opened on day 1 with your badge and everything ready. You would have had to either run to the dealers to or the panel and an idea of what was going right as the con began. This pretty much screwed almost everyone except the extremely lucky and those who were familiar AX.

If you are interested, you can see the autograph here:
http://drscorpio.rubberslug.com/gall...?ItemID=319286
DrScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Shagami
Shy Cosplayer

My first Year of going to Anime Expo was in 2004, on the last day, during like the last 3 hours. (I was going to get there early that morning, but my mom had/has poor time management so we got there really late, and she had invited a kid of one of her friends to go with us, even though I just wanted to go with my mom since It was suppose to be for my birthday)
even though I got there late, I still had a ton of fun, and bought a few wall scrolls that I still have today. I was going to go with the anime club at my high school with my friends from that time, but they had all turned 18 before then, and my birthday wasn't until after AX that year, so I wasn't allowed to go with them
My next year I got to go was 2006, This was the first time I had gotten to really experience anime expo. It was also rather eventful since I ended up in the hospital on the morning 3rd day, due to an then unknown gallbladder attack. But I still had fun, even though I had to go home that afternoon. I got to met Man-Faye, see all kinds of awesome cosplays!

AX 2014:
Day 0 (2nd) Aura
Day 1 (3rd) Natalia
Day 2 (4th) Aura
Day 3 (5th) Natalia
day 4 (6th) Not Cosplaying.
I'll be at the Tales Gathering on the 5th!
Shagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
hanoo_chan

Uh...let's go with a kinda funny one.

Year: 2011

Day: 4

I was cosplaying as Chii, so I was wearing a fairly short skirt...shortest skirt I was wearing all weekend. I was only at the con center for 2-3 hours, and that was the day I got asked for more pictures during those few hours than the entire days I was there in different cosplays. It was also the first time I'd ever gotten asked for a picture by an 80-year-old...the first (possibly only) time I have ever said no to a picture as well.

Claret (Creatively Licensed) ~ Teahouse
Shampoo ~ Ranma 1/2
Miku Hatsune (Default Outfit) ~ Vocaloid
Tohru Honda (Summer Uniform) ~ Fruits Basket
hanoo_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Year: 2009

Day: 3

I was walking through the Dealer's Hall, and I managed to save a SERIOUS amount of the money I budgeted for the trip by this time, so I was indulging and deciding what to get. I stopped at a double-table with cases of DVDs and blu-rays. I'm sure most of you know which one I speak of. It has scads of messenger bags and scrolls along the wall.

I had just finished picking three box sets and I handed over my cash and waited for change. While I waited, I overheard a young Asian man and woman talking next to me and pointing at a Death Note wall scroll of Misa.

The girl said, "I think we have enough if we use what's left on my credit card and take out the last cash in our account, but I have to check."

The guy looked worried. "Can we get dinner later?"

"Maybe." The girl had a sheepish expression. "But I really want that scroll. Let me look." She walked away while I took my change from the cashier.

I looked up at the scroll and asked the cashier, "How much is that?" He quoted me a price of $22.00 and change. I don't remember the exact amount. "I'll take one," I said and I handed over the exact amount.

The girl came back shaking her head and saying something low. It wasn't good news. The man handed me the scroll and as soon as I grasped it, I turned my wrist so it hung in the air in front of the boy and the girl. They stopped talking and looked at me.

"What's this?" the man asked skeptically.

I smiled as harmlessly as I could. "I remember being a poor nerd at these things. Take it. I don't want it." I waggled the scroll at the last part to try and drive the point home.

The girl's eyes lit strangely, and the guy held up his hands. "We can't, man. I-"

I had to interrupt. "Look. I don't like Death Note. My wife doesn't like Death Note. My friends don't watch Death Note. Please don't make me waste my money." I held up the scroll a bit higher.

The guy slowly grasped the scroll and I released it.

"Thank you very much!" the girl said. It felt nice. I wasn't looking for thanks. I just really remember being a starving kid at a convention.

"Have a fun weekend," I added, and I took my box sets and walked away.

I only made it a few steps when a hand tapped my shoulder twice. I turned around and the guy was standing there with a stoic expression. He held out his hand.

"Really, man. Thanks a lot."

I shook his hand. "Really, it's no problem. And I'm serious. Have a great weekend."

We shook one more time and went our separate ways.

Last edited by Freight : 05-14-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
Resident-chick
Pineapple pizza sucks

So I believe I should add my own story.

Year-2011

So this was my first time actually going to a con with things planned. I was going to a gathering, cosplayes were ready etcetc...Until my brother Duke decided to tag along.

Now Duke..he was always into Anime. The big ones, Full Metal, Dragon Ball, One Piece..I thought he'd have a ball! But I guess I was wrong. I pulled an all nighter winging out a Envy cosplay for him, while I still needed to fix my Maka Scythe and was so happy to see him come out of the bathroom wearing that outfit. But as soon as we went in, back and forth, everytime I would get asked for a photo or stop at a booth, he'd flip a bitch at me and shout. Finally at the end of my rope, he started calling me a nerd and a werido for wanting to come to this dressed up and "Forcing" him into costume. Still, I had a soft shell that year and ran off crying to the bathroom like a little girl who got dirt thrown in her face. My makeup I was so proud of getting on was ruined, my pigtails were uneven from crying..I was sitting in a bathroom stall when I heard a knock.

My first response was to get up, shake It off and make room for whoever was having a good day. When I came out a mess, a girl, ((God bless you)) Was standing there in a large ballgown style dress. Obviously a pro at her craft, every detail I could see in blurry sights perfect. The first thing she did? Hug me tightly. Six foot two, crying girl and all she could do was try and comfort me.

Sitting me down on the counter she fixed my hair and offered to take me with her to hang out with her friends. But, this isn't the best part. I, unfortunately, had to decline her offer. Before heading our merry ways, she simply said "Don't worry, we'll always have your back."

At the time, I thought nothing of it. She was like a fairy god mother and I was fine with that.

Another story was the Soul Eater Gathering that year. I mean, I know I was a photo hog, but I met some of my current friends there which I am SO happy.

Year- 2012

Ah...god damn this year. I got to see my current girlfriend there in her Sollux Cosplay, my first time buying a Figma at a convention...The Anime Expo Homestuck gathering though? Tops it. I mean, I got a shit ton of views for it on youtube, I got my first kiss...shit, I think It was awesome.

Running around the next day, I got booby grabbed 2 ((One by a Shinra and another unknown)) As well as hosting a gathering. I ruined it, we'll leave it at that.

But, I think the best moment out of all that time? Getting to see that girl again...I don't think she remembered me, And I probably won't remember her face again, but I just smiled.

Yeah, Anime Expo is just another Anime convention. Sure, its a little nerdy...but really? All the things that have gone down there? I wouldn't change it for the world.
Fey- Welcome to Nightvale- 70%
Pandora- Devils Candy- 30%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
sexytime10
See you next week

@ AX 2012 I wanted to cosplay with a bud of mine. but our cosplay was pretty obscure (but it looked cool) and he said to me:

"cosplaying this is a retarded idea. no one is going to take our picture and the few that do are just going to do it out of kindness."

i replied "oh y-you too" and fiddled around with the warm spaghetti in my pockets a little bit before entering the con

we enter the con
walk about 10 feet into it

"can we take your picture?" and of course we nod and say yes

every 10 steps someone wants to take our picture, and we're a pretty huge hit but i say nothing to my friend the entire time
i say nothing, but every time we get our picture taken I pause, take off the mask, and slowly look at him with a giant grin on my face in utter silence. and all i do is see him look away in shame every time

g-good year...
after that con we had a bit of quarrel though unfortunately...
i just got in one little fight with him and my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in bel air"
i whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said "fresh" and it had dice in the mirror
sexytime10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
ScarletRhapsody
way past weird

Well, I usually do con reports on every con I go to. Here are my most recent visits to Anime Expo:

http://scarlet-rhapsody.com/traveling/ax2012/

http://scarlet-rhapsody.com/traveling/ax2011/

http://scarlet-rhapsody.com/traveling/ax2010/
ScarletRhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Shinigamiyoko
Heart-Throbbing Adventure

Year - 2012

I was dressed as Rumia from Touhou Project. A giant Kyubey cosplayer and his friends run up to me and say "Okay, this is going to sound weird, but can this guy pick you up and we'll take a picture?" And so I said "...Okay?" because I was a little confused. And so, Kyubey picked me up, his friends took a picture, and they all literally ran away. This was all in the span of 5 minutes or so, so afterwards I felt like "...lol was that a contract what just happened".
Also, the Touhou gathering was excellent and I made a lot of new friends!

Year - 2011

Here I am, into my 6th year of Anime Expo and I still cannot remember where the buses stop for loading at the Bonaventure. I mean seriously, when you stay at the SAME HOTEL for 5 years, you'd think I'd figure it out... orz
Anyways, I was at the wrong side of the hotel wondering if this was where the buses stop. I'd asked some staffers, but they seemed kind of confused as to what my question was. Danny Choo walks out of the hotel with his Mirai Dollfie, and I asked him for a picture of Mirai. He's a really nice guy, asking me some questions about how long I've been going and whatnot. He eventually left, and it was only about now I realized some other GoH's were coming out of this door. I suddenly remembered where the buses load. I then realized I probably looked like a random fan trying to sneak autographs or pictures out of the context of the con. I was so embarrassed, I got up and literally ran around the perimeter to the other side of the hotel >_<;;

Year - 2009

Same with DrScorpio's story, the Momusu autograph session was pretty badly organized, as far as I can tell. I just happened to get lucky enough to be able to attend the panel and get a ticket, and then lucky enough to find some other fans who had chosen the correct set of escalators to wait at. I ended up getting an autograph without too much waiting at all. I went to the first session, if I remember correctly.
I hope I helped a little when I gave an extra autograph board to a guy who didn't care about Momusu himself, but was desperate for something to get signed for his friend. I almost always have extra autograph boards for myself and whoever looks like they really need one, because I remember being that guy in 2008 and having to race to the dealer's hall and back to get a board, or having GoH's sign things that aren't really meant for signing.

Overall, there's been ups and downs, but it's been a good ride so far. If nothing else, I've learned a lot of patience and determination, stuff like that. I hope it continues from this year on!

Day 0 - Rumia (Touhou)
Day 1 - Noumi Kudryavka ~summer~ (Little Busters!)
Day 2 - Nonon Jakuzure ~middle school~ (Kill la Kill)
Day 3 - Sukuna Shinmyoumaru (Touhou)
Day 4 - Miku Hatsune ~arifureta sekai seifuku~ (Vocaloid)

Last edited by Shinigamiyoko : 05-20-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Shinigamiyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigamiyoko View Post
Year - 2012
up to me and say "Okay, this is going to sound weird, but can this guy pick you up and we'll take a picture?" And so I said "...Okay?" because I was a little confused. And so, Kyubey picked me up, his friends took a picture, and they all literally ran away. This was all in the
If you are still wondering what this was, maybe this was for a (photo) scavenger hunt, an event or contest that local cons sometimes run. They might have had something like "a cosplayer picking up another cosplayer". Basically you have to go around the con finding things (most are props or characters of some type) but some of the descriptions can also involve people doing things like that.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
El_Duque
miyoshi82

AX 2010

I had to sacrifice one or the other for both Yui Horie and Eri Kitamura. I decided to line up and go straight for their autograph session. I got in line around 6:30am, I know it's early but I'm also a long time SDCC vet so I treat AX as Comic Con if I wanted something so bad. Around 9:45 we began to move for the line going into the Exhibit Hall. The moment I got in, the retarded red vests were everyone in. I shouted, "This is bull$*()!". Retarded red vests couldn't do nothing since it was a stampede to the autograph area which was in the back.

AX Staffers tried to corral and force people back like we were cattle. Me and several people agreed to work together to get in line but it was hard as hell since everyone is standing around waiting for the green light to form a line. A green vest volunteer sympathized us and agreed to help some of us including myself. As the line formed, people were cutting with no authority whatsoever.

Here comes Horie and Kitamura, I was holding my CG helmet with my copy of Yui Horie's single My Silky Heart, which was the second OP of Toradora. I bought the copy the day before for this moment. As time began to tick, I was getting pissed because people were just chatting up with both GoHs like old war buddies. I was sweating bullets and my heart was pounding.

Here comes the clutch moment that I will never forget. Their agent was nice enough to extend for FIVE MINUTES. As the security guard kept letting people in line to get into the autograph table, I was about to break into tears because it became more than 5 minutes. As soon he let us in, my friends who were watching from a distance clapped and I almost broke into tears and even the guy who was in front of me gave me a hug because he knew I was there since morning.

Horie complemented on my CG costume and asked where it was from. Kitamura was very nice in person and the Director from Toradora was already in "I don't a &)(@" mode and signed my copy.

As I walked out, I pointed to the sky and thanked the man upstairs.
Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013
Anime Expo 2006-2011
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present

Last edited by El_Duque : 05-20-2013 at 01:42 PM.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
Shinigamiyoko
Heart-Throbbing Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
If you are still wondering what this was, maybe this was for a (photo) scavenger hunt, an event or contest that local cons sometimes run. They might have had something like "a cosplayer picking up another cosplayer". Basically you have to go around the con finding things (most are props or characters of some type) but some of the descriptions can also involve people doing things like that.
Ah, I see! I was slightly confused and wrote it off as a "lol anime con" kind of thing up until now, but that clears things up, thanks!

Also, congrats to you El_Duque, I remember waiting in that line and being waaaay too far back, but happy for the people that got in through that time extension :3

Day 0 - Rumia (Touhou)
Day 1 - Noumi Kudryavka ~summer~ (Little Busters!)
Day 2 - Nonon Jakuzure ~middle school~ (Kill la Kill)
Day 3 - Sukuna Shinmyoumaru (Touhou)
Day 4 - Miku Hatsune ~arifureta sekai seifuku~ (Vocaloid)
Shinigamiyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

last year aka 2012
Day 0:
Half of our group had premium and the other half didnt so we went w them at 9am. When we arrived, there wasn't even a line for premiere fan and the staff had no idea at first where to place us. Finally at 11, we get moved straight into the sun. However, the staff was nice and appoligized that it had taken so long to get us to the correct area and so they let us hill right in front of the door in the shade. It was great cause we met some epic people, along with seeing others from years past. In the end, (even though we were firstin line) some people snuck into the front and cut us, but we had so much fun we couldnt care.
Rest of Con:
Dealing with the x-games sucked. We always stay at the JW because of the closeness, but it sucked since a ton of xgmaes fans were there. They nearly threw up on my friend's giant miku dress, and fans stared at me and my friends like we were cattle when we ran around in our corsets for our hetalia outfits or our miniskirts when we fem!ed durarara..... Luckily there were some nice people who helped us out, but it was def an interesting experience.... My friend, who was celty, ended up getting asked a lot by this adorable group of 5-11 y.o. kids on a trip to the xgames if she was competing and they told her she was epic. (She loved this!)
The best part I have to say about last year tho, besides all the friends and meeting people, was getting to talk to Danny Choo. Ive loved watching Danny's show on cruncy roll and following him for awhile, and I was sad that due to previous photo shoots I couldnt make it to his panel. My friend who was on staff, knew of my sadness and for a birthday gift got Danny Choo to call me from the staff lounge to talk to me and wish me a happy birthday. THere's a photo of him looking out into the hall and thats when he was talking to me! I wish I could have met him, but talking on the phone was a definite high light~

Im looking forward now to this year. More than ever I have cosplay friends who Im excited to see and talk to, and Im excited to debut my cosplay group. ANd while I, still patiently waiting for the kpop group announcement to drop, Im just excited to know that Ill have friends to meet and see~
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote