Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 12-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
AshofRebirth

Moving Mermaid Tail

Hello. I'd like this cosplay this lovely lady in the future

I have everything else kinda figured out. But her tail stumps me.

Here is the model viewer:

http://www.lolking.net/models/?champion=267&skin=0

What I want is basically a way for me to walk like she does. Seems impossible right?
Well, I'm thinking of doing the standard mermaid tail (http://colt-kun.deviantart.com/art/H...ail-118291015), except without the monofin because her body is just too long to be way to swim like that.. And possibly anding some padding around the hips. And then to walk, I'd make a little pocket for my feet to reach the ground and have the tail flopping behind me.
But, I don't want the fin dragging on the ground (fear of people stepping on it, and it getting dirty) but I don't want to completely static either (like if I used wire to help it stay up off the floor.

I want the tail to be flexible. So that I can possibly pose it in different ways, and so that it mimics her movement in-game (Scroll down to one of the Idles or Run animation in the model viewer)

It's kind of hard to explain.. but if anyone kind of gets what I'm saying.. please help XD

P.S. - I don't even mind a string system to pull up the tail and make it move. But it has to be something seamless-looking and not TOO, too obvious.

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Penlowe

how about instead of the slit in the front and dragging the tail, you put it in the back? Feet poke out the back means the tail must swing up in front of you. Then you can just hide a tiny hook somewhere convenient on the tail and a loop on your prop to hold it up in front of you when you move around. It'll save wear & tear on the costume itself, no one is going to be doing full back photos unless your feet are tucked in anyway, and this avoids the 'am I being stepped on?' issue as you can prod rude people with your trident
Unread 12-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
AshofRebirth

I'd do that, except I look want the effect of it going behind me If you look at the model viewer, that's how she moves around. It'd just look odd with it in front of me.
I want it to be as accurate as possible (with a little leeway)

Unread 01-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
AshofRebirth

Bumping this up because I've been researching more.. and still yet to find anything. x.x

Unread 01-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

id go with the idea but in the back. but have it on a hook so when u walk it wont hit, but attach the end of the tail with some clear fishing wire (HA PUNS) so u can move it when ur posing. Oddly enough you dont want a ton of movement cause it will break the piece too much......
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
AshofRebirth

I actually do want it to move (hence the title). I don't mind making it out of stronger materials if it's going to "break".
People make drastically moving tails and such all the time. I just need the same thing but in a vertical motion ;__; Urrrg

Unread 01-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Irarenovo
cheesecake!

naaaamiiiii!!!

I think when people make centaur costumes they will use fishing line [or thin wire/ string] and string it to their legs to get the back legs to move. I would experiment with that first.. use a good metal grommet to thread it thru the back end of the costume so the line doesnt rub anything else while its moving. There's plenty of scales and things so you should be able to hide it pretty well.

Also with the bottom dragging along the ground I'd be tempted to use some kind of plastic so any friction with sidewalk / carpet / tiles wont rip up the bottom. since you want it to bend right at that point too, you might need to break it into parts with a more bendy material inbetween.

you should also carry a bubble ball to stun people :0
Irarenovo is offline   Reply With Quote