Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Unread 01-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Tigersoul

Question MLP:FiM - Pegasus Wing type?

This is something I've been debating... for a pegasus I've seen the "cartoony" wings made from felt/cloth (which are more accurate to the series portrayal) and actual feathered "angel" wings. I'm not sure which would look better. My brony friends have mixed opinions and are basically divided right down the middle...

Thoughts?

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Yavarice
Skymoose

Depends on the rest of the outfit; whether you're going for a cartoony look or artistic interpretation - both can look great!
(I personally went with toon - and used foam for wings)

A more practical answer would be: Whatever is easier for you to make!
Yavarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

I saw this one set of wings that was a combination of the two. She made feathered wings but the feathers were made of stiff felt.

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...wings#/d2drayj

That might be a nice midway point.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Tigersoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yavarice View Post
Depends on the rest of the outfit; whether you're going for a cartoony look or artistic interpretation - both can look great!
(I personally went with toon - and used foam for wings)

A more practical answer would be: Whatever is easier for you to make!
I'm not sure which would look better, honestly, since I'm obviously doing an anthro (not Gajinka) interpretation. (Amusingly her Winter Wrap Up outfit from 111)

Easier? Lol.
Caroony: print off pattern, trace onto felt, cut out, glue onto coat hanger, repeat x4. Done in 10 minutes
Feathered: Buy off eBay for $20 or less, wait 10-30 days, done. (only issue is it takes hours of searching to find the right shade of blue, 99.99999% of eBay "blue wings" seems to be "navy blue")

Effort in this case is not an issue lol I'm trying to figure out which would look better. (of course one argument I just realized is that if I'm going for accuracy, I should do the cartoony wings, since as per the X-ray from RiaW (216) each of the "feathers" is actually an appendage like a finger (the only way I can logic flying with this kind of anatomy is the wings are for control like rudders and the actual flying is done with Pegasus Magic) Though somehow, somewhere, there *are* feathers since Dash loses one escaping pinkie in one episode (MotFE 224) though while I can guess from RL birds wings, from the actual series animation I cannot for the life of me see where the feathers actually fall on the wings @_@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesra View Post
I saw this one set of wings that was a combination of the two. She made feathered wings but the feathers were made of stiff felt.

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...wings#/d2drayj

That might be a nice midway point.
I *LOVE* those! the only issue I have is that they're so big I'd be scared to wear them at a con, though I might make them for photoshoots or if I enter the costume contest (swap out whatever small wings I'm wearing for those)

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Winry
Nyao! :3

Yaya Han sells wonderful pegasus wings on her cosplay accessories website located here.