Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Sandninjer
Not a Ninja

Help with painting a sword

I'm taking my first stab at a steampunk costume. I have a white oak bokken (wooden katana) that I'll be using as part of my costume. Based on any of your experiences, what would be the best material to color it with? I was thinking maybe spray painting the hilt and the blade and then painting over them with regular paint for the details.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sandninjer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I would suggest that you sand it lightly first to make sure it's able to take the paint, and then use one of those metallic spray paints. They make one that is mirror finish. And then you could go back in with regular acrylic craft paints to add the details. Once that's all said and done, finish it with a good clear coat (it's up to you if you want to use a gloss or matte there). Make sure you allow plenty of drying time in between each coat or else it gets sticky and won't dry as evenly.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
MaiCosplay

I see you've joined the steam punk side. It depends on what look your trying to get; dull..shiny. If shiny follow what Media implied. if duller looking katana; double coat.
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
Sandninjer
Not a Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
I would suggest that you sand it lightly first to make sure it's able to take the paint, and then use one of those metallic spray paints. They make one that is mirror finish. And then you could go back in with regular acrylic craft paints to add the details. Once that's all said and done, finish it with a good clear coat (it's up to you if you want to use a gloss or matte there). Make sure you allow plenty of drying time in between each coat or else it gets sticky and won't dry as evenly.
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't quite sure what you meant until I started touching the surface of my bokken. There are some areas where I can see that it needs to be sanded, like around the guard/tsuba, before being able to paint it.

What's a good amount of time to wait in between though? Are we talking about a few hours? Honestly the last time I painted something was the walls of one of my apartments years ago.

Also, I've decided I'm gonna buy one of those small, plastic Nerf guns from the toy store and give it a paintjob makeover to go with my outfit. Do you have any recommendations on how to go about that as well? I'm looking to give it some of the typical steampunk'ish colors: black/brown/bronze/grey, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiCosplay View Post
I see you've joined the steam punk side. It depends on what look your trying to get; dull..shiny. If shiny follow what Media implied. if duller looking katana; double coat.
Heh yeah, I only attended one anime con so far and that was back in September. I wasn't really aware of what steampunk was up until a few months ago, though I've seen the stuff around before.
Unread 01-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

For the drying time, most cans of paint give you a recommended time, so just follow that and you should be right as rain. If in doubt, give it even more time. I've waited overnight just to make sure one some things before. Oh, and make sure to continually move the can as you spray or you will end up with thick globs of paint in areas and that just looks bad!

For the nerf gun, make sure you get spray paint for plastic or it won't work. Most plastics don't absorb paint like wood or other porous surfaces, so you need to make sure that on the can it says for use on plastics. Some plastic can even have a light sanding done to them, but do that at your own risk. Oh, and if you plan on carrying the gun at a convention, make sure you leave the tip orange. No matter how unrealistic the weapon is, if it's a gun they require an orange tip on it. Also, some cons don't allow guns that are able to be fired, so you might have to disable yours if you get one (whereas my brothers and I like to take out the air restrictors to make them fire even harder and farther because we are crazy).
Unread 01-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
Sandninjer
Not a Ninja

Quote:
For the drying time, most cans of paint give you a recommended time, so just follow that and you should be right as rain. If in doubt, give it even more time. I've waited overnight just to make sure one some things before. Oh, and make sure to continually move the can as you spray or you will end up with thick globs of paint in areas and that just looks bad!

For the nerf gun, make sure you get spray paint for plastic or it won't work. Most plastics don't absorb paint like wood or other porous surfaces, so you need to make sure that on the can it says for use on plastics. Some plastic can even have a light sanding done to them, but do that at your own risk. Oh, and if you plan on carrying the gun at a convention, make sure you leave the tip orange. No matter how unrealistic the weapon is, if it's a gun they require an orange tip on it. Also, some cons don't allow guns that are able to be fired, so you might have to disable yours if you get one (whereas my brothers and I like to take out the air restrictors to make them fire even harder and farther because we are crazy).
Haha! I think I'll remove the air restrictor for my own fun too, but that was invaluable info and if you hadn't told me that, I probably would've been stopped at the con. That was a ton of help.
Unread 01-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
MadYoshi

For the steanpunk look, I would recommend your base color in spray paint, then go in around the edges and/or creases with black acrylic/spray paint to give it a rusted look.

I haven't tackled my first gun or sword yet, but I paint my crafts a LOT, so ^-^

You might want to also VERY lightly splatter the paint all over your weapon.
- Ciel Phantomhive

Music is like Love
Without it, we would have nothing to live for

Cosplay is like Food
We need it to survive, and it's a pleasure to have

Anime is like Drugs
Once you get into it, your'e hooked

Last edited by MadYoshi : 01-11-2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: I need spell check.....REALLY bad XD
MadYoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
Sandninjer
Not a Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadYoshi View Post
For the steanpunk look, I would recommend your base color in spray paint, then go in around the edges and/or creases with black acrylic/spray paint to give it a rusted look.

I haven't tackled my first gun or sword yet, but I paint my crafts a LOT, so ^-^

You might want to also VERY lightly splatter the paint all over your weapon.
Cool. Do you mind elaborating a bit on the splatter part?
Unread 01-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
MadYoshi

You can pick the paint color of your choice and get some on a paintbrush, and gently flick the paintbrush, so the paint would splatter, Or you could just go CRAZY and get a glob of paint and swing your arm around and let it go EVERYWHERE XD

You could get a BRIGHT red, and use it as blood, OR you could get a dark brown or blackish color to make it look like rust
- Ciel Phantomhive

Music is like Love
Without it, we would have nothing to live for

Cosplay is like Food
We need it to survive, and it's a pleasure to have

Anime is like Drugs
Once you get into it, your'e hooked
MadYoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Sandninjer
Not a Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadYoshi View Post
You can pick the paint color of your choice and get some on a paintbrush, and gently flick the paintbrush, so the paint would splatter, Or you could just go CRAZY and get a glob of paint and swing your arm around and let it go EVERYWHERE XD

You could get a BRIGHT red, and use it as blood, OR you could get a dark brown or blackish color to make it look like rust
Ahh I get it. Yeah I like the rust idea. I'm not going for that whole bloody look

Much appreciated!
Unread 01-12-2014, 01:33 AM   #11
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandninjer View Post
Haha! I think I'll remove the air restrictor for my own fun too, but that was invaluable info and if you hadn't told me that, I probably would've been stopped at the con. That was a ton of help.
My brothers, friends, and I (the youngest of which is around 21 other than my 15 year old nephew that hangs with us sometimes) like to remove the air restrictors and have dart gun wars in my oldest brother's house. We are so grown-ups^^

But yeah, look at the weapons policy for whatever convention you are attending and it will tell you what you need to know about what you can and can't carry. Some conventions are a bit more strict with their rules than others, so just give the guidelines a look before you decide exactly what you need to do to your weapons before you go to the convention.
Unread 01-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
Sandninjer
Not a Ninja

Quote:
My brothers, friends, and I (the youngest of which is around 21 other than my 15 year old nephew that hangs with us sometimes) like to remove the air restrictors and have dart gun wars in my oldest brother's house. We are so grown-ups^^

But yeah, look at the weapons policy for whatever convention you are attending and it will tell you what you need to know about what you can and can't carry. Some conventions are a bit more strict with their rules than others, so just give the guidelines a look before you decide exactly what you need to do to your weapons before you go to the convention.
I'll be attending Katsucon and it seems like a lot of people are going there, so it'll probably have some of the stricter rules like you mentioned. I'll just do it to be on the safe side.

And I love still playing with toy guns! I'll be sure to keep the chamber free of pain so it could still launch darts or whatever afterward
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
Sandninjer
Not a Ninja

So I finally came around to buying the spray paint today. Gonna already be carrying a lot so I won't be bringing a toy gun with me. Will take photos of the sword once I'm done.