Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
LemonFairy
Cosplayer in Training!

Unhappy Removing dye with bleach?

So, I'm working on a Vanellope cosplay (from Wreck-it Ralph), and she has striped leggings. My big ones turned out pretty good, because I waterproofed the areas I didn't want to dye beforehand, but my smaller stripes are a mess.

I dyed using a mixture of kelly green and teal from Rit (liquid dyes), and I dyed on leggings that are 95% cotton, 5% spandex (essentially 100% cotton) fabric. I need the non-dyed areas to be white.

Would diluting bleach and applying it to these areas help solve my problem? I know bleach isn't super recommended for natural fibers, and I'll be keeping an eye out for dye remover, but the only time I can get to Walmart is tomorrow, and mail is an issue because of the weekend (I'm a terrible procrastinator don't hurt me sigh).

If bleach doesn't seem like it would work, any other thoughts? Obviously, worst comes to worst, I cut up a t-shirt and sew some stuff on, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to.

Thanks!

Attending:
OhayoCon 2013|Leaky '13 (Portland)|ACen (?tentative?)|Anime Midwest (?)
Past Cons:
ACen [2007-12]|Blizzcon '10|C2E2 '11|Leaky '11, '12|MidWinter '11|Anime Midwest '12|
LemonFairy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Ronnichu
Hairy Hooligan

I don't have any experience using bleach to remove dye, but Rit does make a color remover that you should be able to get at Walmart. If that doesn't work, maybe try a paint pen from Walmart or a craft store? Those don't hold up very well long term, or at least not in my experience, but it probably would work as a quick fix and they're not too expensive. Just a couple bucks, if I remember correctly.
Ronnichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
LemonFairy
Cosplayer in Training!

Sadly I couldn't find the dye remover! I picked up a couple possible solutions (ribbon, paint, bleach) and am currently working on a small portion with Clorox bleach gel, using painters tape as an outline. It's working okay, and though I'm a bit nervous about bleach staining so far I'm hopeful. Figured I'd update just in case anyone has this issue in the future.

Attending:
OhayoCon 2013|Leaky '13 (Portland)|ACen (?tentative?)|Anime Midwest (?)
Past Cons:
ACen [2007-12]|Blizzcon '10|C2E2 '11|Leaky '11, '12|MidWinter '11|Anime Midwest '12|
LemonFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Ronnichu
Hairy Hooligan

If you get any weird bleach stains, just tell everyone that it's just some wear and tear from racing. ;]
Ronnichu is offline   Reply With Quote