Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Unread 12-26-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
Persiflage88

Gender-Bending Bayonetta??

Really hope I'm posting this in the right place (my apologies if I'm not, it's an odd topic). Thought Crossplay at first, but not really what I'm thinking of.

Here's the idea: I don't want to cosplay the female character Bayonetta, I want to take Bayonetta's (feminine) costume and make it a masculine costume/character. I've not seen anything like this done before (did a few searches) and have a decent concept going:

1. Her heels are one of the centerpieces of her outfit, so I was thinking military or metalhead style boots (fitted with holsters of course).

2. Instead of a bodysuit, I was thinking skin-tight leather pants or jeans on bottom with a leather biker vest on top (half unbuttoned of course).

3. The devil is in the details here, since the challenge is to still have the character be recognizable. Things like the guns, the glasses, the armbands, the jewelry, etc. would all stay the same to further this purpose.

That's really all I've got so far. The genesis of this idea came from seeing things like Femzio and other male character costumes made feminine, so I thought "why can't I do the same thing in reverse?" Looking for input here, so anything you have to offer would be appreciated.
Persiflage88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Gonna have to do something with the hair too, of course. A giant exaggerated 50's-greaser pompadour, perhaps?

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Persiflage88

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. Maybe put a red streak in my hair instead of the ribbons or something.

I'm also trying not to forget that her character design is highly sexualized, so my re-imagining of the costume needs to be similarly.....charged. I'm not sure how to achieve this, other than the tight pants and open front vest. That's why her sleeves are troubling me; I kind of want to keep bare arms for this, but there's so much on her arms that I'm not sure where to go with it (belts, white sleeves, two-tone gloves).
Unread 12-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

I think something like this would be cool, looks sexy enough in my opinion.^^

But a bodysuit would also work I think, it did for this character.

I like your ideas, though.
In progress:
| Kaworu Nagisa - 85%| Uta - 75%|
| Human!Karkat Vantas - 75%| Seishuu Handa - 50%|
| Final Haikyuu Qest!Tooru Oikawa - 35%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
Persiflage88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LluviaSarcasm View Post
I think something like this would be cool, looks sexy enough in my opinion.^^

But a bodysuit would also work I think, it did for this character.

I like your ideas, though.

Uhhhhhh.......wow. Way to deliver! Definitely using that first piece of art as a rough guide. No idea how I'm going to do the top though. Looks a bit like a dress jacket with tails. Really long tails. Don't know how complex I can go with it yet. Probably won't be quite that detailed, simply because I lack the ability. But that's a hell of a good start.

I've been looking at boots, and these----> http://www.rivithead.com/catalog/harness-boot.html look a lot like what's pictured.

However, I was thinking more like these----> http://www.dmusastore.com/p-3666-1460.aspx for the military style.

As for the pants, I think any black skinny jeans will be the most cost-effective option. I also need to keep an eye open for some hipster glasses
Unread 01-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #6
Persiflage88

Update (in case anyone follows this thread)

Got black skinny jeans, biker boots and hipster glasses. Looking into getting the belts for my arms. Anyone know where to find cheap belts (found out getting 6 belts is actually pretty expensive)?

Also currently working on sewing chain onto the pants. Anyone have any suggestions for this?? I don't want the chain to sag, but I still want some freedom of motion (gotta be able to dance, obviously).